1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A man's game? Here's my girl's first Cultural Victory!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by MrMorbidino, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

Anyone who goes for cultural wins is a girl, whatever the make-up of their anatomy.

Civ is and always will be a war-game to me. I love to kill, destroy, and dominate. :)

2. LlamaCat

LlamaCat Emperor

:lol: actually once you get a girl, you find this game is helpful for having some "away time"

3. neriana

neriana Warlord

Right, because all men are violent aggressors and all women are pacifistic pushovers. Oh, and being a "girl" is a bad thing :rolleyes:.

LOTS of women play computer games. Working in a game store, I learned just how many do. But they tend not to post much on sites like this because they don't want to deal with the copious amounts of sexism and "omg girls don't play these games!!!!" Ugh.

Anyway, congratulations Marcella. Cultural victory is quite a coup.

4. Revan1000

Revan1000 Monarch

Yeah, when you get a girl and have little ones, you'll wish you're by yourself so you have time to play Civ. :D

5. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

well, it's not on sale, so who cares if you buy it? ;)

anyways, why would I lie? She does it. She learned to play chess with the computer, all by herself, at the age of 3... I'm not saying she is a genious: I'm saying that all kids are, given the right incentives (or at least, lacking the wrong disincentives).

In the end, she is my daughter... the daughter of a Civ1-2-3-4-? veteran, so why wouldn't she play early?

C-ya around,

6. the_elf

the_elf Warlord

Does she talk smack to Monty on the Deity setting? :lol: Seriously, that is pretty cool. I want Little_Elf to enjoy games like I do, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for him to be playing Civ all by himself, even if he was inclined to.

I did have Little_Elf playing a little bit of Guitar Hero with some help from me. He enjoyed the heck out of that.

What does her mom think about you getting her hooked on Civ? :)

7. Black_Waltz

Black_Waltz Chieftain

Congratulations!

I've only acheived one cultural victory myself. Not sure I can be bothered to try again.

As for the women and computer games debate - they're becoming a lot less male dominated then they were. Used to play WoW quite a lot - seems the population is nearly 60/40 for male to female. A lot of couples and such. My Mum is also quite addicted to Civ 3.

8. MarkM

MarkM Cow Herder

There is also the point that most reputable child development psychologists say it's actually harmful to their development to play video games that young. You want non-virtual, tactile interaction at the development stage (i.e. the whole Baby Einstein craze is a giant, counterproductive waste)

My son is 9 and plays video games a lot (too much). But I did not let him even start until he was ~4, all the games we played up til then were board/card.

9. scorth

scorth Chieftain

Congrats on the win! I'm not really a cultured man, myself *ahem*

But on women/games; my mother is quite heavily into Civ2 (their comp is pretty old!!). She's pretty good, although, she occasionally gives me her strategies, which are somewhat interesting: "You see, I'm attacking the Zulu's since they were picking on the French." Definitely not a warmonger!

10. MrMorbidino

MrMorbidino Chieftain

Me again: thanks for all the congratulations and the good words! Marcella also says thanks: she's not here because she's started another game :)

How I got her hooked? Well, I just thought she'd love the game because she's so into anthropology, history and we like to play together (we played loads of GO games! BTW anyone knows this ancient chinese game? Civ players would just adore it, it's pure strategy!!).
    We played some games together with same civ on our laptop when we were "on tour" (she plays guitar, I play drums)... then we started fighting over decisions ("We can't declare war on Cirus!" "Yes, we have to!"), so we got to multiplayer (lan) and finally to separate games... which seems to be the best solution: we share our best moments with no envy nor fear of the outcome ;)

Thanks again: interesting "community feeling", love these things!

Ciao!

Davide

11. MetaKing

MetaKing Chieftain

Posts are coming fast on this threat, thats because its about the men vs women discussion.

Its a shame that their are not more girls/women playing computer games.
    It probably is a social thing. from men it is better accepted if they act funny, do childisch and play games. Something I dont like about the real 'civilization' (should there be any) we live in.

because as a fammous sporting hero once said: 'we are all children the only difference are the toys'

And now no more philosofy for today from me, its time to play games:) :)

12. gaiko

gaiko Warlord

Congratulations Marcella! A cultural victory isn't simple or easy, it takes careful planning and execution.

My daughter always liked to zoom into the cute little piggie and sheepie animations. She was also interested in the female leader animations in a fashion mag kind of way, especially Catherine, since they have the same names. I wonder what she'd think of Boudicca? She played some easy games and would get interested in the logical Chess-game aspect of it, but I'd have to take over if there was any fighting. She'd cheer me on from the sidelines: "Go get'im! Yeah!" Kind of like the German shrieker women in Rome: Total War :lol:

Now it's on to the next level: Deity/Agressive AI ;)

13. Carnage04

Carnage04 Warlord

I get the same thing. My wife is a history major and freaks out whenever I talk about Civ. She's complained about historical inaccuracies...some bad portrayals of the leaders....etc. I try to explain that it's an alternative history type thing but she doesn't buy it.

Aside from that, I think it would be difficult to teach someone the game. I've been playing since Civ I and have slowly learned the game mechanics. Civ IV seems like it would be way complicated to a newcomer.

14. Valadon

Valadon Chieftain

My partner is 50 yrs. old and has been playing rabidly since Civ I. She points out that many more people play Civ than you think and she believes that many of the people on the forums are females who do not say they are females because they get hit on, laughed at ect. Indeed, from the online Names how many people on the forums can you identify as female or male? Which am I? And she loves to crush her opponents with military victories. No, sterotypes are just that. No way to prove it but I think a third to 40% of Civ players are female.

15. angelus512

angelus512 Warlord

Tried to get my girlfriend to give me ONE game of civ LAN style. It was at that point that she accused me of being a geek (she loves to do that whenever i get near a computer for any reason).
    It was at that point I felt compelled to defend myself. Laptop went away, pants came off.

16. Nooble

Nooble Warlord

For the whole time that I've been here, I never knew you were a girl.

lol

17. Mantees

Mantees Chieftain

She could like Europa Universalis 3 then.

18. eewallace

eewallace King

Just to prove that women can love this game:

I'm currently playing the Kmer because: (a) The flag is a really pretty color; (b) the units are really awesome looking, particularly the workers and ballista elephant; (c) I get to build Ankgor Wat in Ankgor Wat!

And of course I love crushing my opponents...

19. Lurking Liu

Lurking Liu Prince

She'd probably like EU2 more than EU3. EU2 had historic events that would affect the game. Just... Just don't play as China. Freaking Manchus... Can't win for losing.

20. Gorgo

Gorgo Chieftain

Love to get the missus involved, just so I could roll some tanks into her capital. That's not a euphemism by the way.