a question on armour and the middle ages

Could be a number of countries... though I doubt its the Vikings...

Maybe the poles.

the Polish you say? maybe.. i'll see if there are any other suggestions. thanks for that though :)

polish hussars

England... Nah, they had that on their shields.

I agree with S.C.Dude.

then i was right... it was the poles...

yay....

Thats 1 me...

and 235 god...

I'll catch up soon enough ;)

Well, hussars were cavalry, and they wore actual wings rather than winged helmets.

I don't know anyone who'd have used such a helmet, and (though I'm by no means an expert) the halberd head looks a bit big to me.

Quinzy said:
what country in the late middle ages would have used helmets with wings on it?

My guess would be: none.

Why would anyone encumber themselves like that?

I've never heard of it. The unit looks like pure fantasy.

And the winged hussars weren't Middle Ages. They were renaissance. Siege of Vienna and all that. 1600s.

wings would have encumbered them no less than plumes, and plumes were quite common.

the halberd head looks a bit large because civ 3 is a relatively cartoony game, and the important bits need to be seen clearly.

i did find an image of a polish helm with wings on it, as well a one or two images of helmets with wings on them from other races/kingdoms.

i will use this unit until a more suitable polish pikeman unit is found

lastly, thank you all very very much :)

~Q

ah, okay! thanks for that info!
so waht would a polish halberdier/pikeman look like?

I'm not an expert on the Poles, I'm afraid. Probably he'd look like any other pikeman -- which isn't very exciting, I know :)

Here's a website dedicated to Polish Renaissance warfare. I don't have one on Medieval warfare.

However, since this is for Civ3 (right?) it doesn't really matter. Civ3 makes no distinction between the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, so units from either time period would fit the era called Middle Ages in the game.

Top Bottom