A Question of Diplomacy

Jayne

Emperor
I want to open a discussion on what we do when we first meet an AI. How do people want to play it? Do we want to swap techs, or keep them closely guarded secrets? Do we give into demands or make demands ourselves? Treaty or no treaty?

You'll need to talk to ainwood, the military minister, as to whether or not we want to make peace with anyone we meet. We seem to be in a very strong position with all the free units we've had so maybe we'll be able able to start extorting cash from them. :) Mind you, if we have trouble with barbarians then we might not be as strong then as we are now.
I'm all in favour of extorting cash, where possible, and then taking them apart! :nya:

At higher levels the AI tends to gain strength fast so I'm all in favour of destroying any civ upon sight. :D
However, we should first make peace, demand money and stuff and then break the peace, that's why I want the great wall. ;)

doy, your "schoolyard bully" approach sounds good.

ren, unfortunately we cannot exchange maps until we have map making.

let's make sure to also demand their techs (if they don't screw up the road to monarchy). gold isn't everything...

all this must be qualified, however, by our military position at the time we meet a foreign civ (how many units are nearby, how we are dealing with the barbs...).

I want to make peace so that I can put my units right at their city without the risk of being attacked, the AI suspects nothing and then.....hell breaks loose!!!! :satan:

Originally posted by civ1-addict
I want to make peace so that I can put my units right at their city without the risk of being attacked, the AI suspects nothing and then.....hell breaks loose!!!! :satan:

Except the AI likes sneak attacks...

I think every meeting with the AI entails its own set of unique circumstances and I'm not sure we can decide ahead of time how to handle them in a general way. I would be in favor of when we meet another civ for the pres to stop play at that point and then we can discuss the specifics of the specific situation.

^

I agree with Leowind, we should hold this discussion until we actually meet the AI and then decides what to do.

I don't think the game is savable during a diplomacy popup, so a descision would have to be made, but I agree we should try to pause the game before deliberately making contact.

Does anyone have statistics about how far developed the AIs should be now?

Of course the game isn't savable (sp?) during discussion, but with a little luck we will see an enemy unit before we have to talk to them ;)

Originally posted by heliogabalus
ren, unfortunately we cannot exchange maps until we have map making.
Doh, thanks for reminding me :o

Originally posted by Sean Lindstrom
I don't think the game is savable during a diplomacy popup, so a descision would have to be made

That's what I was thinking of when I posted the thread. Of course, once we know more about the AI's we can have a more in-depth discussion. I just wanted to give President Civ an idea of what route you guys want to go down if he's suprised by an AI chariot, for example

Originally posted by ainwood
I think the "peace or not" decision is more the foreign affairs department. How to take them apart is the military one :D

Well I think that the military advisor should make a decision as to the viability of war before the negotiations take place. This would depend on the availability of troops to overrun the enemy, and how much of a threat the AI pose to us - ie, where they are in relation to our cities and what kind of troops they have got. If we meet an AI tank within a few squares of our cities and are still defending with phalanxes then we panic and make peace if possible. That, or borrow a Civ 1 phalanx. :)

Jayne and Sean, you're quite right, events may require an instant decision. It appears Civ1 and the Duke have a plan ready - plan to eradicate them! I'm happy with that, Domestic Peace in our expanding territory makes for efficient development.

Quite the ruthless bunch, here. ;) I'm in favor of demanding\trading techs and\or money, and making peace. Then, as civ-1 addict suggested, moving right up to them, and attacking. If they attack us first, so what? We won't hurt our reputation. Also, I would be strongly in favor of building the Great Wall. I find it sometimes invaluable in my games, especially when the AI is actually being smart. :)

Top Bottom