A Real Modern Start

The_Godfather

Chieftain
I regard this as my masterpiece. i probably spent at least 20hours of time editing this scenario and probably another 25 testing it. It builds off of the original modern start scenario provided in Conquests, which I thought was pretty stupid.

I did not add any new graphics or pediaicons and such, i just used the ones that are provided with the game. I dont think I left any of the units the same, same with pretty much everything else too. The problem i felt with the regular game was that it was so unrealistic and rather too balanced. After all, the real world we live in isnt!

Feel free to look at it in the editor, but be warned that the Naval Academy (small wonder) is finicky, in that the sometimes the auto unit production is switched around. It is supposed to, Dreadnought Class BB (thats the unit) every 15 turns. The other is the Advanced Turbo-Prop Technology small wonder (whew, what a mouthful), it is suposed to auto produce Frigates (no not the gunpowder ones silly, modern style ones) every 10 turns. I updated parts of the civilopedia that i thought were in need though not all the changes were included.

Here are the major changes:
New Buildings:
Industrial Complex-requires oil, coal, a manudfacturing plant in its city, robotics, -1 culture, 4 pollution, +50% prod, 4 maintenance
Refinery-requires oil, a factory in the city, Refining, -1 culture, 4 pollution, +50% prod, 3 maintenance
Capitol=Palace
Secret Police HQ and Forbidden Palace no changes

All terrain yields have been increased and citizen food consumption is decreased to 1, so cities go nuts (its not unusual to attain 200shields/p/t, but thats ok, you will need it).

Units have had costs adjusted appropriately, you will see why you need lots of prod (and thats why i added 2 new prod multipliers and upped terrain prod).

Advanced units are VERY expensive to build, but are totally worth it if and once you can get them.
For example, here are the original Modern Armour stats: a-24 d-16 m-3 120shields
here are new stats a-40 d-15 m-4 950 shields.

BUT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do NOT look away yet!

those warmongers who are reading this dont look away in disgust

basic units such as Defensive and Assault Infantry require no resources, and are dirt cheap, as are field artillery and basic air and naval units (there is always a basic coal-burning transport that carries one settler at a time for when you get stuck on a horsehockey-ass island). Small ships require few resources and are quite cheap, but if you want big-ass-kicking capital ships, ur gonna want to get iron and possibly uranium too depending on what your gonna build.
Stealth fighters can now intercept(that always bugged me), and there are short and long range stealthies now. Carriers have now been split into super carriers and light carriers (depending on ur needs and resources of course).
I couldnt resist adding dreadnoughts into the scenario for horsehockys (see civilopedia).
ICBM's can now move (you can always move something if you really want to).
Nuke subs capacity increased to 2.
Army capacity increased to 5, with Pentagon wonder 6. Every one also starts with 1 army (so use it wisely).
etc etc on it goes.

i could list the units for people if you want.

I recommend playing with accel prod since it was designed to played that way (consider the costs).

I'll let you have fun with the governments, but be warned, get the heck out of depsotism ASAP.

Make sure you make a new folder called "Modern Start Improved", because that is the folder name the scenario reads when looking for the text etc.
Download to desktop and unzip, whack it into the conquests>scenarios section and ur good to go. Put the text into the folder and leave the map/scenario in the main area.
The map has been left untouched, so you can do w/e you want in those regards.

I highly recommend using the watercolour graphics that were used in the The Cold War 1.6 scenario, they are amazing and are very visually appealing.

Ive also included a saved game for people if you want to do that instead. I think its about 150 turns (thats a guess) in, so the final conflict is nearing. You will play as the illustrious Babylonian Empire in its struggle for world dominance. Beware of the Ottomans! (oh, and if you can spot where Rhodes is then that was where i had a colony that took 3 cities with it before the Ottomans owned it:( )

PS: dont build railroads with only one worker, they take much longer than that.

Hail <name>, leader if the <trait>, <trait>, and <trait> <civ name>.
It is 1946 AD, your people have wandered many miles over the last few thousand years, though technology has advanced to a suprising point, maybe its time that your tribe settled down for awhile. <name>, your people have vested absolute power in YOU, trusting that you can build a civilization to stand the Test of Time!

Attachments

• Modern Start Improved v1.0.zip
    29.7 KB · Views: 664
  • Text.zip
    198.4 KB · Views: 467
oh dam the save is too big, oh well... maybe ill play another one and post it when its smaller.

there is no custom scenario map, but i could take a couple from one of my games if you want.

Notice I just joined. I am the newest here I guess. I will take a few shots of the nice fleet.

Top Bottom