1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by ilr_18, Jan 29, 2007.

?

What Continent Should The Civ Be In?

Poll closed Feb 5, 2007.
  1. North America

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. South America

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. Europe

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  4. Africa

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  5. Asia

23 vote(s)
    37.7%
  6. Australia

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. Spearthrower

Spearthrower Thrower of spears

While I should by rights support a Thai civ, I disagree about the relative importance between Thai and Khmer. The latter were far more important and had far further reaching influence on the region than Thailand ever has. Both Khmer and Srivijaya would fulfill a more important role in the game than a Thailand would and were historically earlier and bigger than either Ayuthaya or Sukhothai (early Thai Kingdoms) and would thus present more of a colonial problem for Japan.

2. kairob

kairob Biohazard

My reasoning for brazil would be that they could start as a vessal to spain or independant representing portugals interest in the area and as the AI tries colonising thier target area before invading, if this area was filling up already with another AI it might force spain to actually invade aztecs and inca...
    (and we wouldnt have to include other countries from south america, brazil is the 5th largest country in the world none of the others are)

3. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Even tough I would like to see Argentina (;)), I agree Brazil would be the best choice for a South American Civ.

4. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

Brazil is large and it's spawn area is mostly empty. I think that's most important civ to add.

5. Talkie_Toaster

Talkie_Toaster I toast, therefore I am

Africa is large, and it is EMPTY. African civs ftw

6. a1Basco

a1Basco Warlord

African Civs?

Africa is mostly just a bunch of spear chucking natives. Ethiopia, Aksum, Mali, Egypt..... Those are really the only noteworthy civilizations. Hell, Aksum is in the same place as Ethiopa.

I don't see what you could add to Africa.. I think it's fine the way it is.

7. Spearthrower

Spearthrower Thrower of spears

eeep..... it's amazing that people still think this way!

Africa has countless high watermarks of civilisation while (assuming you are from Europe) your country was still huddling in caves trying not to die.

There were rich and lush kingdoms of vast proportions. In the times of the Sumerians there was a hereto undiscovered african nation that supplied them with metals.

Just because they didn't develop rifles doesnt diminish their importance in human history - we all came out of Africa in the first place!

8. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

What Spearthrower said. :)

9. Phallus

Phallus Freudian Slip

The exact same points have been discussed time and time again for months. That said, there's plenty of room for a South-east Asian minor civ, and Ethiopia could be far better represented than it is now (ie: one 'native' city that is poorly defended in the rare occasion that it actually spawns).

10. garrinchaya

garrinchaya Chieftain

Yes, a Kingdom of Aksum is a good way to =

*prevent Egypt from expanding to the South, what is historically inaccurate.

*Populate Africa

*Introduce one of the oldest nation in the World (Ethiopia)

11. kairob

kairob Biohazard

I agree with garrinchaya,

and @Elhoim I hope you are not offended...

12. a1Basco

a1Basco Warlord

Please name some then. I mean, If I am wrong, I'm all for African Civs. I'm sure it would be fun to play in.

If we don't know anything about them, then they can't help in the game at all...

I can't deny that Africa was important in human history, however, there really weren't any big Sub-Saharan civilizations that are noteworthy. I've never heard of any Sub-Saharan African empires. Considering how technologically backward the area was compared to the rest of the world, I don't think putting any civilizations in would be useful or realistic. The natives suit the area fine.

I mean, isn't that part of the reason why the Zulus weren't included(other reason being that they come in so late)?

Really has nothing to do with rifles. The Egyptians and Persians certainly didn't have rifles.

13. a1Basco

a1Basco Warlord

14. Mercenary82

Mercenary82 King

Unfortunatley the African nations that are worth putting in like Kush or Aksum already have their territory completley covered by Egypt.

15. Phallus

Phallus Freudian Slip

This is why the city of Aksum hardly ever spawns even as a 'native' city, but it makes very little sense. Egypt shouldn't be all over Ethiopia in the first place.

16. kairob

kairob Biohazard

I agree with Phallus

17. a1Basco

a1Basco Warlord

Which was exactly what I don't think there are really any African civs to add.

Europe or Asia are the only places really. Asia, there are a few civs that could be put in, like The Khmer Empire, but Europe only really has room for Poland.

18. Mowque

Mowque Hypermodernist

backwater? depends on the time period. you have the, songhai, the zulu (a bit late though) the arab influnce tarding kingdoms on the east coast, we have benin (sp?) on the west, all the other kingdoms of the Sahel, and the Zimbabwe.

no civs?

19. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

Deleted. Double post.

20. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

The right African civ to add is Great Zimbabwe. It's placed in the southern part of the continent, which is the only sensible place to add another civ. Furthermore, it arrives early enough to have a chance against the Europeans. In fact, they fought off the Portuguese for many years.

Edit: I just noticed this up the thread.
    This is the same thing I was referring to. The solution is found the civ when Great Zimbabwe was founded, not when it reached the Imperial phase. That would be the tenth century and is consistent with what done is with the other civs.