A petition to reorganize Other Games

Should Other Games be organized in a manner similar to that which is outlined below?

• Yes

Votes: 42 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why did Spore ever have its own subforum?

It was probably established before it was released and everyone was drunk on hype believing it would be the next big thing.

What about combining Sid Mier's Colonization, Pirates, and Railroads? Shorten the display by two, and they a sort of just different skins on similar games aren't they?

Colonization is basically a Civ IV mod, Pirates is an action-adventure with light strategy, and Railroads is probably about trains. I really don't see why any of them need their own subforum, and Pirates is one of my favorite games ever.

Is Colonization version in the sub forum under All Other Game the old version from 20years ago, or is it the Civ4 version? I though the Civ4 version of Colonization was up in the Civ4 section.

The Colonization subforum in AoG is for the old versions of the game, not the Civ4 spin off version. It is a 4X game similar-ish to Civ. Sid Meier's Pirates! games are kind of like Mount&Blade, they have an open world map you travel around on via ship and interact with towns, treasure hunts, and go into a separate map for ship battles and land battles (capturing towns). Railroads is a real time but pausable railroad tycoon game.

Maybe we could put them together as
Sid Mier's Classics: Pirates, Colonization, Railroads.

I open a thread down in Spore, asking if anybody still used the subfora.

Maybe we could put them together as
Sid Mier's Classics: Pirates, Colonization, Railroads.

Or maybe "Other Sid Meier Games" or something along those lines- just as long as it gets the point across (this forum is for other games by Sid Meier, like Pirates, Colonization, and Railroads)

That'd work, plus there are plenty of other versions for all the spinoffs.

I just don't see the point of merging them, a lot of the threads in those subs aren't titled in a way that makes it clear which specific game they are for. Although if that means we can get rid of the other six useless subboards than I'm all for it.

Couldn't all the threads in each subforum we want to get rid of be merged into a general thread, and then those subforms be merged into the general subforum?

Maniacal has a good point. Despite having an extra 120 pixels vertically, the situation isn't a whole lot better for me. And to think I once browsed CFC on a 1024x768 screen!

I also agree that the Facebook/Twitter bar is minorly annoying. It would be nice to be able to hide it, similarly to how site-wide news announcements can be hidden. (Side note, I use CFC more than Facebook or Twitter combined)

Props on having a gazillion tabs open at once in Opera. My Opera often looks like that as well (though it's the older version).

Is there any significant use of the social media bar? I've never really seen a reason to try to mix personal life and strategy game forums because if someone cared enough, they would already be on here or another site.

I just don't see the point of merging them, a lot of the threads in those subs aren't titled in a way that makes it clear which specific game they are for. Although if that means we can get rid of the other six useless subboards than I'm all for it.

There is a straightforward way for admins to solve the problem of unlabeled threads in a merger: first create prefixes for each individual game - then apply the prefix, say [Colonization] to each thread in the respective subforum - then do the merger. So this should not deter a merger.

That sounds like a lot of work, I get the feeling that the admins here don't have a lot of time on their hands to do stuff around the forum that isn't immediately necessary. Good to know though and that is a decent solution.

Re; the social media bar: The twitter one is kind of useful, but my problem is that it's "hitbox" so to speak is sometimes very large and when I go to open the forum index in a new tab sometimes it opens up to twitter instead. Other times it doesn't show the option at all!

Top Bottom