1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Most Ambitious Tale...

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Son_Of_Dido, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

or, "The Gauntlet"

31 Civs fight for survival on a 180x180 map.

Again.

And Again.

I'm going to attempt to beat ALL EIGHT difficulty levels of Civ3Complete, using ALL EIGHT victory types exactly once. I'll be competing on a 180x180 world map with 40 random starting locations. Each level I'll be using a new, randomly selected start point, and each level I'll be using a new, randomly selected tribe [no repeats of either.] I have halved the corruption rate for all 8 difficulty settings, and all wooden ships (curragh to Privateer) have been given +1 movement across the board.

Part of the fun and challenge of this gauntlet is potential "wasting" of a first tier civ, a strong starting location, or a more achievable victory type on one of the easier levels and thus denying it to myself on Emperor or above where I'd really need it. Hopefully this will also counterbalance the unfair advantage I'll have of gradually becoming more and more familiar with the map and where the important resources are as I move up the difficulty ladder. Also, I have never won above monarch before, so the possibility of my eventual failure runs high. I really just want to see how far I can get with this, I don't expect a final win. But telling the tales and posting screenshots should be tons of fun nevertheless. Maybe my story can stand the test of time even if my tribes don't. :)

But, I do have one secret weapon; the curragh. Why is the curragh a secret weapon? Because I have checked the "naval transport" flag for it, along with the "load" and "unload" action flags, and given it a transport capacity of 1. I have no idea if the AI will figure out how to stack curraghs and carry settlers in one and defending units in the other or not, but this may give me an early leg up on sea exploration and colonizing islands. Provided, of course, I actually get a coastal start. It's an advantage I don't really need on Chieftan and Warlord, but it might (then again, might not) be enough to save my skin on Demigod. We'll find out.

This map has A LOT of goody huts. That could mean easy research or a horde of barbarians. Speaking of which, I have set Barbarian activity to random, so who knows how much of a factor they will be on any given level.

Speaking of the map, one adjustment I have made is to make a grand total of 40 starting locations, sprinkled somewhat evenly over the map. Europe is still crowded of course, but at least South America now has more than one. No civ and no player is assigned to any particular location, although every civ's historical start location is possible, with the exception of Portugal, as the Iberian Peninsula on this map is so small they would literally be starting one tile away from Spain; the settlers could shake hands. Not that Spain, or Portugal, or anyone else will necessarily start there. :)

Other than that, I've got my wordpad, I've got my screenshot program, and I've got my online image hosting page, and I'm ready to go.

Once again, keep in mind: I have *NEVER* won any game of Civ above the monarch difficulty level, and in fact I've only finished out a Monarch game successfully once. Glory or Humiliation Awaits...

2. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

For the curious, the 40 starting points correspond (roughly) to these real world modern day map locations:

NORTH AMERICA:
    America, Atlantic Coast (Washington DC)
    Eastern Canada, on the Hudson Bay
    Near The Great Lakes
    Los Angeles
    Gulf of Mexico, a little SE of Mexico City/Tenochtitlan

SOUTH AMERICA
    A little south of the Yucatan Peninsula (Nicaragua?)
    Andes Mountains (Cuzco)
    Uruguay
    Eastern Brazil, just off the coast

AFRICA
    Tunisia/Carthage
    Nile River
    Niger River
    Lake Victoria
    The Transvaal

MIDDLE EAST
    Arabian Peninsula
    Tigris/Euphrates
    Central Anatolia
    Iran

ASIA
    Northern India
    At The South of the Ural Mountains, on the Caspian Sea
    Cambodia
    Southern China
    Northern China
    Korean Peninsula
    Mongolian Steppes
    Near a 4-tile Lake in Central Asia (western china?) that looks pretty cool
    Japan

OCEANIA

Large, Westernmost Indoneisan Island (Jakarta?)
    Western Australia/Perth
    Eastern Australia/Sydney

EUROPE

London
    Belfast
    Paris
    Madrid
    Rome
    Athens
    Constantinople/Istanbul
    Berlin
    Moscow
    Stockholm

Coming Soon...

Book The First: Chieftan. Expecting an easy but tedious win -- no matter who I am or where I start -- as I try to get a "harder" victory type out of the way on a level where I can still afford to pussyfoot around.

3. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Looks like an interesting story, Son_Of_Dido! Spamming to subscribe and wish you luck! :goodjob:

4. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

ROUND 1
    CHIEFTAIN

Tribe: England
    Starting Location: South Africa

4000 BC: Well well well, an orange colored nation in southern Africa. For free. Right, well, we've got a long way to go, let's get this started. Seafaring civ with a coastal start, and on Chieftain the field of possibility is wide open. Found the city of Cape Town (not London) in 4000bc, and send that worker south to irrigate and road the cattle. Hey! Not only do I see gold, but diamonds to the west. Woo Hah. Let's start building a warrior to explore and start research on writing at 0/10/0, due done in 39 turns, or about 1800 years.

3750bc: There's our first warrior, Nigel the Intreped Axeman. Let's send Nigel northwest through the mountains. He sees more mountains, more gold, and another cow. Meanwhile the cow has been roaded and will soon be irrigated for a mighty 4 food. The road drops our research time to 28 turns now. (Look, there's not much else to report on at this point in the game.)

3700bc: Oh goodie, Nigel spots a goodie hut to the west, in the desert, two tiles away.

