1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A new record for me

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by subanark, Aug 16, 2008.

1. subanark

subanark Warlord

My fastest game ever. I lost on turn 3.

Started right next to the lich. Maybe building a city in my starting spot was not the best of ideas.

My game:
    Turn 1: found city. Have warrior go to the sepulcher, only to get kicked off the space (and into my city) and the lich spawns on that spot.
    Turn 2: lich spawns 2 skeletons
    Turn 3: skeletons approach city
    Turn 3.5 Skeletons attack, my warrior dies, game over.

I guess there isn't any plan to ensure that the feature doesn't start next to a player's starting location?

2. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Lich will not spawn until someone attempts to walk onto the Sepulcher. If you left it alone, he wouldn't have bothered you :)

On a related note: The Guardian of Pristinus Pass spawns 3 Gargoyles when you walk onto a tile next to his mountain, so don't do that early in the game either.

3. deadliver

deadliver Loud Mouth Amateur

Barbatos doesn't spawn til a non barbarian enters the square, so defend that sepulchre with your life yo! :scan:

4. MrPopov

MrPopov King

so if it is on a river tile, could you gain access to the death mana without having to build a road?

5. Gelvan

Gelvan Prince

In my first 0.33 game I was wiped out by the Sailors Dirge. And that was on Chieftain difficulty. My thierd game I started at Settler difficulty. Somehow it seems to me, the AI is much better in 0.33 (stacks of units on Chieftain, that approach a City that built Great Library that turn).

6. subanark

subanark Warlord

If that is true, then it would be very annoying making sure nothing accidentally steps onto it. I wouldn't be able to automate any workers, since they would just love to connect up that death mana. And open boarders would be quite risky.

Maybe if it was like a super graveyard that you could risk robbing multiple times until the lich wakes up instead of simply getting too close. But he wakes up automatically at a reasonable time like turn 100.

7. Psychic_Llamas

Psychic_Llamas Wizard in the Making

i really like this idea. but ensure once barbatos spawns no further exploring can occur.

8. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

I have to agree that in my first game, the AI is much better.

For example, I always use the AggAI option in my games, and in the past, not much happened in the early game. However, in this game, 2 AI civs declared war on me before turn 150 (epic speed).

Also, I have been really getting pounded by the barbs. Lizardmen and Skeletons showed up VERY early in the game (before turn 30) and now, in turn 200, I am getting Wolf Riders by the bunch.

Quite a challenge at Monarch - much more so than I was used to in .32!

9. Bad Player

Bad Player Deity

I don't like the idea of workers accidently setting the lich off but I definitely like the idea that your civ could easily be wiped out at the start of the game.

Remember the randomness of death in war and all that.

10. Marksman77

Marksman77 Aethernaut

The danger of being wiped out early is integral part of any FfH game, I couldn't live without it :D No easy starts, you have to hold your guard from the very beginning.

And I think I liked it better when Barbatos blocked a significant part of land with his summons.

11. Fafnir13

Fafnir13 King

I never automate them anyways. :mischief:

12. subanark

subanark Warlord

I tend to automate them later in the game, as the micro management gets to be a bit much. But for a novice, possibly for MP or if you just want to have a faster game, automating workers should not be so scary.

Personally I hope them get rid of workers (as units) in civ 5. Leave terrain improvements to the city screen.

13. JanusTalaiini

JanusTalaiini Prince

Isn't that how it worked in the Call to Power series? I was never a huge fan of that system.

Then again, I'm also a micromanager who wouldn't dream of automating workers (even when I control most of the map and have 30+ of them)

14. Gelvan

Gelvan Prince

that's true, but to get sailors dirge before turn 60 will kill you every time even if you only build warriors from turn 1. Sailors Dirge arriving at turn 40 leaves you with maybe 2-3 warriors with strength 3 (+25%) and 3 skeletons attacking with strength 4. the chances to survive are really a bit bad.

15. Saytr

Saytr Ex-Faun

Not really. But turn 60 you have a small cultural defense (10 %), warrior bonus from defending cities (25%), and if you see the Dirge spawning near you, it's a good precaution to build a plaisade and extra warriors, making survival quite easy.

16. Gelvan

Gelvan Prince

yeah checked it out, you're right. I should not have built this worker... :)

17. deadliver

deadliver Loud Mouth Amateur

Seriously. Only time I have problems with Skellies is when I completely neglect my military in favor of buildings or workers.

I have never even seen the Sailor's Dirge let alone been killed by it but I worry more about the hordes of orcs running around pillaging than I do the skellies.

18. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

Not nearly as bad as when the game spawned all civs with no units. Auto death on turn0

19. Milosrdenstvi

Milosrdenstvi Chieftain

That settler has 4 moves for a reason.

Run away!

20. subanark

subanark Warlord

I'm not saying it has to work like call to power, all I'm saying is may parts of workers just make the game sluggish.
    Micro management I end up doing:
    1. To connect a resource I will make the improvement first then the road if I plan to work the tile, otherwise I make the road first in case I need to evacuate the tile.
    2. I try to optimize the placement of workers if I'm waiting on a tech.
    3. I may partially build an improvement if I'm waiting on a tech and abandon it to get the one I really want, and later come back to it.
    You also supposedly get good starting positions.
    If you go past the recommendations of civs per map size and something goes wrong, its your own fault.