1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A question about LM Terrain

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Kumquat, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Kumquat

Kumquat Not an Orange

Some of the terrain types do not have LM terrain(Ocean,Tundra,Flood Plain, Etc.) can I add LM terrain for those :confused:

2. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

You can do that with a hex editor but they'll be identical to the base terrain anyway.

3. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

But can you do what you can do to LM Hills, Forest, and so forth, I mean, changing their stats, etc.?

4. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

I was about to say no but looking at the biq spreadsheet it seems possible. I'll play with the hex editor and see.

5. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

There you go. Sometimes I wonder if Firaxis programmers do some stuff just cause they hate modders :rolleyes:

Turns out the "missing" LM Terrains are there, with editable stats and all, you can even add a new graphic. They are just disabled inside the BIQ. After finding the relevant byte and changing one 0 to 1, not only you get a new terrain but you can edit it in the editor...

EDIT: Ok, so it's not a graphics problem, but map placement problem. Namely the editor won't add the new terrain to the map, you have to add the base terrain first (e.g. Tundra), then turn it into a Landmark with HexCmp (see link below for a tutorial).

If you want to try it for yourself, you need to learn the BIQ structure and hex editing. I've posted a little tutorial in the Deepwater harbours thread. It shows how to add Sea tiles "under" Coast tiles, but also shows how to use HexCmp in general. For enabling a disabled LM Terrain, you've got to find the second occurence of the terrain name, and move 33 bytes back, then change 00 to 01... that's more or less it ;)

6. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

To save others some work, I've created a BIQ with all LM Terrain tiles enabled. The new terrains are: LM Tundra, LM Flood Plain, LM Jungle, LM Marsh, LM Volcano, LM Coast and LM Ocean. All these appear in the editor so that you can change their names, stats etc.

You can play with it, or import this specific part of rules (Import->Rules->Terrain) into another BIQ (remember to make backups :) )

Note that you still have to use a hex editor to put the tiles on the map. Or rather, put the non-LM tiles with the C3C editor, then use HexCmp to turn them into new landmarks (explained in the link in previous post). It's easy though quite inconvenient. EDIT: Also, I recommed the excel sheet Shay posted. It doesn't work for me probably because I have OpenOffice not Excel but the equation there is good and lets you find the proper byte to edit based on X,Y values from the C3C editor.

A screenshot just to show it works ;) BTW I've made a new stylesheet that will automate adding these new landmarks, so that it'll be much easier. Going to post it tomorrow with a tutorial maybe.. if anyone cares :S

Attached Files:

7. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

8. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Yes, that's the one. Note that it calculates the map tiles offsets. The LM tile offset is 6 bytes farther and has to be changed from 00 to 20 for each tile.

9. BadKharma

BadKharma Deity

That would be very helpfull I hope you do post it. BTW if you create new landmark tiles can you then make a new LM terrain graphic for the biq to use? Or is the biq unable to find and use a new LM graphic set?

10. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

It will use the existing LM pcxs that are actually there, e.g. tundra is in lxtgc.pcx, ocean is in lwOOO.pcx and lwCSO.pcx and so on. It doesn't always look good, but it's the same case as with plains/grasslands.

As for the Jungle, Marsh and Volcanoes it seems there's no way to use different graphics.

11. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

It will use the existing LM pcxs that are actually there, e.g. tundra is in lxtgc.pcx, ocean is in lwOOO.pcx and lwCSO.pcx and so on. It doesn't always look good, but it's the same case as with plains/grasslands.

As for the Jungle, Marsh and Volcanoes it seems there's no way to use different graphics. There seems to be a way to have new graphics for the forest though - by using Pine Landmark Forest.

EDIT: What also came up, is that in the BIQ with new LMs enabled, the editor gets confused with old LM tiles as well and kinda shifts them... nothing bad, you just have to do some acrobatics, like selecting LM Hills to add LM Forest ;)

12. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

Yay.
    So I was right, you can add a new graphic for the forest, by placing a pine forest and turning it into a landmark with the hex editor. It'll use the 5th and 6th row from the LMForests.pcx ; it will still be LM Forest though, in terms of stats.

As seen below, with Sn00py's marsh-forest in the middle, as opposed to Palm Trees LM Forest below and LM jungle above. Note the LM Volcano too, can be a named landmark :D

13. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

One more screenie showing Tundra vs LM Tundra with new graphic, as well as as Jungle-on-Plains:

I've got a small problem with posting the stylesheet, namely my OpenOffice sheet won't read properly in Excel... and I guess majority of people have the latter.

14. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

15. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

I take it you mean there's no way to have different graphics for the base & LM versions. But isn't possible to use one of those terrains like this:

Say I'm making a map of Tibet and don't need Volcanoes. I swap out the volcano graphics for mountain graphics. Now I've got four sets of stats/rules for variability with the mountains (the original standard & LM mountains + the standard & LM volcanoes). In this specific example I know I've seen posted the way to virtually "turn off" the volcano eruptions, and also a way to use "snowstorm" animations in place of the eruptions.

Similarly, if I don't need jungle, couldn't I use the standard & LM jungle with graphics that would give me four variations of forest (2 graphics sets with standard & LM of each)?

EDIT: Oops! Question accidentally double-posted. The answer is here, posts 3-7.

16. BadKharma

BadKharma Deity

Could you post a link to this?

17. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

18. Blue Monkey

@BadKarma: Yeah, that's the one.

19. BadKharma

BadKharma Deity

OK, I thought there a different one with snowstorms. I wonder if there is a way to use the hex editor to completely turn off the valcanoes instead of only increasing the time for eruptions.

20. Blue Monkey

I was just thinking - if we edited the eruption animation and made the whole thing the magenta/green "invisible color", even the rare eruption would "disappear". The problem of the lava remains: even while invisible it would have an effect on the terrain. Or can its effect be "zeroed out" in the editor?