A note from Firaxis on Civ 4

arkammler

Chieftain
Meanwhile, Sid Meier's Civilization IV continues to progress quite nicely. The gameplay is really beginning to click, the 3D graphics are nothing short of spectacular, and the multiplayer game is coming together faster than we expected. We've also been doing a lot of work on the game's internal architecture to allow for easy player-modification (mods) using the industry-standard Python and XML programs, and we confidently expect you folks to come up with some great new maps, scenarios, units and even entire civs!

http://www.firaxis.com/behindscenes/sidjeff.php

arkammler

If the MP is as great as we've heard it is so far, then I think I'm going to be playing it more and more often!

i hope they can create as many "factory civs" as possible without us having to aquire a mod.

Thanks for the news tip arkammler. :thumbsup:

They say the 3d graphics are spectacular?
I want to see a screen-shot! Now!!! :mad:
The suspense is killing me! :crazyeye:

That's great that they're making the game "Modder Friendly" :)

arkammler said:

Honestly, my biggest concern is the 'cop out' clause that Firaxis might pull on the community once the product ships.

If stuff are broken, we will be told to fix it ourselves.
If we suggest to fix something, we will be told to fix it ourselves

heck they wouldn't even need to patch the game. I certainly hope that's not in the post release plan as I fully expect several patches to bring the 'standard' game up to par.

Dexters said:
I fully expect several patches to bring the 'standard' game up to par.

That's an understandable expectation, since it took Civ3 ten months and four major patches to deliver smooth gameplay on many core concepts. On the other hand, they -did- stick with it, for as long as it took.

Blizzard damaged my trust in the industry by rushing the Diablo II expansion out the door well before it was ready, pulling one quickie patch, and then dumping it with tons of problems unresolved. Their slogan was "Not until it's ready." Yeah, right. :rolleyes: (Blizzard did patch Diablo II three years later and finally fix most of its issues, but that was on the initiative of one very dedicated employee).

Firaxis's patching efforts for Civ3 showed me that some companies are more trustworthy than others. Who was the man behind the Civ3 patching effort that proceeded until they got it right? Soren Johnson.

Who's calling the shots for Civ4? :)

- Sirian

Top Bottom