A moderate warmonger penalty is -16!!??

The penalty for me was also -16 after I denounced and declared a formal war. Surprise war was -24.

But it decreases by 1 every turn. So 16 turns later everyone has forgotten about the war. Its temporary. Maybe thats different for surprise war or if tou capture/ raze cities

I don't think you're using the Causus Belli. Formal War is basically one step above surprise war but it's still pretty bad.
Yeah but it shouldn't be. Egregious penalty needs to go out the window. Then surprise war should give a severe penalty. For a CB there should be a moderate penalty. I wish we could mod already.

It feels as if there's no point to playing peacefully (unless you absolutely can't win in a war). The moment conflict starts, it's either full out annihilation, meaning all enemy cities razed except their capital, or you turtle and don't march out. Taking a few cities at a time simply makes the city extremely hard to manage because the whole city turns on you the moment you enter war again against their original owner.

That's also a reanimation from CiV vanilla. Beating an invading AI but only taking a few cities, meant you would be reinvaded in 20 turns, but with all your trade deals cancelled by every other AI as punishment for your small gains. It was BNW that gave us enough cushion to nibble at a strong neighbor the entire game while keeping tech and culture cost inflation low.

Probably the best thing to do for now, for so-called peaceful play, is match the AI in crazy army strength so it doesn't re-declare.

Yup diplo is a bust, again. It's all just fluff, some very nice sounding stuff like Casus Belli, but it's all just shiny buttons that don't do everything different other than slow your war down a few measly turns.

Tried my best to be nice to everyone in my first few games, set up some trades, send some delegations, still ended up at war with half the globe.

Now I just :devil:cleanse:devil: my continent before medieval and send a navy to everyone who disagrees with my egregious warmongering...

I noticed you don't get a penalty when the AI is the aggressor, but that changes if you don't negotiate a peace deal when they offer it. This could be affecting some games.

I noticed you don't get a penalty when the AI is the aggressor, but that changes if you don't negotiate a peace deal when they offer it. This could be affecting some games.
Very nicely said. I feel the same.

Yes well that should be changed if it is an issue. It is not my fault if the AI declares war on me and then wants peace on its own terms. To hell with that. We should not have to play the game to appease a schizo AI. That is simply no fun and it ties our hands.

Thats because he is your friend. My problem is that Ai get angry at you for one war if you aren't friends with them.

Can you olso delete the warmonger penalty?

Olso i like the mod maybe you should publish it at the forum civ 6 mod forum. so other people could see it. We are not the only one complaining.

it would be actually very interesitng to find out what the world would look like in ren/ind era if you set those numbers to 0...but I guess AI won't understand that all those "sever" diplomatic penalties are now 0...

Yup diplo is a bust, again. It's all just fluff, some very nice sounding stuff like Casus Belli, but it's all just shiny buttons that don't do everything different other than slow your war down a few measly turns.

Tried my best to be nice to everyone in my first few games, set up some trades, send some delegations, still ended up at war with half the globe.

Now I just :devil:cleanse:devil: my continent before medieval and send a navy to everyone who disagrees with my egregious warmongering...
that's what people who like civ V can't understand... making huge warmonger penalties basically means no diplomacy in the game...

I don't understand what was so wrong with civ IV diplomacy where friends stayed friends and the only backstabber was human... it's not like the AI has a chance on fair field to make them act like human in diplomacy...

With my experience, I can't help but feel the only folks who are having harsh repercussions due to war are people that are ignoring diplomacy.
i second this.
i didnt have any problems with limited conquest even in civ5 and in civ6 there are leaders like Trajan who like warmongers so when i took out russia he got to love me only more

Last edited:
The warmonger penalties are a bit annoying and it seems even the AI don't want to declare war because of this. I've made a simple mod and it seems to work fine. Just extract the content to C:\Users\<Whatever>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods and select the mod in "Additional Content". Feel free to change the numbers within the Warmonger.xml :)

Edit:
I changed the values to 0, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 20, 20.
The original values are 0, 8, 16, 24, 32, 32, 32, 32.
You're a rockstar! Gonna keep going with a few more games as set by the devs first though.

I care not for their penalties. When I see "They think you're a warmonger" my response is "And yet you draw attention to yourself....lets explore how unwise that was".

The penalty for me was also -16 after I denounced and declared a formal war. Surprise war was -24.

But it decreases by 1 every turn. So 16 turns later everyone has forgotten about the war. Its temporary. Maybe thats different for surprise war or if tou capture/ raze cities
Although, if they denounce you, that's sticking around, no?

Yes well that should be changed if it is an issue. It is not my fault if the AI declares war on me and then wants peace on its own terms. To hell with that. We should not have to play the game to appease a schizo AI. That is simply no fun and it ties our hands.

I think there's merit to the argument that a "white peace" (nobody gains anything) should be accepted if you truly didn't want war. Granted, I think this really only applies if nobody has lost anything. If you've lost some units, had your land pillaged, etc., I could see wanting some compensation. And I'm always sympathetic to the argument that you need to reduce the AI's military strength so they don't do it again (although, realistically, you probably have if it brought them to the table). But if you think you're entitled to take cities as punishment for your declaration of war, that's kind of a warmonger's attitude.

This is very interesting, I must admit to not seeing the decrease. It might make it almost palatable.. Will go back and take a better look. Thanks.

I thought the decrease in warmongering was supposed to be 1 every other turn? And yeah, warmongering penalties are way too stiff. Also, as Aztec I constantly like fighting before there are penalties and yet it still seems I get warmongering hate which is baffling.

From what I have observed through my play and others is that taking out 1-2 civs early is the new REX. Early game armies are so strong in the hands of the human player and the no penalty window is short. After you have clawed out your section of the world it is time to cultivate that land and grow those cities. (and walk the whole map to make sure no barbs are popping up...this is seriously way more annoying than having to micro workers or tile placements in 4 and 5.) Once you are in the Industrial era go and take out the rest of your enemies and forget about being friends with anyone ever again or find a friend and ride out the easy science victory.

Top Bottom