1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"A Matter of Time"

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by G-Max, Oct 10, 2011.

1. G-Max

G-Max Chieftain

One of the problems with Civ 4's approach to game speeds is that when people decide to play on "Epic" or "Marathon", it's because they want a more epic experience, not the same experience at a slower pace. To understand what I mean, when I watch the four-hour-long versions of the Lord of the Rings movies, it's because they have an actual hour of stuff that wasn't in theaters, not because they're just the theatrical versions played back at 75% of normal speed. When it comes to Civ gaming, this normally isn't a huge problem - units still move the same number of spaces and attack the same number of times per turn regardless of game speed, and Marathon in particular doesn't slow down unit-construction as much as it slows down everything else, allowing more "action" to happen in the same number of virtual years. In RFC, though, the speed issue is extremely noticeable; even on Marathon, there's no way for Rome to expand from its historical 234 BC borders to its historical 44 BC borders in those 38 turns, or from its 234 BC borders to its AD 116 borders in those 70 turns. It should not take longer to train a Phalanx than Alexander took to conquer the known world. My solution?

"A Matter of Time"

This isn't a mod-mod so much as a mod-tweak. Go into Beyond the Sword\Mods\RFCMarathon\Assets\XML\GameInfo, open up CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml, and change every value for Epic and Marathon speeds to be the same as the values for Normal, except the research times (and maybe culture). The result is horribly unbalanced, but oh so much fun!

2. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Haha. Try RFC: DoC or my mod (see siggy). They generally fix the issue of Rome not having an empire large enough.

3. hoplitejoe

hoplitejoe Top fun-poster

I may try this sometime :D