A question about maps

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Larsenex, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Larsenex

Larsenex King

Are we limited to only the earth map? I really enjoyed the 'big and small' and 'big and medium' map options. Please tell me we can have randomly generated land mass and ocean terrains....

In all honesty I want NOTHING to do with Earth and would prefer maps that are alien or completly different from what good old Earth.

2. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

We can have randomly generated land mass and ocean terrains.

3. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

Pangea, Continents, Archipelego, Earth

Those appear to be the standard scripts; though I am not sure what options each of them has.

Big-Small, Medium-Small at the like are either variants of those or unavailable without mods.

4. Boris Godunov

Boris Godunov Prince

This is a bizarre question, considering nearly ever screen shot of the game so far has shown randomly-generated worlds...

5. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

I don't think we actually know this.

We know those four are the "main" four, but they also said that this is part of the UI streamlining; you can press an "Advanced" tab that reveals more script options, but we don't know what all of those are yet.

6. Boris Godunov

Boris Godunov Prince

Those who've preloaded the game via Steam can see the map scripts in the game files:

Map Scripts:
    Archipelago.lua
    Continents.lua
    Earth_Duel.Civ5Map
    Earth_Huge.Civ5Map
    Earth_Large.Civ5Map
    Earth_Small.Civ5Map
    Earth_Standard.Civ5Map
    Earth_Tiny.Civ5Map
    Four_Corners.lua
    Fractal.lua
    Great_Plains.lua
    Highlands.lua
    Ice_Age.lua
    InlandSea.lua
    Lakes.lua
    North_vs_South.lua
    Oval.lua
    Pangaea.lua
    SmallContinents.lua
    Terra.lua
    TinyIslands.lua
    West_vs_East.lua

7. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

"...are either variants of those..." :rolleyes:

8. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

It looks like there's plenty of variety.

And, it looks like the system for creating map scripts is very similar to the one in Civ IV, so aside from a different scripting language to deal with, it'll be pretty easy for map script writers to create similar scripts for Civ 5 that were done for Civ IV.

I usually feel the same way but the earth map looks so sexy done up in hexes and Civ 5's graphics that I feel like I'll pretty much have to play on it a few times.

9. Sciguy001

Sciguy001 CiV Great Scientist (duh)

Yes, I think that the maps will be good variety-wise and size-wise judging on the size of Africa on the "large" map. Still plenty of space to expand and to war :)

10. Fizticks

Fizticks Chieftain

Hopefully the Suez is a bit larger on the "huge" map type. one tile seemed a tad small considering the tiny space between the Arabian penninsula and African mainland (if you embarked you had no room to defend them with galleys or the like)

11. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

TERRA is back!? These were some of my favorite maps to play on back in CIV IV! Rejoice!

12. Niniux

Niniux Chieftain

No tectonics? :( I loved that map type. The mountain ranges it created would be excellent in this game!

13. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

As far as I remember, Tectonics was a fan-made map script, so it's possible that the one who created it will make a version for Civ5 too.

14. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

There are mountain ranges in this game, i.e properly placed munatin tiles in LINES AND PATTERNS.

15. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

I don't think its informative to claim that four_corners, fractal, great_plains, highlands, ice_age, inland_sea, lakes, north_vs_south, oval, etc. are just "variants" of Pangea, Continents, Archipelego, or Earth.

16. Dünamünde

Dünamünde Chieftain

I must say that I love, love, love playing highlands with ridges and dense mountain population on a TINY map with 13 civs and about 6 city states. Standard speed. The game starts to be interesting very early on, with conflicts arising almost immediately. I think that having a complex diplomacy with most civs discovered early in the game so much fun. Whoooo!

17. ImperialGuard

ImperialGuard Prince

There is a Tectonic map script that you can download from the Customization Forum.

It was made by the same person who made the map for Civ4.

It is excellent !! and as you note, the mountain ranges are excellent, they provide some interesting chokepoints etc..

Also there is another map script I would recommend, its called "Terra Incognito" I think, it is a variant on the "Terra" map script, but generates some excellent maps and has a few options that make it variable as well