1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Question About Building Obsoletion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Huayna Capac357, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

How does building obsoletion work? For example, if you never research a technology, but every other civ does, do the buildings still obsolete?

2. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

No. It's only obsolete once the owner of the building researches it.

This can be used so that, for example, if you didn't want the Mongols building or using the Great Wall, and didn't mind its effects lasting the rest of the game for those who can, you could set it to become obsolete with a non-era tech given only to the Mongols at the start of the game.

3. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

Ah. Thanks a lot.

4. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Hmm, did not know that you could do that. I just have not tried to modify the tech tree at all. Because I have jazzed up the barbarians a bit, I normally head for the Great Wall first, and keep in going the rest of the game. I have gotten sort of creative with Barbarians. One mod, I set them up with destroyers, tanks, artillery, and infantry. I should have played it in debug mode to see what happened when the AI ran into them. I think that I still have that one around somewhere.

5. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Hah! That's the only way to do barbarians.

6. Takhisis

Takhisis Winnie the Jinping, wer fragt uns?

A practical example on required techs and obsolescence is in EFZI II. All the autoproducing improvements that the humans can build become obsolete with Zombification (non-era tech) and all the Zombies' buildings, e.g. Evil Nest, become obsolete with 'Humanity' :)

7. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

MEM II also uses the trick for Christian and Muslim civs.