A problem with tourism

Abaxial

Emperor
If you look at the progress towards a cultural victory, you see two numbers, the first of which represents domestic tourism - your citizens who are tourists within your own territory. Now, what generates tourism? Great works and wonders, chiefly.

So, consider a civ with a large empire, plenty of wonders constructed, plenty of great works. Let's say their domestic tourism is 200. Now I invade and capture all their cities except two, all their wonders and theatre squares. What happens to domestic tourism? You would think it would go down, but it seems to stay the same. Is it supposed to represent past tourists? It seems rather odd. The only way to reduce it would seem to be by eliminating that civ altogether.

If you look at the progress towards a cultural victory, you see two numbers, the first of which represents domestic tourism - your citizens who are tourists within your own territory. Now, what generates tourism? Great works and wonders, chiefly.

So, consider a civ with a large empire, plenty of wonders constructed, plenty of great works. Let's say their domestic tourism is 200. Now I invade and capture all their cities except two, all their wonders and theatre squares. What happens to domestic tourism? You would think it would go down, but it seems to stay the same. Is it supposed to represent past tourists? It seems rather odd. The only way to reduce it would seem to be by eliminating that civ altogether.
It can be reduced without war, I've seen it happen in a head 2 head situation while we were at peace. Couldn't tell you how I did it, I was just going for CV and their DT dropped a couple of times (it fluctuated between roughly 17 and 22).

Domestic tourism is based on total culture accumulated. I remember the formula is something super simple like culture/100 or something. That's why taking cities doesn't reduce domestic tourism

Yeah, I've also heard that 100 culture equals 1 domestic tourist.

My understanding is that as you generate tourism, you slowly convert other players domestic tourists into your visiting tourists. Things like national parks, wonders and great works apply a small amount of tourism against all other players in the game. Where as rock bands apply a large amount of tourism against a single target, making them useful for reducing the leading culture players domestic tourists when you're going for a culture victory.

I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense that if you capture most of a civs cities (and their citizens) that they would keep the same amount of domestic tourists.

I think in the current game rock bands are the only way to really reduce a specific civ's domestic tourists (although I could be mistaken on that).

It’s based on all culture accumulated lifetime and includes boosts in that total. So taking cities will decrease the rate they are gaining domestic tourists but not remove already gained domestic tourists.

You do however remove a domestic tourist when you gain a foreign tourist from a particular Civ so all things being equal sending Rock Bands to the domestic tourism leader is more effective than sending them to other Civs.

Of course one way to eliminate ALL the domestic tourists in a Civ is wiping them out. That also means you will not get anymore foreign tourists from them so it makes little sense early in the game but might be the right play if you take out the overall leader closer to the end.

Last edited:
It’s based on all culture accumulated lifetime and includes boosts in that total. So taking cities will decrease the rate they are gaining domestic tourists but not remove already gained domestic tourists.

You do however remove a domestic tourist when you gain a foreign tourist from a particular Civ so all things being equal sending Rock Bands to the domestic tourism leader is more effective than sending them to other Civs.

Of course one way to eliminate ALL the domestic tourists in a Civ is wiping them out. That also means you will not get anymore foreign tourists from them so it makes little sense early in the game but might be the right play if you take out the overall leader closer to the end.
That would explain why my opponent's DTs were decreasing; I'd gain a FT, which is actually one of their DTs that had been converted.

Which is exactly what I did last game. Rather than wait for my tourism to overtake the civ in 2nd place I took his last city and the game ended immediately. A military action gains a cultural victory! All a bit odd, really. It would feel more sensible if a civ's tourism score gradually declined as the empire waned.

It would feel more sensible if a civ's tourism score gradually declined as the empire waned.
Think of both culture and tourism as a civ's reputation. Sure they are a crap civ now but once they were great and that culture is inherent from their past. Even Russia who obliterated their culture did not lose that cultural reputation. You can argue it both ways and they put in place a cumulative approach which I am happy with.

The only way to reduce it
On the domestic tourists.
It is indeed 1 domestic tourist for each accumulated 100 culture.
More important to appreciate is the parameter

TOURISM_TOURISM_TO_MOVE_CITIZEN" Value="200"

So this is the amount of foreign tourism points x the number of civs in the game (so for example 200x8 civs = 1600) to change an enemy civs domestic tourist to one of your foreign tourists.
You are creating say 100 tourism and this is accumulated in each civ that turn until they reach 1600 then a domestic tourist is converted... reduced.

Seems to be the most misunderstood part of tourism.
The power of your tourism does reduce their culture power in comparison so what is wished for is sort of their. I find it quite a clever but confusing mechanic.

Top Bottom