3600bc: The most eventful year in English history to date. Cape Town churns out its second warrior, Graham the Other Intrepid Axeman, who heads southwest. The worker finishes irrigating the cow and now heads north to the wheat. Cape Town starts work on a Curragh, which will have an awesome FOUR movement points due to England's seafaring and my rule adjustment. Also, Nigel pops the goodie hut and, thanks to a tiny tribe of Burgundians, doubles the size and scope of our world map. It's a veritable golden age! Wow, there's incense to the west on the other side of the desert, and I see ivory in a forest to the south. Three luxury resources in very close range. Cape Town is now size two and will be finished with writing in 21 turns.

3550bc: Nigel heads north. Graham heads south and sees another goodie hut! I told you this map has a lot of them.

3500bc: Cultural border expands. Nigel continues north. Graham closes in on that goodie hut.

3450bc: A friendly Alemanni settler wants to join our despotism! Graham is a master of diplomacy. The spot looks good, and even though a couple tiles inland near that ivory looks even better, we'll settle here, and the Alemanni Settler founds the Orange Free State in 3450bc, which starts out working a fish tile, making it an ideal early worker pump, so that is what it shall be. Worker due in 10. Writing now only 12 turns away thanks to the population boost.

3400bc: The first curragh, the HMS Alfred, is finished, and promptly heads east to see if there's anything of note on Madagascar. Cape Town will now build another curragh which I'll probalby name after Sir Walter Raliegh and send north. Speaking of North, Nigel continues that way and sees another Ivory Forest. Graham will head south of the Orange Free State and sees bugger all of interest. He's already done great deeds, though.

3350bc: The worker finishes roading the wheat and starts irrigating.

3250bc: Nigel spots another goodie hut on the opposite side of a lake.

3200bc: Yes, I named it after Sir Walter. Cape Town launches its second curragh and will churn out a settler next.

3150bc: Graham has gone as far south as he can and turns north. The Worker finishes irrigating the wheat and now turns his attention to chopping the forest to speed along the settler. Madagascar doesn't look to be worth colonizing so far.

3100bc: Nigel acquires a Phonecian map that reveals another goodie hut to his North. Worker starts chopping. Nothing worthwhile on Madagascar, although I haven't unlocked any strategic resources yet either, so who knows.

3050bc: Aha! As Nigel and the HMS Sir Walter head north, they spy a cultural border in some shade of lavendar. The Sir Walter is able to reach their border and spy the warrior garrisoned in their town. It turns out to be The Vikings, drawing the Lake Victoria starting point, and they already have Ivory within their cultural border. We have pottery, but they'll only give 10 gold for it, and not warrior code. Ragnar is a stingy trader. Or perhaps he knows that as soon as I can make Archers I'm likely going to make an Archer Rush and kill him. But anyway, he refuses to trade me warrior code, and the crew of the HMS Sir Walter leave Scandinavia empty handed. Thus the hostilities between Englishman and Norseman began. (Maybe.)

3000bc: Graham has hit the coast of SW Africa and continues to explore. HMS Alfred rushes around the cape to meet him. HMS Sir Walter heads Northeast towards the Horn and Arabia, while Nigel heads towards the Congo and that goodie hut.

Meanwhile, Lord MacCauley ranks the largest nations in the world. No trace of British South Africa, or their Viking neighbors to the north. Maybe Africa just hasn't been discovered yet? :)

2950bc: The Orange Free State produces a worker, who runs north to aid our starting worker, though he'll be done chopping the forest by the time "help" arrives. Let's Zoom out and take a look at the map of the known world, circa 2950bc:

2950bc: Writing is due next turn, adjust slider to 8/2/0.

2900bc: Writing researched, slider goes back to 0/10/0, Code of Laws due in 16. Cape Town builds a settler and starts on another. Now that we know writing, we can establish embassies with our neighbors... er, neighbor. Except we can't, because we only have 22 gold and a embassy with the Vikings costs 40. Nigel pops that hut,and the Burgundian Tribe (again) teaches us Ceremonial Burial. Woo hoo. The HMS Sir Walter spots another hut on the Horn Of Africa, but we can't do anything about it yet.

2850bc: Dun dun dun, Nigel has spotted a barbarian encampment to the west of the Viking homeland. In other news, our two workers have joined forces at last. The forest is long gone; they now build a road on the exposed grassland tile. HMS Sir Walter is rounding the Arabian Peninsula and spots another goodie hut, and... a mustard colored cultural border. Hmm, this isn't one of the usually used 16 civ colors, so this could be anybody. We'll find out next turn.

2750bc: Aha, Carthage. Say hello to Hannibal. You know, now that I think about it, now that I look at him, there's something very familiar about that face...

No, really, check it out:

Anyway... Much better trading opportunity here. He has Bronze Working, Masonry, Warrior Code, and 10 gold. I have Pottery, Ceremonial Burial, Writing, and 22 gold. I trade my three techs for his three and his money. The crew of the HMS Sir Walter politely wave goodbye to our friends who will one day have oil that we'll need to take from them. Meanwhile, our settler moves into position on a floodplain tile that will have wheat, two gems, and ivory within its radius when he builds a city next turn.

But that will have to wait for next time. To Be Continued...

5. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

You're off to a running start, with a good storyline! And an ambitious goal. Looks like victory is already half yours on Chieftan, good luck on the higher levels!

6. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

Hey, it's good to hear words of encouragement from you in particular.

I'm reading through the back pages of your tale of Greek World Conquest on I believe the same map, and that's actually one of the stories and tales I've read here that was an influence/inspiration for me to use that map and tell some stories.

7. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Off to a great start, Son_Of_Dido! Have you chosen a victory condition? With that start, you should pretty well be able to pick whichever you like.

8. Luumi

Luumi Chieftain

An African or European start always calls for Conquest, or at least Domination! :)

9. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

Round 1, Part 2

2710bc: Settler founds The Transvaal and starts building a warrior. Graham boards the HMS Alfred. HMS Sir Walter sailes all the way to the Tigris/Euphrates starting point and finds it unoccupied. The workers are roading a gold hill. Nigel moves into position on the barbarian axis to do battle with that encampment.

2670bc: Nigel successfully defends against one barbarian, and then successfully attacks the other, dispersing the encampment and acquiring 25 gold for our treasury. Alfred sails up the west coast of Africa with Graham on board, while Sir Walter doubles back out of the Red Sea and starts to sail east towards India and South Asia.

2630bc: Sir Walter sees an army green cultural border far inland, but can't make contact as it is just a little boat. Nigel fortifies to heal from his assault on the barbarian camp.

2590bc: Nigel, now healed, heads north. The workers move to a gem mountain. Sir Walter probes the coast of the Subcontinent, looking for a contact with that army green civ. HMS Alfred hits paydirt; a hut on a one tile island off the coast of West Africa. Time for Graham to disembark! The friendly Iberian tribe gives us a conscript warrior. In honor of their generosity, we'll name him The Iberian. The Iberian gets in the HMS Alfred, who uses its last movement point to go back to mainland africa. Next turn The Iberian will disembark and Alfred will go back and pick up Graham, who enjoys a one turn island vacation.

2550bc: The Transvaal builts a warrior, Clive The Yet Another Intrepid Axeman. The Transvaal is growing slowly, 16 turns away from growth, so it will build our first building; a barracks due in 14. The Iberian finds a goody hut. Graham the Other Intrepid Axeman gets back on the HMS Alfred and they sail west and see ANOTHER goody hut. HMS Sir Walter sails down the west coast of India, still no nearer that olive green civ.

2510bc: OFS builds another worker who heads to join the others. Cape Town builds a settler and starts on another one. This settler is bound for the southwest corner of the cape filling up those last tiles so we can then commit to expanding north. Clive starts heading north. Nigel, already north, heads even further north, trudging through the ring of mountains around the Viking town of Trondheim. Haha, The Iberian pops a goody hut, which leads to his old people, The Iberian Tribe, teaching us the secret of the wheel.

A quick scan of the map for horses reveals one, on the eastern coast of Africa, but its much closer to Trondheim than Cape Town. Graham is not so lucky this time, as he disembarks and pops a hut, but disturbs angry Khazak warriors. He does, however, spot an olive green border a couple tiles away.

2470bc: Sir Walter sails around the tip of India, which on this map includes Ceylon as opposed to it being a separate island. Graham moves up and touches the olive green border.

It is Mongolia, in the Niger River basin. Temujin only has 50 gold and no technologies to trade, so never mind with that.

2430bc: Nigel finds a hut, and the Magyar tribe teaches us Mysticism. Graham moves onto the axis to deal with that angry Khazak warrior. Looks like Sir Walter will finally connect with the army green civ next turn.

2390bc: Graham not only survives the attack with nary a scratch, but gets promoted to veteran! Next up: traversing through/around Mongol territory towards another goody hut that HMS Alfred has exposed on the west african coast. HMS Alfred finds another hut on the one-tile Canary Islands.

Turns out the army green civ in india is the Ottomans, but Osman has nothing worth trading for, only 10 gold, so once again the crew of the HMS Sir Walter waves hello, and goodbye, and moves on. They are rather well practised at this process by now, I should imagine. The third worker starts building the road and finishes, bringing Gems to Cape Town. And there was much rejoicing. Yay. The first two workers move through The Transvaal and to the ivory forest.

Temujin huffs and puffs at Graham. A quick check shows that Temujin has 48 gold and a worker, lets see what he'll take for it. Alphabet? No, not quite enough. Masony and Mysticism will seal the deal, so we'll do that as "amends" for trudging through Karakorum.

2350bc: the third worker follows the other two to connect that ivory. Our newly acquired Mongolian slave starts working on plains near Cape Town. 105 gold, maybe we can afford some embassies now. 39 gold will get us a Viking embassy. 56 nets us one with Mongolia. Wow, there goes most of our gold, we're down to 10, not nearly enough for one with Hannibal or Osman yet.

2310bc: Graham nears in on that goody hut. HMS Sir Walter is sailing around Vietnam, Code of Laws is due next turn, set slider to 9/1/0 to get +18 gold next turn. Our settler is in position to build our next town, Johannesburg. Nigel, Clive, and The Iberian all continue inching north, mapping southern and central africa.

2270bc: Code of Laws mastered, start work on Philosophy. 100% research will bring it in 8 turns. Johannesburg is founded, and starts on a Temple to expand its borders. Make that 7 turns until philosophy.

2230bc: Ivory connected, workers move to hill to connect Johannesburg to the network. Graham pops a hut and gets a near-useless map from the goths. HMS Sir Walter gets to Indonesia, and the "Jakarta" starting point seems to be unoccupied. Nobody to wave to but a barbarian camp this time.

2190bc: More exploration.

2150bc: Graham has a barbarian advance on him, but he ignores it to attack a camp NW of the Mongols. He wins, picks up 25 gold, and gets promoted to Elite.

2110bc: the three workers have connected Johannesburg, and move north to connect a second gem mountain. OFS builds another worker, Cape Town builds a settler, each start building more of the same.

