A New Mod In Progress: Help Needed

Bobby Lee

Confederate General
With every version of civ that has come out since civ 2 I have created my own mod for it with just my skills. Now Conquests has come out and I am once again working on createing a mod for myself. This time though I have decided to a really good mod, not just the half hearted attempts at making things more to my likeing that I have done in the past. This time I want to do alot more.

Specifically I intend to get the tech tree reworked, add new units, and rework the attack, defense, bombard, and movement factors for all units. I want to rework the basic rules to make them more realistic as well. I have also considered reworking the resources to my likeing as well but that is just a bonus. All this work means I need help. Below I list positions I will need and I ask for volunteers for any one of em, if sumone has asked for a position already simply say you would like to do that also (never hurts to have more than one :) )

Tech Tree Designer: RedAlert

Graphics People (definately more than one needed here): Gogf (resources)

Text Person: Kulade (civilopedia designer), Bobisback (units)

Units Person: Bobisback, Gogf ("Mr. Navy")

Resources Person: Gogf (graphics), Boreas (implementation)

Map Makers: ???

and never hurts to have a few more of these:

Historical Advisors: Kulade, The Last Conformist, RedAlert

and of course

BETA Testers: Lachlan

If you have any questions feel free to post them. In case you are wondering what I will do....I will coordinate and do what ever else needs doing that I can.

I look for this to turn into a community project so there is no such thing as too much help. :)

Thanks

This mod is based on realism for the most part. I want to rework the unit stats for instance because I have trouble with a spearman beating rifleman and such. At the same time I also wish to add more units and techs because it would increase the realism as well... i guess you could say this is a realism mod.

Tech tree wise I thought of using all the same eras but simply adding in "sub-eras". Like for each sub era all techs lead to one or two techs that are not researchable without all major techs before it. Heres wut I have in mind so far.

Ancient Era:
Pre-Classical sub Era
Classical sub Era
Iron sub Era

Middle Ages:
Dark Age Sub era
Middle Age sub era
Rennaissance sub era
Age of Revolutions sub era

Industrial Age:
Napoleonic sub era
Middle Industrial era (not sure wut to call this but it would be around 1850's to 1895)
Pre-Great War sub era

Modern Age:
Great Wars sub era
Cold War sub era
digital age sub era

(Each sub era would need units to match them)

Not a bad idea. I'll be willing to help. On my signature there is a link to my WotA. You can find an early ancient tech tree there.

:)

Welcome Kulade...

now if only i could get just a few more volunteers for key positions that would be great...

I put this scenario on my sig :). For the ancient units:
Pre-Classical
Javelin Thrower 3/1 B=2
Clubman 2/2
Spearman 1/3
Classical
Archer 5/2 B=4
Axeman 4/4
Shieldman 1/6
Iron Age
Composite Bowman 7/3 B=7
Swordsman 6/4
Heavy Shieldman 1/9
For Bombard value I just doubled the attack number. Tell me if you want changes.

Defensive Bombard. I change the bombard number to comething lower. I personally like high bombard on everything:) .

Originally posted by Gogf
If you need them, I would be willing to make resources.
You must go to every single thread asking to build resouses. :lol: Im still waiting on WotA...
Bobby Lee, whats a "graphics person?"

Pretty much. I'm working on the WotA resources. I want to release them all at once. I like making resources, so I offer to do them.

Originally posted by kulade

You must go to every single thread asking to build resouses. :lol: Im still waiting on WotA...
Bobby Lee, whats a "graphics person?"

Graphics person...or persons would be a better way of saying it... basically i would like to be able to customize the graphics for various things...over time i would really like to have all the units graphics be unique to this scenario (though i realize that could take a really long time so it will prolly be in later versions) and there are wonders which will need splashs no doubt...techs that will need symbols... prolly a new units_32 file will be needed...never hurts have a graphical interface that is unique.. but that is a bonus... so on and so forth... i guess that should be plural

Originally posted by Gogf
If you need them, I would be willing to make resources.

u got it...

question... do u want to design them or create the graphics or both.... doesnt matter to me i just need to know wut to put on the thread :)

oh, almost forgot... Welcome to the team...

we're steadily growing...

I've promised myself not to volunteer for beta-testing anything more at least till I get to the point I have the time to beta test everything I already should be beta-testing, but I'd be happy to give any help I could re: history/realism, or anything else that can be done by pontificating here rather than sitting down a few hours with the editor. :D

Originally posted by kulade
I put this scenario on my sig :). For the ancient units:
Pre-Classical
Javelin Thrower 3/1 B=2
Clubman 2/2
Spearman 1/3
Classical
Archer 5/2 B=4
Axeman 4/4
Shieldman 1/6
Iron Age
Composite Bowman 7/3 B=7
Swordsman 6/4
Heavy Shieldman 1/9
For Bombard value I just doubled the attack number. Tell me if you want changes.

needs a little polish but i like...

what if the archer was available in the pre-classical along with the javelin and we got an upgrade for both in the classical...the javelin falls out of use in the iron but the archer gets another upgrade...

maybe the clubmen, axemen, and swordsmen should get all have sum generic infantry type name...like Pre-Classical Infantry, Classical Infantry, and Iron Age Infantry or sumthing to that effect...

what should be done with cavalry... i dont think it should come into play until the classical...despite the fact that it did technically exist before then...perhaps it comes in as Ancient Cavalry and then upgrades to Ancient Cavalry II with the following stats...

Ancient Cavalry: 6/5 with zone of control
Ancient Cavalry II: 9/5 with zone of control

obviously both get 2 to 3 movement points...

perhaps those stats unbalance the eras though?

One thought on UU's:

What if every nation's UU was like an extra unit they can build...more expensive than the basic..not by much but with better stats in both offense and defense and/or if the situation warrants it more movement...

also i think every civ should have its own version of knights , for example:
Germany: Tuetonic Knights
Arabia: Horse Archers
Egypt: Warriors of Anubis (I realize this has been discussed in another thread and i will give credit for the idea should we use it)
Japan: Samurai

and so on...would take sum thinking for sum cultures and maybe sum would just get a generic knight unit for thier culture grp?

oh and the bombard values are fine... cept maybe that composite bowman needs to be cut down a few notches... i dont want anything competeing with catapults and ballistas and such...

btw how should that work? artillery i mean? maybe you get ballistas and catapults in the classical era with bombard ranges of one and bombard values based on values?

Originally posted by The Last Conformist
I've promised myself not to volunteer for beta-testing anything more at least till I get to the point I have the time to beta test everything I already should be beta-testing, but I'd be happy to give any help I could re: history/realism, or anything else that can be done by pontificating here rather than sitting down a few hours with the editor. :D

by all means, i appreciate the help... ill even put ur name under advisors :)

Top Bottom