A question on credits

need my speed

Rex Omnium Imperarium
Hello. I think I have made a few things others could be interested in; a lot of diplomacy music, a lot of diplomacy text, various Middle-earth civilisations (Mordor, Isengard, Angmar, Rohan, Gondor, Arnor, The Shire, Rhovanion, Rhûn, Khand, Harad, and Umbar, on top of my head), a New Vegas (from Fallout) civilisation, and three 1984 civilisations (Oceania, Eurasia, and Eastasia).

Problem is, some of the flags and buttons, and all of the music, building models, unit models, and leaderheads, rely on pre-existing assets. I use YouTube to acquire various music pieces, which I then edit. I take graphical assets - 3D models for units, buildings, and leaders - from this site, because I can't create 3D models myself. Buttons, flags, and everything else, I usually make myself (not always; I think the flags of Angmar, Isengard, Mordor, and Gondor come from this excellent Middle-earth mod). For my recent 1984 civilisations, I even tried my hand at editing this Big Brother leaderhead, so as to create three unique ones.

But I wonder, would it be ethical / allowed to upload all this, then? I won't remember the specific person whose building model I'm using or such, so I can't really give credit beyond 'this model wasn't made by me'. On the other hand, I think people could be interested in some of this. Not only in the things I made myself (most, admittedly, but not all, and that's the problem), but also in the overall creativity, if that makes sense? Say, city name lists (creating a proper list - more than 30 cities - for Middle-earth civilisations easily took more than an hour for a lot of civilisations, and while thinking up city names for 1984 was a lot of fun, trying to find out which gulags were the most notable / most inhabited / most famous / earliest - for Eurasia's city list - was a chore), diplomacy text, the rationale behind what I did with Rhûn, Khand, or Harad, and so on. Then again, I'm big on immersion; there's a reason I write Civilopedia articles for everything I add, even though nobody including myself would ever read it. :p

But hey, it's not like I'll upload everything the moment I'm told it's okay. It's just a question that popped up in my mind, and I thought to ask for future purposes.

There used to be a thing around somewhere called the modiquette (modding etiquette) for the site.

The general rule was (if I remember correctly) was basically to not 'actively' take credit for something you didn't do.
(So saying "I made this all by myself and I am amazing" when you didn't)
If someone comes asking for credit for work you used, add their credit and generally try to be as supportive and open with other peoples stuff as possible.

Generally be open, polite and don't be a glory hog with other peoples stuff.
(Which weirdly seems to happen a lot in some places..not really seen it here though.)

That would be how I'd approach it, except that, in my experience, a lot of sites have a policy of 'either you made everything of this, or you made nothing - if you've only made parts of it, you aren't allowed to upload the sum of the parts, so to say'. So I thought I'd ask. But alright then, thank you. :)

I presume some of the things you are using are purely modder resources. This website states that pretty much as soon as a file is posted it is free for anyone to use for whatever. So as long as you aren't just reuploading stuff, i.e. just reposting the SAME mod with no to minimal changes made, its fine. Just credit who you can.

Top Bottom