2070bc: Graham gets back on the HMS Alfred, which has waited for him patiently, and sails to that hut on the Canary Islands. Nigel has made his way to the horn and that one goody hut there, and will pop it next turn.

2030bc: The Bulgars give Nigel 25 gold. The Iberians give Graham a map that consists entirely of water tiles that the HMS Alfred has arlready mapped himself.

HMS Sir Walter arrives in Western Australia and finds a light brown bordered civ that turns out to be The French.

35 gold, no new technology, so no trading. Slider goes to 7/3/0 with Philosophy next turn. Also, The Iberian fortifies, as a barbarian advances on him.

The Iberian survives the attack.

1990bc: We have learned Philosophy!

But we do not get The Republic as a free tech for some reason???

Could it possibly be that somewhere some civ, even on chieftain, has managed to pop it from a hut and beat me to it? I quickly check all the civs I've contacted and check what I'm up on them in technology. I seem to be up only by Code Of Laws on Carthage. They have philosophy. I don't know if they learned it first, but they had it before me. They probably have a lot more contacts than I do, as they are closer to a probably crowded Europe. An Amazing development for The Gauntlet; failing to get the republic slingshot on CHIEFTAIN. Should not have traded them writing earlier, I guess. Lesson learned, hopefully by Monarch level I will not be so sloppy with my tech trading.

(Unfortunately, there is no screenshot evidence of this event, as I was so surprised I forgot to take one. Just as well, since no screenshot would have been able to compare to the look that must have been on my face at this point.)

Anyway, we research Republic at 1/9/0, due to finish in 34 turns. We're researching at 90% because The Transvaal has completed its Barracks and will now begin churning out archers. Sorry, Ragnar. The Iberian unfortifies and resumes exploring. 92 gold in the coffers, an embassy with the newly found French is the cheapest at 51, so we build one.

1950bc: The HMS Alfred takes Graham ever closer to the Gibraltar Strait.

Meanwhile, Lord MacCauley is at it again...

1910bc: A settler is in the desired position, and we found Rhodesia, which begins work on another barracks, to join The Transvaal in operation Archer rush. Our Mongolian slave is very slowly but very surely extending our road network towards Rhodesia and its two outlying ivory. Our other workers, working as a team, have almost finished connecting the Orange Free State to the rest of the empire at last (they do have to go through mountains, which is always slow going). HMS Alfred -- with Graham on board -- nears Morocco, and sees a barbarian camp and a hill with wine on it. With the founding of Rhodesia we are, for the first time in our history, actually making money per turn, a whopping +1 gold.

1870bc: Getting closer to Morocco, Graham and Alfred ALSO find a dark brown cultural border; somebody is in the Tunisia/Carthage starting point. Alfred will find out who this turn, but first they're going to drop off Graham to deal with those barbarians.

Turns out it is the Sumerians. Gilgamesh has a paltry 3 gold, so once again there is no trade worth making. Lest we forget, once again, a reminder that this is Chieftan.

1830bc: Graham disperses the camp, while HMS Alfred sails into the Mediterranean Sea and sees a pink border on the Iberian Peninsula. Next turn we'll make a new friend. 68 gold is exactly enough money to found an embassy with our newest contact, but I don't want ot clean myself out. Carthage would only cost 59, so we'll build that one. I wonder how they managed to beat me to Philosophy; they are a non-agricultural civ stuck on the almost all-desert Arabian Peninsula, thus most tiles in their radius are useless mined and roaded desert tiles with no laborers to work them

1790bc: Mao Tse Tung and the Chinese smile at me from Spain. I see another pink border further east in the Mediterranean, which means he has more than one city, and perhaps the AI can colonize by sea with curraghs after all. Well, let's talk to Mao and see how little he has...

oh my! He has Iron Working! That's worth trading for. Iron Working plus all 16 of his gold for Alphabet and Mysticism. He says "this seems fair to me." I agree. I check the map. All those mountains on Madagascar, and not a one of them has iron. We do have an Iron Hill inside Cape Town's border, but it isn't connected yet. HMS Sir Alfred, while exploring the southern coast of Australia, finds a border in black.

It is the Zulu city of Ulundi, garrisoned by a Warrior. Let's talk to Shaka. Shaka has Horseback Riding and 85 gold! I offer him Alphabet, Masonry, and Iron Working for all he has, but he's not biting. Alphabet by itself is enough to get the 85 gold, and now I can trade him Writing straight up for Horseback Riding. The money affords us an embassy in Istanbul. Two cows, two wheats, two gems, a dye. That's a pretty good inland starting spot, wouldn't mind it myself one day.

Now, let's look at a map of British South Africa as it is in 1790 bc:

1750bc: The Transvaal builds an archer by name of Wat Tyler, and he is given orders to make a beeline for Trondheim. Given that Iron is so close by, The Transvaal will abandon the archer rush and instead start amassing warriors that will later be mass upgraded to Swordsmen. Nigel finds a hut, and this time the Khazak tribe teaches us the secret of Literature.

Graham marches through the mountains south of Sumer, while the HMS Alfred finds the Arabian city of Mecca in the middle of the Italic Peninsula. Alfred tries to sail around Sicily and in the process finds the Sumerian capital of Ur. The Arabian pink is very close in hue to the Chinese pink, so much so that I thought I was sailing towards a second Chinese city initially. Turns out I was wrong, just like I was wrong to trade writing to Hannibal so early on. :(

IBT: Clive survives a barbarian attack, but gets nothing for the trouble but a yellow health bar and a story to tell his family back home. Which reminds me that it's taken him hundreds of years to make this trip and would take hundreds of years to get back to that family. Take that, Odysseus! (Speaking of which, I wonder where the greeks are?)

