1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A patch will NOT fix this game. Ever.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Dearmad, Jan 13, 2017.

1. HF22

HF22 Warlord

Seriously? Even the AI modders will tell you they haven't (& can't) fix the AI yet. The improvements made at this point are small, but the inherent issues large.

2. Dale

Dale Mohawk Games Developer

WPC is nothing to do with me anymore. The security issue there is someone else's problem.

Though I did just update my sig. Totally forgotten to do that.

Here's the thread I was talking about from WPC: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/sho...ase-Civ-6-on-week-of-release-(September-poll)

Untitled.jpg

3. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

I don't doubt it. It just seemed strange to keep rolling dice when they were so obviously rigged against your type.

4. bladex

bladex Emperor

i use
    Quo's Fewer AI Tantrums
    and smoother difficulty and they run pretty well for me.

5. HF22

HF22 Warlord

Well, obviously if you are enjoying the modded game, that is great.

But in terms of challenge those mods don't do much. The AIs still terrible, unless you try to play peaceful.

6. bladex

bladex Emperor

than you must be playing on a low difficulty.if i let them the ai would build right up to me and surround me. than build an army and surprise attack me trying to take my cities. but i never let them even get that close :p

7. HF22

HF22 Warlord

Ah, no, I play deity exclusively. Not that its much harder than lower levels, because AI bonuses are just extra stuff my relatively small army will steal off them. Because the combat AI is terrible.

But again, if you are having fun, all power to you.

8. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

The exact same paradigm as Civ3, Civ4 and Civ5.

But I agree, games in general seem to be heading towards multiplayer-focused, not just because it saves money on developing an AI, but because it presents more opportunities for in-game purchases etc.

9. HF22

HF22 Warlord

I don't think anyone denies Civ 4 was significantly more challenging than Civs 5/6. Both because the mechanics were easier for the AI to use, and as the AI bonuses were more effective in the context of those mechanics.

10. MosheLevi

MosheLevi Prince

Civ 6's AI is a disaster, worst Civ AI ever......
    The AI is very slow to expand and trains almost no military units.

I played the game several times on Emperor difficulty where I declare war on up to 5 AI's at the same time and had no difficulty conquering them all.
    The AI simply doesn't train army units, not even at times of war.

It makes the game so boring, and frankly unplayable.

I can't play Civ 6 any more, I am back to playing Civ 5......

11. Jabulani

Jabulani Warlord

I quitted playing civ vi since weeks and now also uninstalled it due to the missing AI.

See you guys within 6-8 years, hopefully when Ed Beach and sons will be a far sad memory, cheers

12. DutchJob

DutchJob Prince

Come on, Ed Beach's input probably saves the game. The fact the AI can't handle 1UPT is not his fault.

13. Bard of Prey

Bard of Prey Chieftain

I hate when people say that, especially to modders.

From my experience, there have (so far) been 3 distinct 'eras' of modding:

1. "The Olden Days"

Way back in the distant past, when the Internet was just a gleam in the US Defence Department's eye, there were no mods. We had fire, some indoor plumbing and games that were just sold as-is. They didn't even patch them. If the game wasn't good at release, it would fail and the people who made it would have to go dig ditches for a living, or whatever. The closest you would get to a mod would be when some intrepid soul cracked the .exe file and messed around with it. The results were kind of random, but fun in a way. It could only be called 'modding' though by the sort of people who would say the Visigoths 'modded' the Roman Empire.

2. "The Golden Age"

After a while, some game programmers started storing key variables in external files. IIRC, the very first Civ was a good example. I don't think they did this deliberately to support modding, but more for their own convenience... it was just easier to tweak things that way without having to re-compile the source code every time. A fortunate side-effect was that it also allowed players to start doing real modding. Over time, more and more designers started to incorporate support for modding on purpose, as they came to realize that it was a very popular feature. It also greatly enhanced the value of some games that weren't really built very well to begin with, by expanding the design and implementation talent pool way beyond what would have been viable with paid labour. Personally, I feel like this era peaked about a decade ago (but not strongly enough to argue that specific point). It also led directly (and predictably) to...

