1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A real leader would have fired the military advisor by now

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Kyroshill, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

So earlier in the game I left Ramesses with only his capital when he gave up all his cities to save it... and it was time to go back and finish the job...

Now of course I can see all of Egypt... I know exactly what units he has, and where they are placed. Just for grins I go to talk to my military advisor... he is silent about the Egyptian military (which always seems to be the case... the next civ I have targeted is frequently lacking in advisories).

So now I decide it's time to finish Wu Zetian and finally be the sole continental power and hegemon of the Western world...

I call in my trusted advisor, and he gives me a line... "I think I saw the only unit China has..." gotcha.... let's roll!!

So I bring in 2 battery of cannon, 2 rifles, 2 knights, 5 longbows, and 5 pikes (money's a little tight so I can't upgrade everything just yet)... shouldn't be a problem... all I've seen so far (no OB, btw) is a knight, a pike and a musket...

So we open up shelling the muskets before polishing them off with a knight rush and withdrawal... upon taking a hillock, my southern longbows discover 3 units of chu-ko-nu... hmmm

On the lady's reply she brings 2 more muskets into range as well as 2 pikes, 2 knights.... and 6 more chu-ko-nu!!

Whoa! Who said anything about lonely units??

So now 1 turn later, I've lost both rifles and a knight... and my 2 southern longbows are at risk to a Chinese knight....

I say now to my military advisor.... "OFF with his HEAD!!"
    :king:

2. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

Did you check much gold Zetty had before you attacked? Did you check whether she was likely to get extra gold from other civs? Did you also check the demographic screen? Were you planning to use more than a single turn to take her out? Did you check your military adviser at the start of the turn (as he doesn't update his views mid-turn)? Purchasing units quickly is a tactic used by human players and AI alike. It's amazing how fast a civ, including your own, can go from inferior to par!

3. CivFart

CivFart Warlord

There are a couple of reasons why I prefer the military way. Look at this:

Lets say you aim for culture win. Then you would have two risks.
    1: An enemy might win culture before you do.
    2: You might get overrun by a militant leader.

Now lets see what happens if you choose the military way of winning. You have only 1 risk.

1: You might get overrun by another militant state.

If another civ threatens culturally win, you simply just capture his city and overrun his wonders, so that risk is out of the way.

The militaristic win is the most likely to give you success as it leaves less dangerous aspects of winning behind.

4. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

Yes I did... she had 45 gold (+/- 3).... she knew no other civs... she stayed landlocked for some reason... though it DOES make my navy worthless in this war

Yep... but all I know for sure is that Arabia leads, Caesar is last (I spanked him way back)... and that out of the 5 civs left, I'm in the middle (Siam ahead of me too... so I know Zettie is smaller)

Yeah... had to... for some reason she built the Great Wall.... who has EVER heard of the Great Wall of China? Ridiculous! :lol:

Yep... even after she committed maximum deletion on my units for the first 3 turns (I gave nearly as good as I got)... I checked again... he tells me "With our numbers we should finish her off quickly"... or whatever he said... :mischief: I think he's a spy

At the end of the day, Shanghai finally fell... my southern longbows made it home after a LOOONG march... and Beijing will soon be under my control...

But it was definitely harder than I expected... :goodjob: Zettie

5. Zydor

Zydor Emperor

I think he's a spy ....... nice one :lmao:

6. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Well, I think military advisor advices depends on how many units he has seen he probably can't see units hidden deep in territory and can't account for purchasing powers.

Wu zetian probably had a fair chunk of units hidden deep in her territory to bide for her time. U should know by now, if there Ai has a fair amount of cities it always mean it has some kind of military, unless its playing a one city challenge lol.

If its powerful, it will assault you really quick if its weaker, its troops tend to be more reserved and wait for you to come and say hi so it can scratch ur face off.

I lost quite a few promoted rocket artillery to a counterstrike from hiawatha gunships. He caught me while i was passing into his lands between mountains.

7. Varanid

Varanid Warlord

I've kind of had to question the advisors sometimes...in the game I just finishes, the foreign advisor kept telling me the French were massing near our borders...when they were confined to a mid sized island with 3 whole cities, and no naval presence, about as far from us as they could be??
    And the war guy kept telling me the Songhai empire was a threat to our existence when it was back in the late Ren. era while I had tanks and mech infantry, most promoted 3-4 times from conquering the Americans and Ottomans (see you punks tag team now with your size 2 city up in the artic, nyah!).

8. stormerne

Yeah - OK I give in - he's a spy. I suggest you replace him with the Civ2 Foreign Adviser. At least we didn't care what she said, as long as she said it. :)

9. swordoflight86

swordoflight86 Warlord

I would love to fire my advisors(the Soviet way) and replace them with more... decorative council members ;).

10. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

yeah, he had no idea what sort of military she had. you should have signed OB first to scout her out, then he would have told you to be careful b/c you guys would have seen all of her military units.

11. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

There are advisors in the game?!?

12. Zydor

Zydor Emperor

No sarcasm alert so I'll risk it :)

Top right of the screen - second from the right - click the Triangle. Somewhat wanting at present - to say the least - but its a nice idea, particularly for those new to the game.

Regards
    Zy

13. stormerne

Hehe @Zydor :). And I think you can config your level of advice on the Options > Game Options screen. Advisor level: New to Civ / New to Civ 5 / Experienced Player / No Advice.

14. Varanid

Varanid Warlord

I just got my face pwnd for listening to my military advisor. I was more advanced than the Aztec but sheer numbers wore me down.
    How the hell did they have that many units with only 3 cities? I killed about a half dozen jaguars, but they had at least 5-6 more on screen, and a couple of horse.

Owchie.

15. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

I still remember how the devs are so proud about those advisors and how they supposedly help new players into the game. Unfortunately most of the advice they give is quite crappy and you're better off doing random things than listening to them

16. stormerne

Well put; sad but true. I wonder... Civilopaedia vs. Advisers... which is worst? Close run thing I'd say.

17. silent93

silent93 Chieftain

Does the Military Advisor, at any point, stop telling you to build more units to defend your cities?

I was playing small-scale, to go for cultural, Babylon, using Great Scientists to stay ahead of the tech race. Each of my 3 cities had a force of 2 Cannon, 2 Rifle, and 2 Cav guarding it, with walls and castles already up. And the lunatic was shrieking about how we were nearly defenseless. They were all at least half-way through their 4th promotion due to beating back previous invasion attempts too.

18. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

Sometimes advisors are quite prescient however. My economic advisor was telling me for centuries that I needed to build a workboat to improve resources. I thought it was some kind of mistake until several thousand years later when I discovered oil and saw a large patch just of shore. A few decades later I had the ability to build offshore platforms and suddenly I had oil. After so many generations of disparaging my poor advisor, boy was my face red.

19. Zydor

Zydor Emperor

In a word no :lol:

Its early days yet, they only just started the concept, and cant really go too much further with it until the game has been finished - the latter is a loooong way off yet.

The concept is ok, it will be useful in certain circumstances - especially new players. But at present it suffers from a lack of time put in to programme it properly. So until they can focus on it, the apparently dumb stuff will result for a while yet.

Regards
    Zy

20. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

I would agree with this, but I really believe they do more harm than good to new players. Did you ever look at their tech tips and the buildings they propose you to build? And even if one makes a useful suggestion, three of them will likely be off. The problem is that these advisors probably make new players think they should follow them rather than try to think for themselves, until they find out that this leads to a ton of useless buildings.

Even worse, the military advisor tells you to build more units while the economic advisor tells you to delete them, so what should a new player do?