1725bc: The Orange Free State churns out another worker and switches production to a Library to push its cultural border out. Cape Town puts out another settler and continues to do more of the same.Three workers go to connect up that iron hill, a fourth worker heads north with them but will keep going north to help the Mongolian slave connect Rhodesia to the network. The new worker out of OFS will head to a second iron source just outside of The Transvaal and sacrifice himself to make a colony. Redundant since I'll have that other iron hooked up too, but I don't like micromanaging, and the more workers I have in play the more tempted I'll be to start naming some of them, too. Oy. Clive fortifies for a turn to heal up before resuming exploration.

1675bc: The worker who gives himself up to make a colony actually beats the team of three, we have iron now! The Transvaal made one veteran warrior and was able to start on another before. So much for the mass upgrade. Oh well, I can't really afford to upgrade even 2 warriors yet anyway. Meanwhile, the HMS Alfred spies a settler moving through greece. The settler is wearing classic Roman Red, and in fact it is Caeser I contact next. He has a mere 9 gold. No sign of a town on the greek peninsula yet, so that starting point is probably vacant. Perhaps the Romans are operating out of The Bosphorus? Looks likely.

1650bc: The worker helps out the slave by giving himself to colonize a plains ivory tile; once the slave finishes the tile he's currently roading, Rhodesia will be connected. The other Iron source is now also connected. A Settler builds East Rhodesia on rivered coastal tile. East Rhodesia is now our worker pump. Clive attacks a barbarian camp on a hill and, amazingly, gets redlined right away, but fights a stirring comeback to clear the camp out.

Yes, The Romans have built their capital, Rome, at Constantinople.

I think that's irony. Or maybe not. Anyway, 75 gold is just enough for one more embassy, but I'd rather spend it on upgrading our Warrior to our First Swordsman.

We'll stop for now.

I suppose it's about to time to start thinking about and start committing to which way I want to try and win this game.

10. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

Now that I've caught up in storytelling to where I've played to, we'll take a brief time out to actually try and decide which victory condition I want to use up on Chieftain level....

ROUND 1, PART 2 AND A HALF

In the year 1650 BC Elizabeth, Her Royal Highness The Queen of English Africa, stared down contemplatively at a cup that sat before her. It contained a delicious beverage her people had come to call "tea". Long ago, according to myth, there had been a small forest nestled in the valley west of Cape Town, the oldest and most imposing village in England, but the English people had chopped down every last tree of it, as well as every other plant within. In the process, one englishman stopped to quench his thirst from a supply of water he kept in a pouch made of animal skin, however, at the moment he opened his pouch, the leaves of a nearby plant fell in. He sunk down, dismayed, as he was quite thirsty and it was quite hot, so hot in fact that his animal-skin pouch had gotten hot, and with it the water inside. After a lengthy dilemma, thirst won out and he drank his hot, leaf-infested water anyway. To his great surprise and delight, he found it tasted even BETTER, provided he did not actually ingest the leaves themselves. He shared his discovery with his fellows, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Tea, from that day forth, held a special position in English culture. Some even thought it was magical, or had prophetic properties. Shamans and would-be wisefolk dedicated themselves to a study of how to "read" tea leaves to divine the future.

Being somewhat versed in this tradition, Her Majesty looked down at her cup of "tea", or to be more specific, the flavorful leaves resting at the bottom of it. Curiously, she found one leaf chunk to be larger than the others, while other, smaller bits surrounded it in a curiously familiar pattern, she couldn't quite place. Suddenly, she felt compelled to look at a nearby map of the known world.

It struck her that the large leaf's shape somewhat resembled Africa, and the smaller leaves were in similar relative position to the large leaf as other known lands and islands were to Africa! She let out a whoop of excitement, convinced that this was a sign, a sign of great destiny. Africa -- English Africa, loomed large over the rest of the world, so too should its people loom large over the peoples of the rest of the world. She concluded, quickly and absolutely, that this was a sign of her destiny. It was to be her that would lead her people to superiority over all others. Since she was queen, with despotic power over life and death for all persons English, nobody dared argue with her attempt to dissuade her.

Ah, but how best to chase this vision? She needed to consult with the greatest wisdom. There was more than one way to conquer a land, as any Englishman knew from his own history. Barbarians had been subdued, sometimes by the axe, sometimes by the word, sometimes even the mere sight of the Royal Palace, Elizabeth's rightful home, awed neighboring tribes into submission. Many paths lay open to her, but to know which was best, she knew she needed to tap the wisdom of the ages that belonged to her people. She needed to consult the greatest minds, the wisest of men.

And so, she sent runners to The Transvaal, The Orange Free State, to Johannesburg, and into the streets of Cape Town, to summon the Four Wisest Brittons, men so vested with wisdom and conviction that would even dare argue with a queen, to discuss and lay out strategy for English Africa's Glorious Tomorrow...

...It would not be long before the finest braintrust of the Ancient World was assembled...

Elizabeth asked them "how best for a Queen to Dominate the World?"

They deliberated, communed with the great spirits, and entered deep trances in the traditional, ritualistic ways (which looked, to the curious and uneducated eye, like a comical cycle of crude jokes and slapstick violence).

