A question about Wyrmshadow's WWII aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionic

King
I resized Wyrmshadow's Yak-9 to 75% of it's original size so it looks more in scale to his later fighter planes. How can I get permission to post it?

Attachments

• YakAttacknew.gif
    YakAttacknew.gif
    192 KB · Views: 79
You dont

Shouldnt you be a bit more polite to a new person to the forums? :p

I don't like poeple touching my things.

I also don't like poeple talkbing about me in my own thread as if I don't exist.
May I suggest to add two more units to the downloads in Post 1? I mean Wyrmshadow's Centurion and M-47.

I don't take myself seriously but I take my work seriously.

And to answer your question.. that is polite, for me.

You toucha my things. I breaka you face.

Welcome to the forums, Lionic!

It's good that you've experimented a little with an existing unit and perhaps you'll get bitten by the "must create some artwork for Civ III" bug that many of us have. It may be better to use the lessons you've learnt modifying Wyrmshadow's unit as a step along the way to creating your own units, rather than posting what you've done. I'm certain that if you want to create your own industrial and modern units, Wyrmshadow would be the first to offer his support and guidance, which you would find invaluable.

I can understand that you're keen to share your modification; however, we already have that unit at the scale it was intended to be. Without wishing to sound harsh, Wyrmshadow is one of the best creators around and really knows his stuff when it comes to ancient and modern units. If it's larger than some of the other units, it's because it's meant to be.

Hi Lionic, welcome to the C&C forum. So you've learned resizing, eh? Useful skill. I could use a unit or two resized, if you'd like to apply your new skills to another task. In the meantime, don't be dissuaded when The Creator gets all PC* on you. Move on to another unit, and do your best, which in this case wasn't bad at all.

*Publicly Cranky

"Hi, I'm a newbie.

I just changed something someone else created without asking permission first.

Now I'm asking everyone else in the world for permission to post it, except the original creator."

And poeple say that I'm rude?

That's a true Wyrmshadow scathing reply℠.
If he says no, it's no. It's his property, even if he's letting anyone use it for their mods, you can't do it without asking permission first.
And he's just being blunt, not rude.

I'm sure that both Vawnos and Baltazar would be sining a different tune if the same happened to them. If some new member changed their work without prior permission, but then made a similar post asking everyone else BUT them, would they still be so polite.

I'm not doing this in a vacuum either. The guy also annoyed me by what he wrote in the Downloads database (no deleted).

Its also not the first time this has happened either, but the first time in a long time. When Wotan49 resized one of my fighters, I had Ares talk to him because of the language barrier. I don't mind the Munits, but singles I take umbrage. Same thing happened years ago but iforget the jokers name was.

If my old planes are too large, its because they are old. If they are to be fixed, then I prefer it was me that does the fixing. Otherwise I'd raise a real ruckus about it.

And poeple say that I'm rude?

It's safe to say that niceties aren't your strong point. How about:

"Hello Lionic, thank you for your interest in my unit, but I make it a policy to dissuade others from posting their own versions of my units. Of course, if Sid Meier or Fireaxis had the same attitude about their game, neither I nor anyone else would be here modding anything, and if other game makers took that same attitude about modders here converting their units, nearly a third of the units in the database would disappear, so it would be silly and hypocritical for me to be overly upset about someone modifying a unit or graphic I've made; after all, nobody here has a guarantee that anything they post won't be remade, modded or generally used as any other modder sees fit. We've all kinda agreed to give credit where credit is due, however, so if you share that resized unit with anyone, be sure to tell them that I made the original from scratch.

P.S., there are some good tips for resizing units available in the tutorials section. Have you thought about multi-units?

Your friend,

Wyrmshadow"

Having your stuff modified has happened to everyone here who's made anything useful - me included. It's about a zen attitude, Wyrm. Maybe Lionic would like to learn how to reduce your planes to your specs. I'm sure you'd be a wonderful and patient teacher.

Been there, done that, about a half dozen times already.... and learned quickly it was a waste of key strokes on my part.

If he wants to impress me, then impress me. Not the other way around.

If he suddenly starts making quality gfx on his own, I can quickly change my attitude, just ask Bjornlo about that.

If not, then I don't have the energy to care.

Wyrmshadow has already said 'no'. So that's practically about it, isn't it?

"Hello Lionic, thank you for your interest in my unit, but I make it a policy to dissuade others from posting their own versions of my units. Of course, if Sid Meier or Fireaxis had the same attitude about their game, neither I nor anyone else would be here modding anything, and if other game makers took that same attitude about modders here converting their units, nearly a third of the units in the database would disappear, so it would be silly and hypocritical for me to be overly upset about someone modifying a unit or graphic I've made; after all, nobody here has a guarantee that anything they post won't be remade, modded or generally used as any other modder sees fit. We've all kinda agreed to give credit where credit is due, however, so if you share that resized unit with anyone, be sure to tell them that I made the original from scratch."

:thumbsup:

Oh dear :( I fear I must be the contrarian once again.

I can only compare this to what I create (fiction). If I posted a short story or a chapter of a novel somewhere, and (under the "Fair Use" rubric of the copyright laws) and someone excerpted a paragraph and changed a single word without my - never to be given - permission I'd be beyond furious.

For as long as I can remember on these boards, redoing units has never been, to the best of my knowledge, OK without the creator's permission (hence Ares de Borg's excellent recolorings of some of Wyrmshadow's units) unless that person was no longer active here.

If I'm mistaken in fact, my apologies - but I suspect I'm not mistaken in spirit.

:old: ,

Oz

I reposted in this old thread just to prove I was right.

To reitereate quickly. Newbie wanted to change something that wasn't his and asked permission from everyone else BUT the original creator. That is why I was mad.
Balthasar said I should have been nicer. I noted that times past I was nicer and tried to be a mentor, but 99/100 times it was an utter waste of time and I was the one that ended up poorer for it.
So Balthasar assigned a challenge to Newbie to make something worthy of my attention.

I'm still waiting. Hence the Ted Knight clip from Caddie Shack to illustrate my smug gittiness at being right once again.

Nobody's said that you weren't right, y'know. This leonic fellow must have simply dropped off quietly while no one was looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom