1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Request for Shadow Game

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by WhatMeNo, Aug 4, 2013.

1. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Not sure why you are teching Myst right now.

Let's stick to basic good stuff for now. I like Wheel>Pot>Writing next.

when building worker, work the 2 improve clams and any 2F2C coastal or lake tile. (working the forest GH or 3F cow tile is slightly more hammers but it will still take 3 turns before you can 1pop whip the settler. Might as well get the commerce boost right now)

Just little micro things

2. WhatMeNo

WhatMeNo Chieftain

What's the HUD you're using? I like it a lot.

3. WhatMeNo

WhatMeNo Chieftain

I could only pop with 3 turns remaining. Nevertheless, here is my next save.

Attached Files:

4. lymond

ah yes...that's my fault. forgot about the 4H OF very last build. No problem though..the extra commerce is still good for those turns.

Move the worker to the forest 2S of Cahokie. Reasons is that this is a riverside GH (grass hill) which you can then mine and also get the commerce as well.

You have 14H overflow (OF) from the worker whip. Start the 3rd workboat now. With the chop in 3 turns this will give more than enough hammers to complete the wb.

Start and finish warrior while you mine that hill. Should allow you to grow to size 4 and start your first settler with 3 clams and a mine.

Move worker 1N and chop that forest into settler. New warrior moves to jungle GH 1E of corn to the west. (you will settle on that hill)

Worker next moves to GH 1W of Cahokia and chops that forest into a worker, then heads to new city to farm corn.

Pot>AH>Writing

5. WhatMeNo

WhatMeNo Chieftain

Wouldn't I want to wait until Math to chop? And also, wouldn't I want to build 1W of the corn so as to have less overlap with Cahokia?

6. Patchface

Patchface Warlord

BUG mod, BTS Unaltered Gameplay. I highly recommend.

7. lymond

most of us use it. Install it in Custom Assets (single player mode) and BULL too. Blue Marble too, if you want improved graphics.

8. lymond

No, not at all. Like settling on the elie, it's about getting moar stuff moar earlier. It's fine to save some forest for Maths, especially if you intend for some early warfare, but you definitely want to chop some forest early to get settlers and workers out faster.

Absolutely not. One of the first misconceptions newbsters have is that overlap is a bad thing. That is false. Overlap can be quite advantageous early when cities are naturally smaller. Shared resources. helper cities. reduced distance maintenance costs.

So basically scratch the idea that "overlap is bad"

City 2 will be able to use the cows without a border pop while Cahokie is running scientists.

9. lymond

and if you don't chop those forests, you don't get any mines

10. WhatMeNo

WhatMeNo Chieftain

Okay, the forest chop ensured that Cahokia stayed size 3, but overall, I'm still pretty far ahead. Here is the world one turn before the settler spawns.
    Spoiler :

From here, I thought that the best course of action would be to spam DS and take over Brennus. Is this a good idea?

Attached Files:

11. lymond

Actually, Dogs are not really great rush units. Although if you beat get them out before AI gets to Archery on this level they will eat Warriors for breakfast. (Dogs are highly valued on higher levels for defense, especially since they are resourceless)

Chariots would be a better way to go. Speaking of which, now that horses are revealed it's probably better to settle next to them.

You can settle 1W of Horses and chop 5 or 6 out quickly in both cities and nab Bibracte.

I don't often like to focus on rushes in the first shadow game as I like you to focus on expansion and economy. But given all the jungle and awkward city placement close by, this is really the best play on this level. Get rid of Celts should open up some better options for you.

City next to horses can share the clams early to grow as well. (The rice will get grabbed by Celts anyway in a few turns so you would not be able to use it anyway for some time, but if you take Bibracte it is all yours).

Start your warrior in the SE back to that spot to cover settler and MP.

Worker chops forest (for new worker). A new warrior should finish in 1 to 2 turns (and you grow on mine), then start worker.

Worker 1 mines hill and then moves to horses. Worker 2 start choppin forests for chariots. After horses done worker 2 starts choppin forests for chariots in that city as well which will grow from clams to work horses.