"It's simple," the alpha of the group replied at last. "The best way to dominate the world, is to dominate it."

Elizabeth nodded, and began plotting victory by Domination.

11. Theryman

Theryman King

Oh man... I would have gone for the two cultural victories on Chieftan and Warlord- they can be hard to achieve, very hard, on the higher levels. I recommend getting those at least by the time you finish monarch.

12. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

The Cultural Victories are probably next up for me after this, admittedly. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'll go for 100K on Warlord, now, no matter what. 20K I'm pretty comfortable with, actually, as that tends to be my default pursuit in any regular game of civ. I feel pretty good about saving 20k for Regent or Monarch. But, either type I think requires more of a commitment from the beginning (I've not built a single cultural building yet; even on these low levels, I'd want more culture by now). Also, on Chieftain I'm going to be basically researching by myself, which is going to slow down my acquisition of the technologies that grant the 5 cultural buildings, particularly the later ones, university and cathedral. I want those early.

Then again, I haven't picked the game back up yet, so it's not too late for someone to change my mind :)

13. Quintillus

So you've got these victories to pursue:

1. Conquest - Can be done on any level
    2. Domination - Probably can do on any level, might be hard to get the land on higher levels.
    3. Time - Can do on any level
    4. Culture 20k - Easier on lower levels?
    5. Culture 100k - Easier on lower levels?
    6. Space - Easier on lower levels, might be do-able on higher ones, too.
    7. Diplomatic - Should be able to do on any level, tought part is always not annoying too many people.
    8. Wonder - Should be able to do on any level unless the AI overwhelmes your tech rate and completes all the Wonders early.

Spacerace you'll probably want to do before Emperor, and same with the cultural ones - you'll still have the capacity to built lots of culture at lower levels. Diplomatic will be tricky - you'll have to make consistant friends to win that on the higher levels while still conquering. Wonder and Time shouldn't be too hard except for making sure you don't get two Wonder or two Time victories. Domination and Conquest are more or less the defaults on higher levels, but are still easily achievable on lower levels. I'd be inclined to go Space-Culture-Culure-Diplo in some order on the lower levels, but if you think you can get one of those later on then Domination to start with is a fine choice.

Good update. Expansion is really going England's way, even if the tech race isn't as much as hoped. Good storytelling, and great palace! Great naval exploration as well, you've already got half of the Old World explored! But you haven't encountered any other ships?

The map is slightly different from the one I'm playing. Examples of differences include the terrain of Constantinople (not Istanbul), Ceylon being connected/seperate, and the Canary Islands, not present on my map. The general terrain, of course, is very similar.

14. Jokeslayer

Jokeslayer Dedicated

This is a great idea, son_of_dido. Hope it goes well.

My thoughts on what victories to do when:

The builder victories will be hardest on the top levels. I'd probably try to get the culture in on Emperor or lower (20K might be doable on DG, but I can't see you doing it on Deity or Sid if you normally play Monarch/Emp). I think you should decide what you want to do on Sid, Deity and DG first, and work from there. Up to Monarch you should be able to do any of them (probably even Emperor, too)

I think getting wonder without losing to any of the others will be a bit of a challenge. I've seen the game end without all the techs being researched on chieftain and warlord, and on higher levels you might struggle to get all the wonders built before someone builds a spaceship (although if you're doing well in tech and research the Modern Age properly, that should be fine)

Histograph might be a challenge, too, as you'd need to block the last two wonders, as well (who ever builds Cure for Cancer and Longevity anyway?)

15. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

Yeah, listening to you guys, and taking time to really think about which order the victory conditions should come in. Domination is really something I need to save for later...

Here's a dramatization of the change of mind.

Okay, got 23 pictures for the next part, so I'll have to break it up into a couple posts, so look for that in the next day or so, time pending.

16. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

PART III

1625bc: Meet the Spanish somewhere in the eastern mediterranean, town of Barcelona roughly in Palestine. Send the first of what will be many Swordsmen towards the Vikings. I'm thinking about taking the advice of the forum-goers and switching to a 100k empire-wide culture win attempt here, even though I've done nothing to prepare towards that end thus far. I'll need another settler pump so that Cape Town can take some time out to build some culture. Yet I also want to keep putting some units out. Probably going to go minimum research as soon as I hit Republic so as to start hording gold for cash rushing en masse of libraries and temples.

1600bc: I get a popup informing me the Zulu have started on the Colossus.

1575bc:

Hey, Jute, don't make it bad
    Take a sad song and make it better
    Remember to let her into your heart
    Then you can start to make it better

The Jute tribe teaches us Mathematics, via our maybe-not-useless-after-all iberian conscript warrior. I really need a second settler pump, but only Cape Town really has the food to make settlers quickly right now.

1525bc: sending another settler west, towards that incense. mining the iron hill around Cape Town.

1500bc: Nigel has caught up with the HMS Alfred and boards it, ready to pop a hut on Crete next turn.

1475bc: Finally some culture! Johannesburg finishes a temple, starts on a settler. Cape Town is going to switch to the colossus for now and try to beat the Zulu to it. Even though I should probably really still focus first on expansion. Then again I'm playing for culture now. Nigel gets 50 gold from the Huns of Crete.

1450bc: HMS is now island-hopping in the south pacific and, hopefully, can find a safe path to South America.

1425bc: Settler founds Angolia (like Anglia, only in Angola. Get it? Eh, whatever, never mind. Bah). Meanwhile, the HMS Alfred drops Nigel off in Eastern Europe, just north of Rome. Caeser will be a tad miffed on the next IBT, but what is he gonna do about it? :) Angolia is also a worker pump; I need to improve some more tiles if I'm going to get libraries and temples up quickly.

