A question about compact fluorescent light bulbs.

cgannon64

BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!
It says they cannot be used with dimmer switches; does this mean they cannot be used with dimmer switches at all, or just on the dimmed levels?

I think if you titled your thread:

"Fluorscent bulbs and Jesus Christ: My personal beliefs, feed my ego", you'd get a lot more replies than you're gonna get.

Other than that, sorry to not be much help. But, in an effort to at least be OT, remember, they have to be disposed of properly! :)

Actually, its a good question. :)

Yeah, I'd like to know. I saw "An Inconvenient Truth," and you know, it seems pretty dumb not to take advantage of these sort of things.

(Now, maybe if I had titled it "On seeing 'An Inconvient Truth'..." I would have gotten more of a response.)

I would like to know the same. If they can be used I would love to replace a lot of the lights in our house.

cgannon64 said:
It says they cannot be used with dimmer switches; does this mean they cannot be used with dimmer switches at all, or just on the dimmed levels?

They cannot be dimmed since its not a filament. The way a flourecent light works is by bombarding electrons that react with the phosphorus inside the tube. so you can't dim them since its not a filament burning in a vaccum environement. a fluorescent light is either on or off.

In conclusion : it wont work with a dimmer not can it be dimmed.

I think I got it right! :D

Just so you know, they actually sell ones that are compatible. But I happen to have found a box in the house that isn't, so I'd like to know if I have to go out and buy more.

cgannon64 said:
(Now, maybe if I had titled it "On seeing 'An Inconvient Truth'..." I would have gotten more of a response.)

Yes, but then you'd get a bunch of "DO NOT BELIEVE THE LIBERAL MEDIA LIES ABOUT FLUORESCENT BULBS !@!@!@#%R#$#@"

And then we'd start arguing about intelligent design and how fluorscent lights qualify as WMDs therefore bush is right, etc...

/sigh

Raisin Bran said:
They cannot be dimmed since its not a filament. The way a flourecent light works is by bombarding electrons that react with the phosphorus inside the tube. so you can't dim them since its not a filament burning in a vaccum environement. a fluorescent light is either on or off.

In conclusion : it wont work with a dimmer not can it be dimmed.

I think I got it right! :D
Well, mine does work with the dimmer when it is at full power; I just want to know if this negatively affects its lifespan.

cgannon64 said:
Well, mine does work with the dimmer when it is at full power; I just want to know if this negatively affects its lifespan.

When your dimmer is at full power the fluorescent will work since it needs a huge electrical boost to light up, but does it work when you dim it ?????? I say it dosent.....

It should not effect the lifespan since they only work at full power anyhow!

:)

When it dims at a low level, it doesn't. When it dims at a high level, it flickers. When it's on full power, it looks fine. (What's weird is if you put it on a certain dimming level, you can't see it flicker - but then you move your hand, and you see a strobe light effect. Pretty sweet.)

EDIT: Alright, as long as it doesn't hurt the lifespan, I'm happy. Some sites said it would, but I couldn't figure out why it would make a difference if it was at full power.

I see no reason why this should cause any damage to either your dimmer switch or to your florescent bulb. You can rest easy. (though slowly turning it or leaving it a flickering state may not be the best course of action)

Cheezy the Wiz said:
ug florecsent bulbs give me headaches. I heard it because they blink really really fast. Id NOT go with all flourecsents, it might be bad for your eyes, plus i think they eat up more electricity, no?

Um, no? Those are strobe lights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

Fluorescent bulbs use LESS energy and don't blink at all. Every bulb in my house is fluorescent.

Cheezy the Wiz said:
ug florecsent bulbs give me headaches. I heard it because they blink really really fast. Id NOT go with all flourecsents, it might be bad for your eyes, plus i think they eat up more electricity, no?
I'm not convinced that they cause headaches. Some people may believe that because the enviornments in which they are exposed make them feel bad anyways. And they consume far less electricity.

Cheezy the Wiz said:
Your TV and computer screen "blink" really really fast. You can't notice.

And so far I haven't replaced any of the main lamp-bulbs in my house, just the hallways. When we get around to buying more fluorescent bulbs (although my mother is against the idea for our reading lamps, she wants "warm" light... literally), I'll tell you if they give me headaches or anything like that.

I always thought that it was alright to plug in a florescent light bulb in a dimmer unit.

CivGeneral said:
I always thought that it was alright to plug in a florescent light bulb in a dimmer unit.

I think it'll work, but considerably decrease the lifespan of the bulb. The gas inside the bulbs probably don't respond to well to changes in voltage.

Top Bottom