A Mountain of Skulls : a Timurids EU-3 AAR

This looks interesting, I'll be following.

With the death of our Great Khan, revolts start breaking out like wild-fire, all over our country. The Timurid Pretender army in Gharchistan, Iraqi Nationalists in Kerbala, Persian Seperatists in Dash-I-Lut, Hormuz, Ajam and Luristan, Azerbaijani Patriots in Azerbaijan, Shiite Religious Zealots in Iraq-I-Arab...

Spoiler :

... all we need now are some angry Peasants, and we'll have the complete set!

We'd better hurry up with the Mamluke campaign, so that our armies can return home to suppress these revolts while we still have a country. Luckily, the Mamluke army has returned from its mysterious absence, and is back within striking range of our Cavalry.

The battered Regiments returning from the Ottoman campaign are thrown straight into the battle against the Mamlukes at Van, and are joined by our reserve Cavalry army under Miran Shah.

Spoiler :

Our Cavalry tramples the Mamluke army, inflicting 12,000 casualties at the cost of only 4,000 Timurid troops, and an immediate pursuit is ordered.

Spoiler :

The fleeing Mamluke forces are overtaken at Dayr Az Zor, and another 7,500 Mamlukes are killed. They retreat again, and we continue the pursuit into Damascus.

Spoiler :

While their routed main army retreats towards the Nile Delta, fresh Mamluke forces appear and try to slip past our Cavalry army to relieve the siege at Dayr Az Zor. Miran Shah splits his Cavalry force, sending the bulk of it to continue the pursuit while a smaller detachment attacks the new enemy army. This leads to a series of further battles, at Hawran, Aleppo, Hammah and Beirut. The Mamlukes are defeated in every engagement, but stubbornly refuse to concede defeat.

While this campaign against the Mamlukes continues, local forces are trying to dislodge some of the Rebels that are besieging our forts. The Timurid Usurper is beaten at Gharchistan and withdraws to Herat, then defeated again and chased to Sistan, then to Kerman... a running series of battles, from the Indian border right across the breadth of our country to the Jalayarid border. With all of our Cavalry tied up in the Mamluke campaign, our Infantry can defeat these Rebels but are having a terrible time actually killing them. Forced to share his province with 16,000 unwashed barbarians, the Timurid Pretender eventually dies from attrition. :lol:

More Iraqi Seperatists pop up in conquered Jalayarid territory, and immediately start fighting their hosts. It seems almost a shame to break this up, but I don't want either of them to retake that province.

Spoiler :

More cities are sacked, and the new Great Khan Khalil consolidates his support by distributing the booty to his troops.

Spoiler :

By now, there are nearly as many Rebel troops running amok inside our borders as loyal Timurid troops, so Miran Shah reluctantly leads the bulk of the Cavalry back from the Mamluke lands to make a sweep through our western provinces, dislodging some Rebels before our forts surrender. Hopefully, the Mamlukes are so beat up that they won't be able to counterattack while he is away fighting Rebels.

Before the Mamlukes can organize a counterattack, Dayr Az Zor finally falls, and the Mamlukes concede defeat. Thank Allah THAT'S over. Now we can send most of our forces against our last remaining large opponent, Delhi.

Not before time... Delhi has finally ended their wars against the neighbouring Indian states and has invaded our province of Bakkar.

Spoiler :

Before we can gather sufficient forces to dislodge them, Bakkar falls to the invaders, and the sneaky Delhian forces hide in a neighbouring neutral country to escape our wrath.

Spoiler :

What is this "neutral country" nonsense, you ask? In Divine Wind 5.1, Barbarian Hordes are automatically at war with all neighbouring civilized countries... except, apparently, THIS one. :mad: I'll deal with them later.

While on the way back from Mamlukistan to the Indian border, our main armies kick the teeming hordes of Rebels around, but most don't stop to play with them. At our primitive tech level, it takes a distressingly long time to kill a Rebel stack... usually five or six successive battles... and we want to start the Delhi campaign as soon as possible, in the hope of finishing it before the Ottoman truce wears off.

Our armies start arriving, and the invasion of Delhi commences.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile...

Spoiler :

Rat-boogers! It takes us literally YEARS to regain each level of stability, so this is NOT a good event for us. Neither can we afford to lose all of the government research that we've made since the start of the game, since we need GOV-4 to form the Mughals. I accept the Stab-hit as the lesser of two evils, and hope for a better random event next time.

Driven out of Iraq-I-Arab by our armies that are redeploying towards Delhi, the Shiite Religious Schismatics invade the Jalayarids instead. Fine with me.

Spoiler :

Mosul falls...

Spoiler :

... and that's our last core province liberated from the Jalayarids, so we now allow them to concede defeat. Their exit from the war is balanced by the discovery of (and war with) Byzantium, Karaman and Najd.