3. "Corporate Exploitation"

These days, indie games are fewer and further between and gaming is much more 'big business' than ever before. Blame consoles. Blame the Illuminati. Either way, it's here. For modding, this is the era where things start to get ugly. It's also the one where I get back on topic. Now, it's less about modding as a way for players to enhance the game experience for themselves and others... it's about modding communities being used as a source of slave labour for game publishers. 'Don't like how broken/unfinished the game you just bought is? Well, that's your problem! Other people will probably fix it eventually and we've already got your money! If you're lucky, we may grant you the opportunity to pay more money later for partial fixes. Be grateful and kiss my... ring.'

As a long-time modder myself, I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it. One thing I can say for sure though is that nobody (and I mean nobody) has more right to be frustrated and angry with the current state of game publishing than the people who have spent their own free time trying to fix a broken mess that someone else made a small fortune creating.

TL;DR - If I paid for it and it sucks, it's not whining. It's customer dissatisfaction. Also, expecting volunteers to fix what the professionals couldn't be bothered to care about is not ok and ultimately bad business.

HF22, Zuizgond, Dearmad and 5 others like this.
  14. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

The state of the UI/gameplay of civ 5 and 6 vanilla release, coupled with the ending state of civ 5 MP, is enough for me to have 0 trust in this developer/publisher combination. I'm tired of how shoddy it is to just try to get through a game. I'm playing rimworld and it's UI is several times better. Why? You can discern the gameplay rules through the UI. The UI, as far as I'm aware, does not represent a different outcome from what actually happens (and if it does, that's considered a bug, in contrast to civ 6). The game does not render garbage off screen to nobody's benefit. It does not take several repeated inputs to do one thing.

Rimworld is in alpha. That is roughly where civ 6 is, UI and performance wise. The assets look nice, and it has good music, but Firaxis sold us a game where pieces of it a pre-beta, twice in a row, including one of the most important aspects of any game (controls).

I will come back to playing this game seriously when Firaxis installs decent, post-beta gameplay controls. I realize that means there's a good chance I'll never play this game seriously, given that civ 5's controls were a complete joke forever. This isn't AAA performance. Can't they bring in someone who knows how to make a UI that's up to standards over the last decade or two, or if they have someone let him work on civ 6?

Yes, the AI is bad too. It needs work, but it isn't pre-beta junk :(. Way too many people have come to accept broken and poorly optimized controls as standard to the civ experience. Dark times.

15. dwarfling

dwarfling Chieftain

I kinda forgot this game existed, sadly. I come back to this forum to see if they managed to do something about the AI. Really, just, something. As it stands, after several finished games on the highest difficulties on the first weeks I still don't feel like booting up the game. Sadly that doesn't seem to bother the devs since they already got their purchases basically because it's a Civ game. And now people has to wait for them to churn out expansions to see if the game is fixed. And people is ok with that approach because... I dunno. Remember Rising Tide and how that expansion fixed that game? Yeeeeah...

16. Biz_

Biz_ Prince

he ruined the only good parts about civ5 with the expansions (the whole meta-strategy of wide vs tall). what has he done to earn respect?

civ6 is basically an unbalanced pile of irrelevant city-builder mechanisms. it's not a fun multiplayer game, so even if the AI magically gets fixed, the best case scenario is that it's a sandbox-y history simulator, not an actual strategy game

Dearmad and Zuizgond like this.
  17. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Interesting statement! This is the first time I've ever heard ANYBODY say that the Civ 5 expansions actually made the game worse than Vanilla. Unless this was sarcasm that went over my head.

18. cazaderonus

cazaderonus Actual Dad.

Yeah i was hyped about civ vi and of the 3 games i played, on immortal and deity, well there s no debating that the ai is way less challenging to play than the one from CiV. I also regret the fact that i felt like i could just fly through both the cultural and technological trees.

But, the empire building part of the game was the best i had. Districts might be flawed, but they re still fun and the city spreading is nice for the eye and gives a real feeling of developping an empire and its infrastructure.

So atm, i m on wait and see stance. I will certainly buy the DLCs for the sole reason that i think civ games are needed and i can afford it. I did the exact same thing with civ. Played 1000 hours out of the 1200 i have maybe 3 years after release. So i have faith in civ vi evolution in the future.

As for firaxis, let s hope this helps them understand that AI should be the main focus for a potential CiVII and that a beta of some sorts has to happen asap to help put out a game that is already solid.