1400bc: Transvaal builds a swordsman, switching to settler. East Rhodesia builds a worker, and has switched to a shield-producing tile of its own accord. I don't like cities that want to make enough shields for a worker in 4 turns but won't grow enough to send one out for 10 turns. Wrong tile, peasants. Turn slider down to 2/8/0, upgrade a warrior to Swordsman and start sending him along with the freshly built swordsman towards the Vikings. My army grows... slowly.

1375bc: Nigel is clear of the Roman border and making his way up.

1350bc: The slave worker starts mining this east rhodesian cow.

I know this makes no sense given the despotism penalty, but i'm so near to researching republic that I'm thinking by I can researching and finish my revolution before this slow, ineffecient slave is finished, and then I won't have to worry about using my still undersized worker force on improving that tile twice. Also, it looks like there is a golden border just north of the Arabs...

1325bc: Cape Town's gold his is now also mined, and the irrigated cow will let a pop 3 town work the iron hill and the gold hill at the same time. 24 turns away from colossus... oh, wait. Just remembered that's an instant Golden Age for England. Do I want it this early? Anyway, classic Dutch Gold in Switzerland.

Guess the Swiss Mercenaries won't have far to commute. Oh wait never mind, that's actually just very northern Italy. Way to ruin my joke, game. Nigel sees a shade of blue traditionally reserved for Germany a tile north of him. Next turn, next turn...

1300bc:

Yes, Nigel's found the Germans.

1275bc: Rhodesia builds a swordsman, and, being a slow grower, starts on another one. Republic is due next turn and I adjust the slider to 5/5/0 accordingly.

Foolish mistake by me, as I end HMS Sir Walter's turn in a sea tile near Guam. He seems to have struck a dead end, but, my sloppiness may cost him a chance to reverse field and find China/Japan as a consolation prize. Actually that would've been wisest after all, as it could've crossed to the new world via the Bering strait, couldn't it? Oh well, England is seafaring, maybe the crew of the Sir Walter will get lucky. Johannesburg is due to make a settler next turn, and I want that to finish, so, I'm not going to revolt on the IBT via the popup.

1250bc: There, now I can revolt after I've done assigning tasks this turn. Republic researched, Construction up next, for those coloseums. (In 100K, you build 'em). THE HMS SIR WALTER LIVES! Let's head for Japan. Slider back to 2/8/0, but we're about to have a revolution anyway.

6 turns of anarchy. Poo.

1225bc: Almost finished mapping the Sahara, and all Africa with it. Egypt is nice and unoccupied, but the Sumerians are much closer to it, and agricultural. Oh well, I have swordsmen. I'll fix that problem eventually.

1175bc: One of the incense tiles is hooked up through Angolia to the rest of the empire. Now they start a road to where that last settler is going. Nigel nears a brown border north of the Crimea... the Russians might be in their historically accurate starting point.

1150bc: Most swordsmen are now in position outside Trondheim. Found a new city in the desert between Rhodesia and Angolia. What type of land shall this place be? No, not a kingdom, a BOERdom. Cos' of the Boers, and, boredom, it's a pun, and, bah. HMS Alfred uncovers not only more Dutch in France...but the Americans in the British Isles. Here, you can see New York in Wessex. Oh, irony.

Turns out the Americans have Polytheism, but not Alphabet. Alphabet + Horseback Riding isn't enough to get Polytheism from them, but writing probably will be. So, Alphabet for 10 gold, then Writing for Polytheism. No biggie since I've already blown the slingshot.

Meanwhile, yes, Nigel found the Russians. They have no new tech, but 152 gold; somebody's scout has been busy popping gold huts! Truth be told, I could probably use the money. I offer writing... 70 gold? You bloody cheat. I ask for all 152 and Cat has no part of it. Well NEVER MIND with you.

1125bc: Every last African tile is uncovered. So lets take a look!

And, the last swordsman has merged with the mini-stack near Trondheim. Four Swords and an Archer... I think I should get a couple more before actually attacking.

110bc: Republic at last! Yet our leader is still called "Queen". Anyway. Setting slider to 9/1/0, Construction in 50, 62 gold in treasury plus 53 per turn at present rate. Turns out Cape town can switch from Colossus to temple, due in 1 turn, with NO shield waste. lets try that. With Africa mapped, Graham, Clive, and The Iberian turn south to (slowly) converge on the other Viking City, Bergen. As mere warriors, they're unlikely to succeed in any actual attack, but maybe their actual presence will have an effect. I guess they could pillage or something.

1075bc: Temple in Cape Town. Alfred has gone through the English channel and spotted that shade of pink that the French or Arabs generally use in Scandinavia. But they're already accounted for. Maybe it's the Inca... 115 gold is enough enough to rush the library in the Orange Free State, but it is enough for a temple there if it switches over. Very well.

1050bc: started getting units built again. Settler from Transvaal, which starts on swordsmen again. The slave finishes mining that cow, and East Rhodesia is now productive enough to switch over to culture. A library in this case. Got workers coming out elsewhere. Yeah, that was the Inca. The Alleged Earth Shaker has nothing to trade for. With 100k now the goal, two things: 1) I should probably start closer spacing of my African cities, and 2) Madagascar is worth while now after all. I could fit a few small towns there. Feudalism is generally the ideal 100k gov for regressive unit support and pop whipping, and basically being a government in which you want lots of small towns, just like in 100k. But England's not religious and I already revolted once. Also, I much prefer to cash rush than pop rush, although on this level the pop rush unhappiness wouldn't be as much of a problem. We'll see when I get there. More boats would be a good idea soon, as Alfred and Walter are so far away there's no point in calling them back to port.

