1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Poland Guide: A Story of Micromanaging

Discussion in 'Gameplay Guides' started by HighFunctioningAlcoholic, Jun 18, 2018.

1. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

HighFunctioningAlcoholic Chieftain

There may be a couple minor errors since I wrote this post-victory, but nothing major. The pictures are rather meaningless, but they show where I was in terms of population at certain turns.

I preface this all by saying this approach (invading HRE immediately) might not be the best one. The micromanaging to get 3 cities to 12 pop in Central Europe (especially with a potential bullfeathers plague right around 1400) made the game borderline unfun, but like an enthusiastic prostitute, I finished. I’m no Fresol, but I’ll try for a little more detail when appropriate.

At the end I will comment on what I would have done differently.

Semi-important note: I haven’t done a scenario that involves a lot of tech trading in a while, so I don’t know if this is unique to this one, but in most trades the other civ (usually France) will ask for 2 techs in exchange for 1. F--- that noise. One turn of research of his tech usually brings the price down to 1 tech plus maybe gold.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

Turn 1: Immediately switch to Despotism, Slavery, Citizenship, Conquest. (Redistribution at first would be ideal, but I didn’t think it would be worth the Anarchy.) Found Krakow on the spot and Gdansk on the Baltic coast to the east of the Oder River (geography!). Set research to Alchemy (no particular reason), have the workers do whatever it is they do and send all your military units into HRE. If for some reason they have a ton of units all camped in their cities, you may be SOL, though depending on their units, this may be preferable to being in the forest.

1060: Magdeburg is captured

1090: Frankfurt falls, Alchemy is discovered. Trade for Guilds. Research Doctrine (though you may need a turn or 2 of Machinery research for when HRE capitulates).

Attached Files:

3. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

1130: Wien falls, HRE capitulates (make sure all their workers are captured), providing Machinery and Commune. Switch to Caste System and Tributaries. (I question my choice of Wien vs. Lubuck, but I’ll get into that later.) Switch research to Crop Rotation for the chopping. Have HRE research Paper.

Note: As soon as the cities are out of anarchy you need to start micromanaging for food, with increasing attention as you get closer to 1400. Keep in mind granaries and aqueducts provide growth bonuses, and baths slow down the more-likely-than-not plague in the mid-to-late 1300s. That being said, HRE riots are a loss of 2 turns, and unhappiness is a killer, so you need to be aware of those as well. At some point switched to align my civics for stability considering my vast overextension.

Attached Files:

4. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

1140: Venice is captured (another decision I will get into later – Italy is likely to spawn if not captured this turn, which raises pros and cons.) Build a wall in Gdansk and ensure it is fortified by 1220.

1200: Crop Rotation is discovered, research Doctrine. Start building the least expensive military units to ensure your Frankfurt, Magdeburg, Gdansk can be garrisoned.

1220: Vikings will either declare war on you or England. Regardless, assuming Gdansk and Lübeck are fortified, they pose little threat. Once you have enough units to garrison your 3 big cities (the above mentioned), advance your presumably promoted units to Roskilde. The Vikings aren’t a threat (even though they should be able to wipe me out with their Huscarl), but it’s best to end the war early, assuming it started.
    Russia also declares war, but they’re not a threat.

Attached Files:

5. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

1240: Doctrine discovered. Research Patronage (but keep an eye on stability – I switched to Education at some point to prevent a stability check. Better planning, which I will discuss later, would prevent this problem). Start building Notre Dame in Krakow. It’s necessary for the happiness in Frankfurt and Magdeburg. Chop if necessary.

1260: Trade for Compass.

1280: Roskilde falls, gift it to HRE. Peace with Vikings.

1290: Start building Settler in Magdeburg (This is a HORRIBLE decision, which will be discussed later).

1310: Notre Dame is completed.

Attached Files:

6. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

revolts, but it did allow my game to end 3 turns early with a GE).

1330: Patronage discovered. Research whatever (I chose Cartography because my empty life feels fuller having vassals – this is a poor choice). Trade with HRE for Paper. Have HRE research Companies.

1340: Education is discovered through trade (?).

1350: I think I switched civics for stability purposes. Regardless, Elective is a good choice, especially if you expanded east.

1380: Turkey has conquered Byzantium and is on the doorsteps. Gift them something and make sure to have some forces in the SE. If they declare, it’s over.

Note: The Plague may occur around this time. It’s frustrating; I was almost tempted to turn off the Plague for a couple turns after my 5th 12-11-12 city population outcome with the Plague killing my 12 citizen in 1400. (A 1380 outbreak was clearly not designed with this scenario in mind.) Regardless, once I realized I was never going to survive it, I reloaded to a while back to make further preparations, but this time it never came. I know, I kind of cheated. but it was an accident. Regardless, if you know it’s coming, it’s possible to withstand, and I think I easily could have without being an idiot and building a settler in Magdeburg.

Attached Files:

7. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

1400: UHV 1!!!!!! Just made it. Easy pickings from now on.

Note: My game ended in 1555 (Turn 111), so keep that in mind in terms of building churches. Ideally, you have 2 Catholic Cathedrals before discovering Academia and triggering the reformation (in 1540 for me), so be mindful of that as well.

1405: Cartography (for me) is discovered. Start building a Caravel in Venice. Peace with Russia. Research Judiciary.

1410: Great Scientist bulbs Humanities and Printing (use appropriately – be careful these discoveries don’t cause a collapsing stability check).

