1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Resources Idea

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by balthamael, Jan 30, 2006.

1. balthamael

balthamael Warlord

I often sell surplus resources to Rivals, im sure we all do.
    But i thought, This is slightly wierd, In real Life spices and Silk were worth massive amounts, whereas corn was worth relativily little, so i thought of this:
    I think there should be some resources that would be classed as "Rare" ( nothing strategic, just bananas, corn, silk etc) and would give a slight Commerce boost as well as thier normal effect, and should be worth more when sold to AI.
    well, just my idea, please comment.

2. sligo

sligo Warlord

Interesting perspective. The value of a resource is based upon definable economic factors: Supply & demand.

In game terms, strategic resources (copper, iron, coal, oil & uranium) are worth more because you need them to build military units. If I can trade a food or luxury resource for a strategic resource, I'll do it every time.

Something the game doesn't let you do, at least not outright, is trade for resources you don't actually need. It would be interesting if you could buy up all the oil resources available in the game simply to keep some of your competitors from gaining access to it thru trade themselves. Sure, I don't need 8 oils, but if it keeps my rival from getting any, it's worth every coin I'm paying to get it.

3. RED DIAMOND

RED DIAMOND Prince

Interesting that you mention this. Master Lexx did a nice resource mod that adds 9 new resources. The thing I learned while intergrating it into my game was that you have ALOT of control over how resources are valued and used in the game. So I theory the rare resource thing is just an XML edit away;)

4. Trade-peror

Trade-peror UET Economist

RED DIAMOND, where can I download Master Lexx's mod? :D

Supply and demand for resources could be interesting if even more explicit in the game. I recall a fairly recent thread that talked about a world commodities market, which would be essentially where this is going.

5. RED DIAMOND

RED DIAMOND Prince

Hmm, Completed Mods:p

6. Master Lexx

Master Lexx Warlord

7. Lordclane

Lordclane Chieftain

I like it too, and commented on it, recalling the old Risk-like game, Supremacy, that added a supply & demand based commodities market.