1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

A question about submarines

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Zooey72, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Zooey72

Zooey72 Chieftain

I am playing a multiplayer game where my main defense are subs. Other than the normal click and shoot, I am not sure how the stealth works with them. What do the eyeballs mean? When I fire torpedoes does my sub show up on his screen on his turn, and if so is there anything I can do to stop that? How do satalites see subs? How close to a city can I be before I am spotted? (also if there is anything anyone thinks I should know and am not asking I am all ears).

I looked all over the internet and can't find a thing that explains this stuff, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seperate question, is your unit power equal to your highest affinity, or is it an accumulation of your affinities? I know you get better units as you go higher, but does affinity disparity become a collateral thing, or is it just your highest?

2. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

:confused:
    I don't recall there being Submarines in Beyond Earth.

3. Valessa

Valessa Communistress

They were added with Rising Tide.

About the actual Questions (with ~90% certainty):

The eye means that there's something that will detect the Submarine. That can be an enemy unit, an alien, or the city radius. Not 100% familiar with the rules, but I seem to remember that cities have no detection by default and get a total of 2 Tiles Radius once they build the Sonar Net.

Units can attack without being "revealed", but their model will still become visible, which means that a player can actually see the unit itself, but will not get an attack prompt for ranged units, and will not be able to attack the unit with ranged attacks until the player has acquired visibility by moving at least one unit next to the submarine, at which point all units in range can attack.

Not sure what you mean by "unit power". Units don't gain in strength automatically, they only gain strength when being upgraded in the Unit Upgrade Menu. Those upgrades are unlocked after reaching a certain level in 1 or 2 affinities, and once a requirement is met and you've chosen an upgrade the other ones become unavailable.

So if you reach Affinity 1 and upgrade your soldier then that unit will not gain in power until you reach a high enough Affinity to unlock Level 2 upgrades (for example by bringing your main affinity to level 6). Bringing other Affinities to Level 1 does nothing to increase your unit strength.

And then there are of course promotions, but those come from combat experience and have nothing to do with Affinity.

4. Zooey72

Zooey72 Chieftain

I guess a better way of describing it is if I have level 1 in 2 of them, but have level 15 in the last have I achieved all of the upgrades? I know I will not have unlocked as many units to be able build, but of those that I have are they just as strong as the same unit from someone who has 15's in all 3 affinities?

And thank you for the info, it was quite helpful.

5. Valessa

Valessa Communistress

No, like I said: You only ever get one upgrade per Tier. If you pick the Level 6 Supremacy Upgrade, then the Level 6 Harmony and Purity Upgrades are no longer available to you.

Most Units only have a single Upgrade on their first Tier, and it is Affinity-Neutral, it's the same for all 3 Affinities. So once you've picked it up, you have it. Getting another Affinity to the level that is required will do nothing.