A New Player

AZA

Chieftain
Hello Fellow Civ Heads.
I have been visiting this site for almost 2 months now and have looked forward to playing a "Game of the Month" since the start of March. Every other day when i visit the "Download GOTM" it still only offers the Jap February GOTM #85.
???
Yet i see from this GOTM Forum some of you have already played a March #86 game.
???
I have also sent 3 messages ( including my plays of the February GOTM since i was getting bored awaiting the March game ). I have not recieved any response from the 3 individuals i emailed including questions about "rules" for playing the Game of the Month.
( I can not find all the rules clearly stated anywhere on this forum. )
my questions went to...
the iconic santa marine, some kind of Duke
a aaron@mafoo.com admiring his strategies
Civ2GOTM@civfanatics.net sending them my first play of a GOTM.
no responses.
???
Are yall having trouble with the website, which im seeing comments alluding to? Or is this some kind of closed in house tribal warfare?
:)

Casper, aka AZA
A Diety of Civ2 on a small random world with raging barbaric leaders offering themselves up for 150 gold coins and cheaply purchased free NONE warriors exploring the dark regions.

BTW... i was asked to introduce myself being this IS my first post. However when i linked to the site it was all old old posts. Nothing recent. Thus i'm going straight to the heart here hopefully of like minded Civ 2 Heads.
I started playing Civ1 on a 286 computer. Never got the hang of Civ3. Never tire of Civ2.
admire Sid Meier the real gaming diety. :)

Welcome to GOTM and civfanatics AZA. This forum is the right place to check for GOTMs. I posted GOTM86 on March 4 in this forum. It is currently the fourth thread from the top. Look for it by name, as the order changes. If you go to that thread you will see a link to download a saved game.

A new GOTM is posted around the first of the month and is usualy due about 5 weeks later. For the rules go to
http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/civ2gotmrules.shtml

For submission instructions go to
http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/civ2gotmsubmit.shtml

Each GOTM is discussed in two threads. The first thread is about the game beofre it is played. Any questions, concerns, strategy thoughts, ... go there. The second thread is a spoiler thread where various players talk about their game and post their logs. This thread should not be viewed till you have played enough to know what is going on in the world of the game. I typically do not look at the spoiler till I have swapped maps with most of my rivals.

Sorry Aza,

I've been swamped lately and haven't had much time to visit the forum let alone reply to messages.

I did get your submission for the Feb GOTM. Ali has already pointed you to the spots that would help answer your auestions. Regarding the 'bonus score' and 'and manually' items; If you finish the game before a certain date the game gives you a 'bonus score' figure when you hit F9. Because of this, any game you end 'early' the bonus score is ignored and the points for each section are added manually; citizens, wonders, barbs, spaceship, etc...

Thanks Ali and Santa Duke...
I have been studying this site and forum more and getting the hang of it.
I found a better listing of the rules at...
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=27238
But some of the links no longer work. I can generally find posts that discuss numbered rules tho.
I never realized there were so many tricks and programing oddities that are available and allowed!
I have always played it straight, i dont even know how to cheat. I never replay a turn even if i feel cheated by the ai. I wish the ai was smarter, it never seems to launch and full scale organized multi city assault.
Oddly...
i see that rehoming caravans or freight is not allowed.
Sometimes i would do it after realizing i already had 3 trade routes established or did not need them for a quick Wonder build. Not allowed tho. Hum. I see mentioned as to why but dont fully comprehend it.
It has always been a mystery as to why some routes give such a higher bonus. I generally just trade between my cities because i get the 2 for one plan. Its pretty risky sending a caravan across undeveloped land only to have the foreign city civ decide it does not like me when i arrive at their city gates.
Some folks have really develed into the intricasies of many occurances such as using charts to find when anarchy can be circumvented on certain dates. I have run up to 10 turns trying to get out of anarchy. I always desire the Statue of Liberty, you gotta have it if you are warring in democracy.

Who ever has all this knowledge at hand is who would win a GOTM. Knowing where huts are located, other civ cities, black terrain. I don't think i would enjoy playing that way... but i sure enjoy playing CIV2.
It also amazes me how some can conquer the world so quickly with only chariots. This can be done on a large world and in diety mode?
Unbelievable. Amazing. The mid 1800's is the earlist ive ever conquered a small world in diety using calvary. Generally its alway mid to late 1900's. Are any GOTM's in diety?
I dont generally enjoy the excessive management toward the end or building a spaceship. This can give you a great score but it really get boring and time consuming for me. Its generally over at that point anyway as far as beating off attackers.
That is one of the fun things about CIV2 in that there are many ways to play it. Conquer the World, Alpha Cent, High Score, Speed Play.

GOTM may force me to look at different styles of playing and that would be educational.

I'm curious how i ranked in the Feb game. I will keep studying and exploring the forum. Thanks for your responses.
:)
Casper, aka AZA

silly me, I made a similar mistake - i saw the spoiler thread and the GOTM Techniques, Cheats, Rules & Discussion Thread, and went to the download page, but somehow overlooked the GOTM 86 (8 Triangles) thread. Fortunately, I found it in time to download it yesterday and should have the game finished tonight.

Top Bottom