A petition to reorganize Other Games

Should Other Games be organized in a manner similar to that which is outlined below?

• Yes

Votes: 42 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Or at least consider making these changes?

My point being that there's absolutely nothing moderators can do here except have an opinion (or an onion, as my phone seems to like suggesting), and we usually don't take to publicly lobbying the admins, to whom this request is directed. Thus my confusion as to what sort of response was expected of me.

To implement the changes asked by the OP?

To implement the changes asked by the OP?

My point being that there's absolutely nothing moderators can do here except have an opinion (or an onion, as my phone seems to like suggesting), and we usually don't take to publicly lobbying the admins, to whom this request is directed. Thus my confusion as to what sort of response was expected of me.

To be absolutely clear, the ModCP contains no 'reorganise forums' button. :)

Then who has the 'reorganise forums' button?

Oh, I thought you actually had a say.

You have more direct channels to the Admins. That being said, the admins, are mods as well, so we are kinda hoping someone who actually can effect this or not.

I wouldn't imagine if i messaged the admins such a change would happen, but if you, the mods, mentioned it to the admins, it might carry more weight?

I think that folks posting in threads like this want to know that someone is listening or at least paying some sort of attention to their ideas. Moderator or Admin response provides that.

So for the record, I did start a thread in the Staff forum to discuss the reorganization posed in the OP of this thread.

I think that folks posting in threads like this want to know that someone is listening or at least paying some sort of attention to their ideas. Moderator or Admin response provides that.

So for the record, I did start a thread in the Staff forum to discuss the reorganization posed in the OP of this thread.

:worship:

You have more direct channels to the Admins. That being said, the admins, are mods as well, so we are kinda hoping someone who actually can effect this or not.

I wouldn't imagine if i messaged the admins such a change would happen, but if you, the mods, mentioned it to the admins, it might carry more weight?

Have confidence in your admins! They read all SF posts/threads. Indeed, if we start a thread in the staff forums on the issues, or use our more direct channels, then change is probably more likely to occur, but then I was just wondering what I was expected to say in public. I don't want to disappoint people by saying, "yes, good idea!" when I really can't do all that much about the matter one way or the other.

Oh, I thought you actually had a say.

On issues of policy, yes. In a purely structural change? That's really up to the admins. I'd hope they're more likely to listen to me, what with being part of their staff and all, but it's not a matter in my, or any other moderator's, wheelhouse, so to speak.

Awesome, thanks.

I don't want to disappoint people by saying, "yes, good idea!" when I really can't do all that much about the matter one way or the other.

Honestly, whether you can personally do anything or not, it's nice to know what you think of our ideas. It's more disappointing to just hear silence for a few weeks than it is to hear you guys chiming in on the issue.

At the very least, you should PM/E-mail the admins these various petitions (all four of them) so we can at least know they read and acknowledged our complaints, even if they don't act on them.

EDIT: And it seems that already happened, at least for this particular petition. Teaches me not to respond to a post without reading the rest of them :p

At the very least, you should PM/E-mail the admins these various petitions (all four of them) so we can at least know they read and acknowledged our complaints, even if they don't act on them.

EDIT: And it seems that already happened, at least for this particular petition. Teaches me not to respond to a post without reading the rest of them :p
The admins and mods pass through the Staff forum daily and there are threads for every occasion where topics can be discussed. Any mod or any admin can start a new thread to stimulate a focused discussion. For example, there is a PD of PDMA thread that continues to gather posts. The NES IOT merge and IOT postcount ideas have not generated sufficient interest to see any specific discussion threads appear.

We have lots of ways to solicit admin attention within the staff forum itself, and they, generally, do weigh in with an opinion when asked. And we do have vigorous and civil debate over issues.

I think this is by and large a good idea. The only point I'm not sure I agree with is merging existing fora into oblivion - the point raised by choxorn. GCII and Rise of Nations are definitely low enough traffic that they should be subfora of All Other Games at least, rather than top-level Other Games. It's really the merging away of CTP completely that I'm unsure about. It's related enough to Civ that it seems like it should have its own forum, however nestled within others. On the other hand, there really is very little traffic there.

I guess you could create a subforum directly under Other Games, call it "Civ-Related Games" or something and make the games like Call to Power, GCII, basically every game that fits that description a subforum of Civ-Related Games or whatever. Alpha Centauri is probably still active enough that you could keep it as a direct Other Games subforum, although even that's arguable.

Actually, pretty much all of the All Other Games subforums that aren't Forum Games, Mafia/NOTW, or IOT are either Civ-Related or other games by Sid Meier. The lone exception is Spore, which probably doesn't even deserve its own subforum and should just be merged with All Other Games. Chess probably should also either be merged with All Other Games or made a subforum of it, since it's basically been dead for a couple of years now.

^^^This, Camikaze is what we wanted^^^

I am not sure who the Admins are, but it would be nice for them to post their opinion on things.
I am not aware of any post by the admin team on anything.
Do they post?
Do they see these posts?
You might tell us they do.. but us peons can't see that as there is no evidence of it.

I support Choxorn's proposal. Really, my methodology here, at the time when I started the thread, was picking out the subforums whose last post was before September 1, without care as to what they actually were.

Top Bottom