1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Perfect World... wouldn't be so flat!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Kyroshill, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

So I was looking at some old maps that I drew, and thinking about terrain and ciV...

And I was wondering how possible it would be to make ciV more 3D...

Rough ideas...

3 levels of hill terrain - just call them hills1, hills2, hills3 in the tooltip... no point in cluttering up the display...

each would provide stackable defensive bonii... such that:

if a non-hill tile can be thought of as hills0, then each differential in height would provide a malus to attackers...

hills0 -> hills1 ==> -25%
    hills0 -> hills2 ==> -50%
    hills0 -> hills3 ==> no attack possible, similar to trying to scale cliffs in an assualt

hills1 -> hills2 ==> -25%
    hills1 -> hills3 ==> -50%

hills2 -> hills3 ==> -25%

conversely, attacking from high to low should give similar bonii to the attacking side

achieving the high ground is key in any fight

Similarly... how about varying mountain heights:

mountain1 --> passable to melee and mounted units (possibly seige as well)
    mountain2 --> passable to melee only
    mountain3 --> impassable

of course gunships are exempted

and of course this leads to a need for a bonus/malus system for mountain warfare (which I wanna see in a civ game dammit! :crazyeye:)

Just my ramblings...

Any thoughts?

2. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas and Suggestions

3. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Even more terrain features and differences between features might be nice from the perspective of aesthetics and 'cool extra new stuff', but I don't particularly think what is suggested here would be beneficial to gameplay. It would essentially be making battles more tactical, and the game more reliant on random chance. The advantages you gain through terrain are an important part of the game, but accentuating the advantages you gain through combat to such levels as outlined in the OP would seem to make warfare quite difficult if you don't have access to hills. With warfare being such an important part of the game, you would be put at a big disadvantage if you did not have access to lots of big hills.

This idea could be implemented to a limited extent without negatively affecting gameplay, but that possibility does exist, and it's something that any implementation would need to be wary of.