A question to moderators, and anyone who wants to comment...

TRN2

Chieftain
What is the story with posting 1/2 a mod on the ModComponents thread, like for example...
If I made a mod that included all the required stuff that one could possibly ask for a morale rating, but didn't actually implement it, simply because there is so many ways it could be implemented, would this be postable on the modcomponents thread?
if not, and I included say 7 or 8 examples of how it could be used, would this be acceptable?
The reason I am asking is because a lot of the mods I am working on so far, seem to have endless possibilities involved, take for example the Factions mod that I have started.
This could be used simply to give diplomacy based buffs/debuffs to the civilizations, it could also be used for victory conditions, it could also be used as a custom set of teams that operate above the level of normal teams and are selected by the scenario creator rather than the player and can be used in conjuction with the regular teams selectable in the custom game menu, and quite a few other possibilities.
I have done the base to the point of entering the labyrinth of possibilities imo, and find I am now considering which way to go with that particular mod, since the person I put it together for can't use it on their Mac, because there are no DLLs on Mac (or so I am told).
Now I have a started mod, that effectivly does nothing, but has the potential of being quite usefull to other people.
It would be nice to be able to post it, and describe exactly what it does (like nothing), and have a thread for it where I can ask questions, and get help and suggestions in the rest of the project.
I am uncertain of the standpoint of the community at large in posting on the ModComponents thread when the product doesn't actually do anything yet, and just wanted to stimulate a bit of conversation on the topic.
This atleast will give me some idea of when I should actually consider releasing what I have done in the short week I have been here so far...

TRN2

What is the story with posting 1/2 a mod on the ModComponents thread, like for example...
If I made a mod that included all the required stuff that one could possibly ask for a morale rating, but didn't actually implement it, simply because there is so many ways it could be implemented, would this be postable on the modcomponents thread?
if not, and I included say 7 or 8 examples of how it could be used, would this be acceptable?
The reason I am asking is because a lot of the mods I am working on so far, seem to have endless possibilities involved, take for example the Factions mod that I have started.
This could be used simply to give diplomacy based buffs/debuffs to the civilizations, it could also be used for victory conditions, it could also be used as a custom set of teams that operate above the level of normal teams and are selected by the scenario creator rather than the player and can be used in conjuction with the regular teams selectable in the custom game menu, and quite a few other possibilities.
I have done the base to the point of entering the labyrinth of possibilities imo, and find I am now considering which way to go with that particular mod, since the person I put it together for can't use it on their Mac, because there are no DLLs on Mac (or so I am told).
Now I have a started mod, that effectivly does nothing, but has the potential of being quite usefull to other people.
It would be nice to be able to post it, and describe exactly what it does (like nothing), and have a thread for it where I can ask questions, and get help and suggestions in the rest of the project.
I am uncertain of the standpoint of the community at large in posting on the ModComponents thread when the product doesn't actually do anything yet, and just wanted to stimulate a bit of conversation on the topic.
This atleast will give me some idea of when I should actually consider releasing what I have done in the short week I have been here so far...

TRN2

I'm not a moderator, but I think as long as there is a file download that mods Civ4 in any way, even if it doesn't do anything, you can post it in mod components. What you can't do is not provide a file download or provide one that has nothing to do with Civ4.

I can think of several mod components that don't do anything by themselves, for example Impaler's XML Modular Loading.

Would that not breed a multitude of abandoned mods that were never compleated to a satisfactory point, like if I posted what I've done now, and walked away and never came back, it would be very disapointing to anyone who needed it, saw the thread, and looked only to find this very incompleate mod...

/notes the 272 threads in the modcomponents section and start wondering about the ones at the end of the list...

EDIT: I guess another question that springs to mind, is when do the moderators consider a project to have been abandoned, so that someone else can continue with a good idea...

Would that not breed a multitude of abandoned mods that were never compleated to a satisfactory point, like if I posted what I've done now, and walked away and never came back, it would be very disapointing to anyone who needed it, saw the thread, and looked only to find this very incompleate mod...

/notes the 272 threads in the modcomponents section and start wondering about the ones at the end of the list...

EDIT: I guess another question that springs to mind, is when do the moderators consider a project to have been abandoned, so that someone else can continue with a good idea...

I don't know about moderators. So far, I have had an included license (GPL) or a forum post giving me permission before even starting work. :) But you can also just ask for permission from the maintainer, if you can reach him.

Mod components arne't half a mod. They are tools made to be incorporated into other mods. Some are so expansive they are playable by themselves but that isn't a requirement for being a mod component. (and in fact if its playable on its own those makers could post it in the mod forum if they desired).

Yeap, thats a mod component by definition.

Still yes, thought that would be even cooler.

TRN2

It should definitly be a mod component. Im sure a lot of people would enjoy it.

Top Bottom