A question for the Christians here

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hitro, Dec 12, 2003.

1. floppa21

floppa21 Crusty Manhole

Pentecostal.

2. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

I suppose JFK was the Pope's puppet also? But I won't get into any argument in this thread.

@ Aphex: You're probably right. :)

3. Pontiuth Pilate

Pontiuth Pilate Republican Jesus!

Several lifetimes from now when I'm [:eek:] a Christian, I'll probably be an Arian or Albigensian. These sects, imho, best represent Jesus Christ's REAL message. Unfortunately, I'd have to go back in time to enjoy membership in these groups. The Church burned, mangled, and slaughtered them into extinction. In the case of the Arians, their greatest fault was putting the letter i in a word where the Pope didn't think it belonged. Hence their sole contribution to modern Christian civilization, the word "iota".

The Cathars [other term for Albigensians] made a critical theological breakthrough in their discovery that the Creator, if he exists, is really the Devil... a belief adopted to some extent by Witnesses and Lutherans, if I'm not mistaken? At least certain members of these churches at CFC have alluded the sole possibility of salvation being Jesus reaching out "despite" the efforts of He who rules the Earth. It really does fit in with all that "world-fallen-into-sin" doctrine, doesn't it... and it chimes with the obvious facts, ie, that the Earth has every appearance of being created for the especial purpose of plaguing mankind. Not, as some environmentalists would have it, the other way around :p

4. naervod

naervod My current user title

Lutheran, practicing.

5. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

Finally we agree on something..but I would add: ''the church also slaughtered the REAL christianism..''

and the witnesses don't believe that. dunno about the lutherans :confused:

6. admobadmo

admobadmo Chieftain

Seventh-day Adventist.

Major difference from other Christian denominations, of course, being the observance of the Seventh-day (Saturday) Sabbath, rather than a First-day (Sunday) observance.

In other respects, there are a lot of similarities to other denominations, for exapmple we would agree with the Baptists that baby baptism is incorrect, as I saw mentioned in an earlier post.

7. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

Arent those the "tongues" people?
    I thought you were the independent spirit anyway?

8. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

Are you part of the belief that we're hellbound if we dont think Saturday is the Sabbath?

9. Mojotronica

Mojotronica Expect Irony.

Liberal Quaker.

Founder George Fox was a biblical scholar who came to the conclusion that God intended for Christianity to involve a lot of personal meditiation and interpretation. In this sense, the Quaker faith is quite different from traditional Protestant faiths, with their focus on a "literal interpretation" of the Bible. Fox felt that the Prostestant's "literal" interpretation was no better than the Catholics interpretation of the Bible.

Quakers worship in silence, in communal chambers. When one is inspired by some kind of insight into the faith, on stands and shares it with the group, and others comment on it or share their own relevations.

Conservative Quakers are a lot more puritanical than Liberal Quakers, whose sensibilities often resemble 60s counter-culture philosophers. The most famous unifying aspect of all Quakers is a strong opposition to war. They opposed America's involvement in WW2, they opposed America's involvement in Vietnam, they opposed Clinton's air war in Kosovo and today they oppose the US military action in Iraq.

10. Simon Darkshade

Simon Darkshade Mysterious City of Gold

No. I'm about as Catholic as Ian Paisley. Without the accent. :p

11. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Cake or death?

I'm Quaker, though I am baptized Catholic.

Simon, I never thought you as remotely religious. Would you care to elaborate?

12. Simon Darkshade

Simon Darkshade Mysterious City of Gold

Think Jon Shannow/ The Deacon from the works of David Gemmell. One adheres to the old school of muscular Christianity.

13. Aphex_Twin

Aphex_Twin Evergreen

Since he was "made" pope centuries after his death I beg to differ to you begging. ;)

14. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Christianism became the official religion of Rome during Constantine rule, in the 4th century. Sorry, bu this is common knowlegedge and you're way off.

15. luiz

Nope. He didn't have the title "pope", but he was the leader of the Church of Rome. The proof is that he had a successor, Lino.

16. Aphex_Twin

Aphex_Twin Evergreen

But Catholicism as we know it was established several centuries after the death of Peter. Hey, it's still changing today.

17. luiz

That's correct. my point was that there is a direct line of succession from Peter to the modern popes.

18. Aphex_Twin

Aphex_Twin Evergreen

I would have thought your kind worships el :satan: (in a metaphorical way of course) ;)

19. Alone

Alone Emperor

But that can be applied as well to a Patriarch in Constantinopolis (Istambul).

20. CenturionV

CenturionV Warrior Forever

Protestant, covenanter based, post-mil, the biggest difference between my church would be belief in total truth and total unity of the church. simply put, if your not with us your in error (unless you can prove to us from scripture we are in error ;) ) . and if your not after total truth (no matter how it affects you or anyone else) then your also in error.