1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A MOO2 question, out of curiosity

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Games' started by Aabraxan, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Of all the games of MOO2 that I've played, one thing that I've never seen is the AI using a wormhole. It's as if the AI either doesn't see them or just doesn't know how to use them. I'm curious as to whether this ever happens. Has anyone ever seen the AI jump through a wormhole?

2. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Yes they will use wormholes and you need to be prepared if they come. I have had them pop up on me from time to time, it is just that you tend to not have near your home.

3. Aabraxan

Was that patched in? I've been playing since ~1998 and I cannot recall even a single instance of the AI popping through a wormhole. Now, I've had stealth ships appear on me, but never been attacked through a wormhole. I think I've got version 1.31, IIRC.

4. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

That is what I use. It is uncommon that is true. It has been at least 2 years, since I had it occur. I still get in at least one game a month on average.

5. Aabraxan

As always, vmxa, thanks for the information. Just when I think I've seen it all in this game, something jumps up to surprise me. When I first got the game, I avoided building colonies in wormhole systems, because I was afraid that the AI would pop through and attack me, but I quit worrying about that a long time ago. I guess I should worry about it a little more. :lol:

6. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Just a very little, I suspect it was not so much of plan as happenstance.

7. RefSteel

RefSteel Pacifistic Technologist

No hard data to back this up, but I suspect what happens is this: The AI just always sends its ships directly from the system they're in to their target star. This means (for instance) if you and an AI have colonies at opposite ends of a wormhole, the AI might "accidentally" take advantage of the fact and send ships through. If the AI's ships are (say) 2 parsecs away from the far side of your wormhole though, they'll head to your colony the long way instead of making the simple two-turn, always-out-of-scanning-range trip.

8. Aabraxan

Could be. I know that I've fought wars on the other side of huge galaxies before, "knowing" that the AI wouldn't come through the wormhole to get me. I'd just send a fleet through the wormhole, kill off whatever occupied the other end, drop an outpost and move on, until it was time to go back through the wormhole for refitting.

9. malicious bloke

malicious bloke Warlord

I have seen the AI use wormholes once or twice, so I always make sure any wormhole system I control is pretty well fortified

10. ottawan

ottawan Chieftain

I have noticed that the Silicoids will use a wormhole to attack just as they declare war.

11. MXB

MXB Chieftain

I think the computer is to stupid to use wormholes. I think I read somewhere that it is not programmed to take them into account. Like one poster wrote, when they use them it is by accident.