1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

a question

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Raven Destroyer, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Raven Destroyer

Raven Destroyer Prince

i couldn't found a FAQ forum for modders or didn't look good enough also possible

now to business. i want start modding, when i have free time (currently a lack). and i wanted to start orienting.

my plan was to make as a start a game with 3 civ's completely special almost nothing between each other maybe some unit's that overlap but then i will have to dive deep in the data something that is my specialty

but my plan of aproach is making one civ at a time all unit's worked out buildings everything and also one tech tree per civ how far can this become reality? because i dislike almost everything standardized while some civilizations did never met eachother

oh like i might have mentioned i never modded something so my first mod will become also my "learning process"

2. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

You should probably start with the Modiki. The first thing to get into would be XML modding. This should enable you to do most of what you're currently planning. Learning to program will be useful if you wanna be able to have stuff happen in-game (Python scripting) or to add your own game concepts - or alter the way the game plays (C++ coding).

The art involved is of course a chapter on its own and I don't even fully understand what is involved here. But you obviously have a lot to learn and to take in. Just take it in strides, start with something simple, and you'll be alright. Don't be afraid to do the homework - most of the time reading up on something will save you double the time invested - with your very next project. So if time is an issue you don't actually have any use of unnecessary head-scratching. (Learning from one's mistakes is very overrated in my opinion. I'll rather learn from other people's mistakes! :D)

3. Raven Destroyer

Raven Destroyer Prince

i'm now making my own "mod" using kael's method now waiting till pspp get's downloaded then i can make my first leader head and yes i will build on this mod but this mod will only be used to learn and to experiment when i get so far to make a 1.0 then i will pack and post but that will take atleast a year as i have also my exam year this year so i don't even have time enough to do my homework XD

4. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Well, you're on you way now - that is what matters. You'll see that you can get some results easier than you think. Just don't let it all overwhelm you.

5. Raven Destroyer

Raven Destroyer Prince

i think when i get started my first thing on my to do list will be asking who can do what and who i need with what XD

i'm not sure if i worked with XML before but that is easy as pie 3d leader heads sounds easy but my first will contain modified anime pic's and what ever i can get my hands on i might even make a mod about gundam wing XD

baldyr you don't mind if i ask you when i need something in python (when i'm done with my first tutorial i will do yours)

last edit (i hope)

i'm alway's an analyst sceptic about every thing and just alway's busy with the what if might be cool to make a mod someday about it (or there is already one)