A new OS from MS? WinPE

damunzy

recovering former mod
Retired Moderator
found this info from the site AppDeploy.com. (link)
From The Company...
"Microsoft® Windows® Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) is a minimal operating system based on the Windows XP kernel. WinPE functionally replaces DOS and contains the minimum functionality needed to run Windows Setup, scripts, or custom installation & imaging applications. With WinPE you can automate the preinstallation of Windows to your workstations and servers. You can also:

- Create and format disk partitions, including NTFS file systems.
- Access file shares on your internal network and make up to four network connections.
- Support all mass-storage devices that use Windows 2000 or Windows XP drivers. "

From AppDeploy.com...
A DOS replacement. WinPE is a 80mb 32/64 bit, plug and play environment capable of running directly from a CD.

Doesn't sound like a OS that anyone would really want but interesting none-the-less.
Link to MS: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/sa/sam/winPe.asp

Wow!

Sounds like an attempt to make DOS a GUI. Of course ya neva know with gates.

Originally posted by Knight-Dragon
Win pee? :lol:
:lol: I didn't think of that!!

Winpeepee! :D

I think Bill gates needs to watch his language. It almost sounds like whimpey too.

Hey PH, what is the URL to the Ninja site, the one where the author loves ninjas with all his body :D :D

A DOS replacement. WinPE is a 80mb 32/64 bit, plug and play environment capable of running directly from a CD

does anyone besides me recognize the need for the mass hangings of MS executives here?

Lets see.... hmmmm..... a DOS replacement. How big is even a network DOS kernal (like DR's?).... about 300K? 0.3 MB? Definintely less than one floppy (1.44MB), and certainly less than 80 MB!!

So we have really "moved up" in the world.... "ONLY" 80 MB to boot to a Prompt?

Hey, we still hang horse thieves in Texas... maybe it's time we changed the law to include horse thieves and MS Executives... the world won't mind... they know us Texans plant our criminals in boot hill by the bushel. And boot hill (PUN?!? ;) ) seems to be an appropriate place for those MS goons to get their final "boot"!

Top Bottom