Get 6 chariots and take Bibracte from the NW of that city. Bibracte will likely have 2nd border pop so you want to find the angle that lets you move in turn 1 and attack Turn 2.

12. WhatMeNo

WhatMeNo Chieftain

Like 1SW of horse where Patchface settled?

13. WhatMeNo

WhatMeNo Chieftain

The invasion went well. I captured a worker the first turn and so more chopping power (yay!).
    Pre-invasion:
    Spoiler :

The Celts didn't put up much of a fight. I lost only two chariots.
    Spoiler :

The Celts have Vienna, but it's obviously located to the east. I am beelining Archery so I can build Horse Archers, is this a good move? Additionally, I am confused as to what I should build next in my cities. The only other nation whose territory I have adequately mapped out is the Mali, whom I feel are too far away for an invasion due to maintenance. Any idea as to the type of victory I should pursue?

Save attached, as always.

Attached Files:

14. lymond

You might run over quickly and take Vienne just EAst. If it is not a good city then just raze it, i.e., no food. Might get another worker too.

Did you ever work the clam in Poverty Point?

Scouting is important but you really need to get in that habit of setting up warriors for spawnbusting around your immediate area. That warrior should have come back like I said. There's reasons I go through the trouble of telling you these things. There's time to do more extensive scouting later. Or best yet, with a coastal start, get out an extra WB and just click on auto-explore (it opens up sea trade routes as well)

Let's not do the Horse Archer thing. You can if you want but I'd rather focus on expansion and economy. for now.

You can use your chariots for MP and spawnbusting. (Now you could have sent one out to scout if you wanted)

Hunting is fine since you get a happy, but time to get back into settler/worker mode. Pick up up Myst next for border pops since you will need those.

Grow Cahokia to 5, might as well finish that chariot with the Archer there (don't attack it on defensiver terrain by the way - almost guaranteed loss with a chariot) and then start your next settler.

At size 5 in Cahokie, let PP take one of the clams and work that and the horse to chop out a worker. Chop out the Totem when Myst arrives as well. Eventually PP will get the wet rice and might just make a nice little cottage city.

After next settler in Cahokia for corn to the west, it can focus on getting a library and that first GS. PP can take on the brunt of worker/settler production for time being. Same for the new city.

15. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Making the usual mistake..Noble diff. picked cos you think okay i'm new and will need some help, but nothing holds you guys back from rushing with cheap chariots that you had to do nothing for, and already win here.

Why? There's much land around and you can get it easily on Noble, and you could learn some diplo instead. Sorry but it's just pointless.

16. paulcarri

paulcarri Prince

I can see why people start on noble though, they expect it to be much harder, i do think monarch is good for a first shadow game as the player is getting help.

17. WhatMeNo

WhatMeNo Chieftain

Okay, Vienna doesn't look like it has much food, I think I'll just raze it.
    Spoiler :

As always, here is a save.

Attached Files:

18. lymond

ha...did you try attacking that archer. Let him attack you or wait for him to get on open ground, although they often move to defensive terrain. Note that rivers provide a defensive bonus even to mounted units or attack malus if crossing it on attack.

Start a granary in PP. You are about to get a free worker anyway.

One of your workers should start roading from Cahokie to the new city spot (tile next to it). Have the road in place before settler settles and you will get insta-trade route. Always a good thing to consider, although you may not always have the luxury.

That archer will disappear next turn anyway after you take Vienna, although you could attack it first with that chariot for the experience.

Send one chariot NW to spawnbust for new city and take care of that warrior.

Send another chariot scouting to the W/SW.

Capture worker can move to Bibracte to chop out Monument and Granary. Bibracte will be great for worker/settler production.

19. WhatMeNo

WhatMeNo Chieftain

What would you suggest I build in PP after Granary? Workers/Settlers or Totem Pole? Something else?

20. lymond

Granary until Myst. Start Totem Pole. 1 pop whip next turn. Back to Granary. We can address settlers as we identify more spots to settle.