1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A "new" look at alliances

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by general_kill, May 11, 2004.

1. general_kill

general_kill Deity

This is just a simple trick with diplomacy you can use. Mainly, if you brought a few civs into a war against a common foe, you allies will likely continue the war due to the success. However, you are paying a hefty price for that alliance, thats why you should end the alliance after 20 turns. However, after ending the alliance that you are paying for, start a new alliance and ask money from the AI. This will help you recover some of those gold per turns that you lost in the alliance, it will slow you allies' advance on the dogpiled enemy, and this will give you more power to conquer/burn and pillage more of the enemy's land before your allies.

I've been using this strategy ever since I understood the diplomacy rules of civ 3. I havent seen a post about this so I apologize if this is a well known strategy already.

2. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

It is generally not used much because most people prefer quick wars, without any binding alliances. There are a few situations where this could be implemented. (Like in my last game... Why didn't you pos this earlier?) I usually find that I don't want to 2/27 of my game to be locked into a war where I have no say in when it ends. There is always the possibility that the AI will make peace during the second MA, breaking the deal and you lose the gpt.

3. binyo66

binyo66 King

On emperor level its necessary to ally twice against common enemy (if they survive), if AI made peace during that time, I just renewed it. After 30+ turns, the next alliance, AI would pay for us to keep in war. I use it so many times. My style, If no AI declare war on me, then I will declare war with them (and usually the highest culture AI), and I brought the rest of the AI in. Either I sent a unit or not its different story (I would sent unit when its ready, and I done building infrastructure). So my war is always a long war. In ancient/middle, it could be 40-60 turns (well u know how AI handle the war, especially to different island). But after I done and start sending units, its like 5-15 turns (I'm either monarchy or republic).