On the diplomatic front, our decision to squash the Ottomans flat before accepting a concession has indeed borne fruit... the Spanish and Portugese have declared war on them. This should ensure that they are still weak when our truce wears off in a few more years.

We are now nearly five years into the game, and still at war. Of our original eleven enemies, only Delhi and Georgia are still fighting... the rest have either acknowledged our Khan as their overlord and accepted vassalization, or conceded defeat and signed temporary, five-year truces.

There is still no shortage of opponents, however. Byzantium, Najd, Karaman and Rajputana are all at war with us... as is Oman, which we would happily invade if we could only figure out where it is. Presumably it's somewhere in the Terra Incognita beyond our southern border, on the opposite shore of the Persian Gulf.

The tribal succession crisis has finally sputtered out, leaving Khan Khalil in charge of our Horde. Revolt risk has dropped back to its normal value, and we have a few mixed Cavalry/Infantry forces our hunting down the last of the Rebels.

Our campaign against Delhi proceeds apace, with several cities falling one after another, like dominoes.

Spoiler :

Unfortunately, the mountainous terrain combined with the frequent revolts and the hostile (Rajputana) border to the south has been slowing down the Indian campaign, and it looks unlikely that it will be concluded before the Ottoman truce wears off.

Following with interest; never played a horde. In fact, all my games (i haven't played that many) have been inside Europe.

...wrong Horde?

More Indian cities fall, including the capital of Delhi. Meanwhile, one of our field armies ejects the tattered Delhian army from our land.

Spoiler :

We pillage one of the Najdian cities, and this single set-back is enough to convince the cowards to concede defeat.

Spoiler :

Our gradual success in the Delhi campaign frees enough forces for us to begin chastizing the impudent Rajputanainians.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile, at the other end of our war-torn country, the perfidious Byzantines counterattack our forces in Mus, but are defeated by a combination of inhospitable terrain and fast-moving reinforcements.

Spoiler :

Mus falls to our Horde, and with the other Byzantine provinces out of our reach, we allow them to concede defeat.

Spoiler :

The Rajputanian cities start falling one after another, and we force them to give tribute to the Great Khan in return for peace... a whole 0.5 Ducats per month...

Spoiler :

With most of Delhi occupied, the earliest conquests have been so thoroughly pillaged that they begin reverting to barbarism and joining our Horde.

Spoiler :

Join the Horde! See the world! Visit far-away places, meet strange new people, and KILL them!

At last we get a decent random event...

Spoiler :

... this one gives us +1 Free Subjects, finally un-pinning our Serfdom slider.

A few more Delhian cities fall to our Horde, but Delhi refuses to become our vassal.

Spoiler :

Fine. We'll just stay at war with them and continue pillaging their cities until they change their minds.

Our wise men have finally figured out where Oman is, and a quick pillaging expedition forces them to concede defeat.

Spoiler :

This frees up our western armies just in time, since the truce with the Ottomans is due to expire very soon. We don't expect a very difficult campaign against them this time, however... they have been fighting those Christian Infidels almost constantly since our own war with them ended, and their war exhaustion is over a dozen points.

Spoiler :

Georgia still refuses to make peace with us, despite being reduced to one province and occupied by the Golden Horde. We really wish that they had put up a better fight, since sharing a border with the Golden Horde was not on our things-to-do list.

Spoiler :

Our next random event causes some head-scratching in Samarkand... what are these "Artillery" it mentions? Is this good... or bad?

Spoiler :

... and at last, we reach +3 Stability! That only took six years or so.

Spoiler :

Now we can focus our efforts on learning our first tech, GOV-4. That will only take... errr... sixteen more years. If we're lucky, and don't catch any destabilizing events.

Keep it coming :)

Our truce with the Ottomans expires, and we again lay siege to Sivas. The Ottoman army arrives, and is smashed by our Cavalry army.

Spoiler :

We pursue it all the way to the Hellespont, and destroy it in a series of brutal battles.

Spoiler :

Sivas falls, and with their war exhaustion over 15 points, the Ottomans concede defeat. They had little enthusiasm for this war anyway, since they still hadn't recovered from the prolonged fighting against the Christian Infidels.

The Golden Horde destroys Georgia, and we now share a two-province-wide border with them. Great. :mad: There goes the neighbourhood. They have consistently refused our Royal Marriage offers, and show no interest in normalizing diplomatic relations. I think the Golden Horde is going to be a problem.

In happier news... an Heir is borne!

Spoiler :

With his killer 5/4/4 stats, he will henceforth be known as "Hussein the Bone-Head". It looks like our government modernization must be postponed another generation or two.