975bc: West Rhodesia is founded and joins the worker making party. Here's a shock; looks like somebody's stuck on the Belfast start, in crowded quarters with the Americans. Poor Portugal. Anyway, HMS Alfred was actually looking for a means to Iceland and maybe the east coast of the New World, but no such luck thus far. 194 gold is more than enough to rush a library in Cape Town.

950bc: Back to settlers for Cape Town. One more, then Wonder building I think. Rhodesia finishes a swordsman and starts another.

925bc: HMS Sir Walter spies a purple border normally used by the Iroquois in East Asia. Indeed it is they, at the more southern of the two China starting points. Just 5 gold to his name. We'll move on.

IBT: The Zulus DEMAND Philosophy?!?!?!

Yeah, whatever dude, what are you gonna do from south eastern Australia, huh? I diplomatically tell him to bugger off. He Declares! My first war, and it's a phony one. No way they'll reach me, and I've got no means of reaching them right now. So basically Shaka just decided to give me "war happiness" for a few turns. I'll take it.

900bc: Dark blue in Japan. Go investigate, Sir Walter... hmm. the border is two tiles away, and HMS Sir Walter only has one movement point left, which would end him in a sea tile again. As he is 50% of my naval expedition force, I decide not to expose him to even this small risk. We'll find out that this is probably Babylon next turn.

875bc: Babylon, sure enough. Hammurabi has nothing of note, but this does mean I now have contact with three scientific civs. The only time a civ on this level is likely to be of much use as a research aid is these guys as they go to a new era. I'll try to exploit them later. Anyway, Nigel isn't being mentioned much because he keeps moving north and finding nothing of note. Cape Town builds one last settler and starts on wonders. The Colossus at the moment, but I may switch out to avoid the Golden Age, or if the Zulu actually beat me to it. Just enough cash to rush a library in Johannesburg.

850bc: The Inca join the rush for the Colossus. Transvaal pops another swordsman. Time to rock and roll, bye bye Ragnar (almost). Johannesburg now has both a library and a temple, so it's going to produce a settler until I've mastered the technology for another cultural building. Another, somewhat lighter shade of blue, spotted in the Korean Peninsula. Korea is, coincidentally, in their accurate starting point. 10 gold and a worker, I wouldn't mind another slave, and they are hopelessly behind in technology, so I cut them a deal, pottery + CB for 10 gold and a worker. I'm going to be gifting technology to them eventually anyway, as they are scientific. He's still "Annoyed" with me? After that great deal? Ingrate.

IBT: Carthage requests an audience. Oh snap! He has Map Making and wants Literature. HOW IS HE RESEARCHING WITH ALL THOSE USELESS DESERT TILES? Seems he will accept Code of Laws instead of Literature. Good to know, but I'll decline now and make this trade on my turn.

Which we'll talk about next time...

17. Quintillus

Dang! Carthage is owning everyone scientifically! On chieftan! Looks like his scouts have been popping an awful lot of Science Huts!

Not bad puns with the Boerdom and Angolia. I've seen much worse.

And that would be really embarrassing to choose Despotism again. That's a bad enough true mistake to warrant a re-load, especially if you get 7 or 8 turns on Anarchy. You can choose the "X" button on the "Choose A Government" screen to get one more turn of Anarchy before being prompted to choose again. This is useful if you have way too much maintenance and troop support and don't want to pay for it. I did it intentionally once (though it was more so I could win as an Anarchy than anything else).

I don't think you'll need Feudalism and close city placement on Chieftan. It'd be a bit of a safety net, I suppose, but if you get enough territory (while still building libraries and temples everywhere, of course), you should be fine without it. I think I've got about 45k in my game in 1939 without even trying to build much culture.

18. DAv2003

DAv2003 Prince

Interesting start here. I never managed a Cultural Vicyory meself and it should be interesting to see how you do.

19. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff Kender

I've never tried for a 100k culture victory, but wouldn't it be useful to get a Temple of Artemis rather than building all those temples yourself? Especially if you go into close city placement.

20. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

Well the problem with ToA is that it expires with Education, and thus all the temples it provided are now GONE. And, if going for a culture victory, would have to be replaced. Except they wouldn't be those same old ToA temples anymore.

"But just stay away from education then?"

Ah, except, Education provides the fifth and final culture generating improvement, and, imho, the best of that bunch, the University. If ToA expired later or Universities came earlier, I'd definitely want ToA as soon as I could get it. But that's not the way it so...

Also, I know that the AI will eventually start going for the ToA itself, and if I leave it for the AIs to chase, it means they will stay away from the Pyramids and the Great Library [useless for its primary purpose, but it *IS* 6 culture per turn] until I'm ready to snag them myself.

Basically I'm staying away from ToA because I don't want to have to build all those temples all over again, with the added penalty of them now being newer/younger and less valuable. Besides, I'm already cash rushing them in cities anyway, so those 500 shields spent on the ToA are somewhat redundant/wasted.

Also, I'm not too keen on micromanaging/keeping track of which cities REALLY have temples and which ones just have ToA temples and not check up until 500 years later and realize "OH NO I SHOULD HAVE REBUILT THAT TEMPLE THERE GHARGHH".