A pure graphical DLC, will you buy?

Will you be interested to buy a purely graphical DLC?

• Yes

Votes: 48 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 75 61.0%

• Total voters

BenZL43

awkward cat
Hello! So this is just a simple research! :)
And an encouragement for the developer, @FX_Sarah and her team, if people are agreed.

One of many strength of CIvilization VI lies in its graphic and detail.
We really appreciate with how they tried to create unique palaces - recently the monuments, too.
There was even a DLC that feature a unique holy site district for a scenario, which looks very beautiful.

(ref: https://hazzard65.artstation.com/projects/vO8ax)

Despite looking so beautiful, this is really painstaking and resource intensive for the graphic design team - or so I imagine. Thus, I think it will be fair to pay for it. Making it a DLC reduce the game's production cost for something that's purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the game play whatsoever.

Those who like a more cosmopolitan flavor can buy it, but those who are fine with current situation (or play in strategic view) can opt out and miss nothing. A similar approach is done by competitor Paraxod's Eurpoa Unverisalis* DLC packs, though some peoples will complaint every now and then how game developer nowadays DLC-ing everything.

Example would be like:
1. Unique Africa Graphic Pack DLC (regional approach)
Render all districts, units, water mills, city states of all Africa (Egypt, Nubia, Zulu, Kumasi CS, Carthage CS) with unique palace, district, monuments, water mills, etc graphic. All available outside the scenario. Purely cosmetic.

2. Unique Holy SIte District Pack DLC (district approach)
Render a unique graphic for all holy site district for all civilization in the world. Again, purely cosmetic.

3. Unique Art for all City States DLC (city state approach)
Render a unique art (palace, units, districts, etc) for all city states that distinct from the nearest culture. Therefore if we aren't able to see separate Portugal civilization, we can see Lisbon CS having their own Portuguese palace, units and district architecture style different from Spain or Brazil. Still, purely cosmetic.

TL;DR: Will you buy a unique skin/graphical/purely cosmetic DLC to make a game more beautiful? Answer in the poll. If we're lucky, we might be an encouragement for them to create more beautiful stuffs.

*I intentionally mistype the competitor's game name to blur it but still recognizable easily.

Definitely not something I would buy. I'm not sure if many would agree with this but there is something about the VI's art style that makes stuff like the districts, improvements and stuff *not* pop out for me. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's just the nature of these games that make my brain not notice the details in the graphics. I just want the gameplay of it I think.
I mean, it was only when I first started looking at posts on here that I sorta realized that, oh yeah, the different civilizations actually have different styles for some stuff.

So yeah, it would be a waste for me personally.

I really love the city artwork. I would prefer to see more unique unit and architecture styles as part of an expansion. But if it wouldn't be made otherwise, and the price was right, I'd cough up for some pretty art, but it'd be easier to swallow if they added some gameplay content as well.

I would gladly pay in support of the many digital artists for Civilization game.

Also hoping for an alternative music pack DLC (war themes, anyone?)

As much as I appreciate the art in Civ, I can't see myself spending much money on a purely aesthetic DLC. It would be nice to have but it'd have to be very cheap unless it was lumped in with new Civs, leaders or wonders for it to represent value for money for me.

Whatever floats your boat, but it baffles me that people even consider this. I'm almost always and maximum zoom out when I'm playing, and rarely even notice how many buildings are in my districts. Giving them slightly different roof decorations seems like a complete waste of time and money.

The more people want eye candy, the more time Firaxis will spend on that (for DLC or for Civ7) and so the less time they'll spend on good, balanced gameplay and a functional AI/UI. I really hope the developers don't see threads like this and think that's what most people want.

The more people want eye candy, the more time Firaxis will spend on that (for DLC or for Civ7) and so the less time they'll spend on good, balanced gameplay and a functional AI/UI. I really hope the developers don't see threads like this and think that's what most people want.

I think they will also see plenty of threads complaining about the AI and UI...

It's not a dichotomy. Wanting nice art doesn't have to be at the expense of functional gameplay.

Alright, let's just assume the price is really reasonable - like maybe less than the usual 5 €. Since it doesn't add complexity of civilization/leader programming stuff.

I don't see why not. If it has a fair price and makes the world prettier, I would be alright for it, but it would also have to include something that just any modder (I assume eventually these kinds of things will be more common in mods, but I digress) could make.

Somehow we have 25 different flavors of buildings and districts but still only one tree.

Is it related to screen resolution or something? I cannot zoom in close enough on the map to really make them stand out that much anyhow. I feel like they're putting an awful lot of work into something I can barely see in-game anyhow.

As far as the vote goes--No way. That's the first step to the crappy DLC policies that other companies have.

Last edited:
I think they do a great job already but would definitely pay extra for even more beautiful detail. I think the price of the DLC would have to be quite high in order to make it worth their time though.

Definitely would buy multiple graphical DLCs, as long as they have good value. I don't think they'll be able to release an AI DLC, as I think the process of hiring additional AI staff to help would be too costly and time-consuming. They'd probably need a few months to a year to get additional AI staff members just to understand the current state/plans with the AI before they could start to contribute.

I really like the civ art, I think it might be time to consider DLCs that add units as well as graphical updates. Although I dislike it when companies go overboard with DLC, so I guess it'll have to be carefully considered. Having DLC units might be a step too far for the civ series, but I can't see any issue with graphical DLCs that don't add any new gameplay elements, rather I think they'd be a good way to increase revenue, and they'd be included in complete editions/sales too.

I still do not understand why they made unique culture related models only up until the renaissance era. It would be nice to see stuff like Japanese musketmen or Aztec infantry.

Finally Toronto would look unique.

Palace:

Ontario Legislative Building

Monument:

Fort Rouillé Monument

Granary:

Redpath Sugar Refinery

Sewers:

RC Harris Water Treatment Plant

Walls:

Refer to the crenellated walls surrounding Casa Loma

Top Bottom