During the nativity celebrations for our new Heir, the awful truth emerges that our ruler's great-grandmother was the daughter of a farmer.

Spoiler :

Pardon? What's the problem? We're freakin' BARBARIANS! We thought farmers were posh!

A few more Indian provinces revert to barbarism, and Delhi finally agrees to become our vassal.

Spoiler :

Cool! Now we just need to research one level of government tech, and (eventually) get a ruler with enough military acumen to form the Mughals... and then we can give this "Steppe Horde" business the laugh. It's getting old.

Of course... forming the Mughals will only be the beginning of our problems. Every nearby Steppe Horde will instantly attack us (and yes, Golden Horde, I'm looking at YOU), all of the civilized countries that we've been repeatedly pillaging will still hate us, and we will be starting as the most primitive and least advanced country in our tech group. Oh... and we will immediately lose the Steppe Horde bonus: doubled force limits, doubled Manpower, war exhaustion discount, and unit cost discount.

Fun times ahead.

The truce with the Mamlukes expires, and we again invade the border town of Dayr Az Zor. One Mamluke army hides beyond our reach in a neutral country, but a second one arrives and gets trampled by our Cavalry army before they can link up.

Spoiler :

Our units might be very low-tech, but early in the game an army of nearly pure Cavalry is hard to deal with, if your Tactics allows such a build (and ours does :D ).

Dayr Az Zor falls, but the stubborn Mamlukes refuse to say "Uncle". We besiege and capture a second city, and NOW they are prepared to admit defeat... but before accepting their submission, we delay negotiations long enough to smash one more of their armies, just to teach them some respect for the Great Khan.

Spoiler :

Just as the war with the Mamlukes is winding down, new wars break out at both ends of the Timurid domains. Sindi Patriot Indian rebels eject our small "peace-keeping force" from Bakkar...

Spoiler :

... and we decide to just let them keep the province. It's quite worthless to us: a Base Tax of one Ducat per year, no core, wrong culture, wrong religion, high revolt risk... all it does is slow down our tech progress and spawn endless rebels. Since Sind is our vassal anyway, the province will probably generate more income (and cause fewer problems) if we just let it revert back to them.

Delhi also seems to be having Rebel troubles... both Gondawana and Punjab revolt and break away from Delhi. Punjab shares a border with us, so they are added to our list of victims.

Spoiler :

The truces with Najd and the Jalayarids both expire, and fresh pillaging missions are organized. Najd seems to have some pillaging plans of their own, however, as raiding parties are landed at several points along our coast:

Spoiler :

Look! They've got... big... floaty things... I wonder how they DO that? (Barbarians cannot build boats).

Another Najd raiding party is wiped out...

Spoiler :

... and another...

Spoiler :

... :mad: and another...

Spoiler :

... hopefully that's the last of them.

Both remaining Jalayarid provinces are conquered... after first clearing out some Rebels for them... and the Jalayarids are placed under tribute. That might keep them out of trouble for a few years.

Oh, for... :mad:

Spoiler :

... those Najdainians just don't give up. We really MUST learn how to build some floaty things of our own some day.

While this merry-go-round of wars continues, our Cultural Tradition has finally risen high enough to generate a decent advisor: a five-star Statesman should shave a couple of years off the time it will take us to reach GOV-4 and qualify for conversion from the Timurids to the Mughals.

Subbed.
Great job so far, even with those Najdainians...

Can we please have some photos of the bigger picture? :)

Can we please have some photos of the bigger picture? :)

Ten years : an over-view

It is now 1409... ten years since the start of the game.

Political map:

Spoiler :

A number of changes have taken place in the political situation over the first ten years.

Some of the major changes in our favor are the vassalization of the three Indian minors Kashmir, Sind and Delhi (thus fulfilling one of the three conditions for switching our nation from Timurids to Mughals); the conquest of several Indian provinces including the rich province of Delhi; the recovery of four of our core provinces from the Jalayarids; and the subjugation of Rajputana, Punjab, and the Jayalarids, all of which have been placed under tribute.

Less favorable... from our point of view... is the success enjoyed by the Golden Horde, which has conquered both Georgia and Trebizond and now shares a border with us. The haughty Hordians have refused our diplomatic approaches, and it has been necessary for us to maintain a strong army in that region, both to deter any attack from the Horde and also to eject any Georgian rebels that spill over into our country.

Terrain map:

Spoiler :

Given the inhospitable mountainous terrain in along the Indian border and the wide-open steppes and desert near the Mamlukes and Ottomans, we have been using predominantly Infantry armies in the east and mostly Cavalry armies in the west.