Attached Files:

8. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

1415: Wilno is founded (definitely should have done this earlier for stability purposes).

1420: Leaning Tower is built. Sistine Chapel begins construction in Frankfurt (again, not sure how useful).

1425: Finance discovered. Tallin settled solely for Church building purposes. (In my game Russia was right on the border so I chopped the two forests to the south and southeast. You can direct where the chopping production goes by assigning that tile to the city.)

Attached Files:

9. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

1430: Trade for Companies with HRE.

1445: Judiciary discovered. Research Exploration (another poor choice).

1470: Exploration (again, my choice) discovered. Research Statecraft.

1480: Aztecs reached. There’s no point in switching to slavery (which I did), as your potential future Galleons won’t have time for a round-trip voyage. Tenochtitlan conquered. (Again, no reason for this).

1490: Aztecs capitulate.

Attached Files:

10. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

1530: Trade for Optics with France.

1535: Civil Liberties discovered. UHV 2 completed, as is my 2nd Catholic Cathedral

1540: Academia discovered. Join the counter-reformation. It seems random who converts, but the military threat seems minimal considering you’ll be done in a couple turns. You already have 2 Protestant Churches pre-built, so just use your top 2-3 production cities to build 2 additional Protestant Churches and a Protestant Cathedral.

Attached Files:

11. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

1555: Probably could have used it to better my score (there were a couple of Wonders available), but I had already neglected my score getting to the Americas, so I just used my GE to rush my Protestant Cathedral (saving 3 turns).

Attached Files:

12. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

What I would have done differently:

I’m going to ignore the possibility of having gone east first, as that would have been a completely different game.

In hindsight, I might have razed Lübeck (giving my German cities more space and therefore less micromanaging) and either kept Vienna as my HRE vassal (slight buffer from the Turks, who may attack) or conquered HRE completely (or perhaps demand too much and cause them to rebel after they’ve already given me their techs – best of both worlds). However, this pretty much eliminates Venice as a city (i.e. source of a Church), so I would have needed more settlers. Another possibility would have been razing Magdeburg to give both Frankfurt and Gdansk more room; I am not sure if this would have caused an eventual revolt in Frankfurt, but assuming I could get a city to 12 pop in the east, this would have been ideal.

By far the biggest mistake I made was having Magdeburg produce a setter; I really have no explanation why I did this. Instead, I should have focused Vienna and Venice on producing settlers once they were at the appropriate size – this would have halted their growth (thereby preventing overextension), while allowing me to settle eastern cities earlier (thereby preventing overextension). I clearly wasn’t thinking. Also, I would have skipped Cartography and Exploration; I would have finished several turns quicker, but I have a weird thing about vassalizing the Aztec and Inca. Maybe it’s my inherent need as a red-blooded American to control Latin American policy.

Last take-away relevant to this game is that the best way to get your 3rd Cathedral (and 3rd UHV) is to discover Academia right after your 2nd Catholic Church and discovering Civil Liberties. The resulting Golden Age will allow you to build the necessary 2 Protestant Churches and single Protestant Cathedral before a Catholic civ has time to invade, allowing you to neglect building a suitable army.

Final thoughts: If played on a more difficult setting with semi-competent Vikings (they could have easily overrun me, especially with a couple trebuchets) and more aggressive France and Turks, I definitely would have needed to make some changes. I think the most effective measure would have been having a city or 2 to the east where I could chop units quickly. Further, allowing the Italy spawn by not conquering Venice may give France pause to engage, as Italy spawns with a bunch of units.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  13. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

Depending on whether people appreciated this or thought it was a flaming pile of garbage, I will do one for the Holy Roman Empire (IMO one of the easier UHVs - conquer France, Rome, Jerusalem, game over) or Italy (I usually avoid UHVs that specify a certain amount of culture because it's annoying figuring out the slider, but Italy's UP makes this easier).

Autumn Leaf likes this.
  14. Rodnok

Rodnok Chieftain

Just curious: what difficulty did you play this in?

15. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

I believe it was Regent (I'm of the opinion Rhye, Leoreth, and Merign are much more qualified to establish difficulty levels than myself), but it's possible I clicked Monarch...

That being said, I'm going to be that guy that complains a lot while contributing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING [emphasis mine] and argue that the default difficulty level should be suited to fit the associated scenario.

16. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Complaining can be some very useful contribution.

17. Rodnok

Rodnok Chieftain

Thanks, Yes, it is a pity this information is not accessible after the game start. I am not sure myself sometimes and now I set my name in the game corresponding to the difficulty level selected (call me Emperor...).
    Some civs are playable at higher level, some are not. It would be probably pretty hard to balance all of them to be the same experience on the same level.

18. Enyavar

Enyavar Chieftain

Wait, it's not possible to see? I haven't searched for the info inside the games because I usually know it and write it down with my gameplay notes.
    But, I have checked: I can see the difficulty of all won (and lost) games in the personal hall of fame.

19. Rodnok

Rodnok Chieftain

Oh, yeah, I meant inside the game. I even asked here if that information is visible somewhere (it is in some other unrelated mod I played before) and no one knew.

20. Enyavar

Enyavar Chieftain

So resign (Are you sure...?), learn your difficulty level, and reload...

I know, I also don't like the 0 points and Victory-Type:None. They already make up half of my "victory" hall...