Religious map:

Spoiler :

The Shiite Heretics in the Iraq region are slowly being converted to the true faith, and plans are being made to eventually convert the Christian Infidels in the province of Armenia and the Hindu Infidels along our eastern border. In particular, we look forward to eventually converting the province of Delhi to the true faith, since it has the highest base tax in the game.

Revolt Risk map:

Spoiler :

At the moment, most of our Rebels are either Nationalists (from the occupied part of India) or Religious Zealots (from the conversion attempts underway in Shiite-dominated Iraq.

Diplomatic map:

Spoiler :

We are currently at war only with a couple of minor states: Najd and Oman. In the ten years since the game began, we have only enjoyed two-and-a-half months of peace. The Ottoman truce will be timing out soon, and the third round of wars will begin.

To possibly sound stupid, how do you know the triggers that will turn you into the Mughals?

Wouldn't it be a decision?

It will tell you when you mouse over the decisions. :)

To possibly sound stupid, how do you know the triggers that will turn you into the Mughals?

It's one of my National Decisions, so I can go to the last page of the Nation side-bar (that little icon in the top left corner of the main screen) and mouse-over the question-mark symbol. The little pop-up tells me that I need to:

A) Either own certain provinces in India (some of which are initially hidden in Terra Incognita) or vassalize Kashmir, Sind and Delhi. I've accomplished that.

B) Have the tech GOV-4. I'm working on that... ETA: three-and-a-half more years. If everything goes well.

C) Have a Ruler with MIL-6 or higher. That's the hardest condition to fulfill, since there isn't much I can do to make it happen. Fortunately, a Regency Council counts as a "Ruler"... so I could always send my bone-head Rulers into battle and hope for a decent Regency Council when they get killed. Naturally, that means undergoing another Succession Crisis...

:cooool: Succession Crises. :p

I HATE those. I must admit though, I didn't know that non-cores had anything to do with it last time I encountered them (in my Mamluk conquering spree).

Can you only become the Mughals, or are there other options (were you to chose them that is)

As the game develops does it offer you new, different options?

Oman rejoins the war:

Spoiler :

The Punjabi capital is sacked, forcing them to pay tribute to the Great Khan:

Spoiler :

Our Sunni Missionaries have succeeded in converting some of the Shiite Heretics to the true faith... praise Allah!

Spoiler :

... that will lower the Revolt Risk and increase revenues in those three provinces.

The Rebel-occupied province of Bakkar finally defects back to Sind... and good riddance!

Spoiler :

With no core, a base tax of one, wrong culture and wrong religion, it was nothing but an unprofitable Rebel-factory anyway. Since Sind is our vassal, we will probably get more revenue out of the province now that it`s back under their control.

The Ottomans are ready for round three... although with an on-going war against the Golden Horde and a war exhaustion of over 14 points, they will have a rough time of it.

Spoiler :

With the Ottoman war starting up again and the Mamluke truce due to expire soon, we should probably stop playing with our food and finish off these Najdis and Omanis quickly, to free up some of our forces.

Spoiler :

Look!... there`s more of those Najdis over here! This must be where those big floaty things come from!

Spoiler :

The Najdis and Omanis bow out of the war by conceding defeat, and Karaman joins the fray again.

Spoiler :

Jeeze... these Steppe Horde games are just an endless cycle of warfare. Good thing we don't lose the peacetime War Exhaustion discount unless we're at war with another Horde.

Meanwhile, the Rebels are getting a bit uppity:

Sixteen thousand Rebels rise up in Delhi...

Spoiler :

... and another eight thousand in Azerbaijan.

Spoiler :

They are actually queuing-up and waiting to fight us! Here's a bunch of Shiite Zealots fighting us in Iraq-i-Arab, while another stack of Rebels takes a number and waits in line for their turn to attack us:

Spoiler :

Sivas falls (again) and the Ottomans drop out of the war... only to be replaced by the Mamlukes:

Spoiler :

Ummm... you guys will have to just hang on for a minute. We're a bit busy with these Rebels.

But we aren't the only ones. The Golden Horde seems to be having a few Rebel issues themselves:

Spoiler :

Oh, wait!... I think I found your problem... it's this +38% Revolt Risk!

Spoiler :

They've got a real Rebel Factory going in Imereti...

Spoiler :

... maybe Georgia will be able to make a come-back, and I won't border the Golden Horde any more?

Meanwhile, more Rebels wait patiently while the Ottomans and the Horde fight it out...

Spoiler :

... and then they defeat the winner, and throw him out of the province!

Spoiler :

The Jalayarids are also having Rebel problems...

Spoiler :

... as are the Mamlukes. Nineteen thousand of them, to be precise.

Spoiler :

Over-run by Rebels and facing a succession crisis, the Mamlukes are happy to concede defeat after the fall of Dayr Az Zor (again).

Top Bottom