[GS] A Rework of the Military.

Duke William of Normandy

King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee
Armies in Civilization 6 aren't as lame to me as Religion. But they could still use improvements.

1. Campaigns and Formations

For example, Campaigns would be like the Brusilov Offensive or the Gallic Wars. Players could plan out offensives to quickly sweep up enemy cities and units. However, A.I. can do this too, so they can quickly work out a defensive perimeter and dam up your flood. Formations would be for certain units and unlocked through promotions and techs. A warrior unit with no promotion wouldn't be very effective, considering that they are just charging without any semblance of discipline. However, if you pick up, say, the Tortoise promotion, you can make a formation that is great for defense, but pretty weak for offensive action.

This was taken from a comment I made on Youtube. Now for specifics. To start a campaign, you would need to set up Units along your Borders with other Civilizations. Of course, the A.I. will start to notice this, and become wary of you. They might set up a defensive lie to receive your advance or try to convince you via trade to back off.

2. Morale and Discipline
Every strategy game should make Military Units have Morale and Discipline.
Discipline would be increased by a nearby Great General, researched Civics and Tech, and where the unit was trained. For example, a Swordsman built in a City with an Encampment will be more disciplined than a Swordsman built in a City with no Encampment. Low Discipline would lower the Unit's base Combat Strength and Morale.

Morale would also affect a Unit's Combat Strength, as well as Movement Points and willingness to accept orders. A Unit with low Morale might start to refuse orders to attack or move. They might even mutiny and you would have to either kill the Unit or bribe them into being loyal again.

3. Retirement
Basically, after you have had a Unit for a long time, the Unit might ask to be disbanded and not serve again. For example, if you have has a Crossbowman for 50 Turns, they will start to grow tired of War and want to retire. You don't lose everything, though. If you have retired a very elite Unit, and then later you build the same type of Unit, you might be able to get an advisor or leader from one of the retired elite units to help with the Unit's Combat efficiency. For example, if you have an advisor, the Unit gains either a free Promotion or extra Experience from Battles.

What is your opinion, dear viewer? Type a comment and express your own ideas.

I really like a lot of these ideas. I in fact came up with a very complex morale system (A while ago), based of heroic deeds and cowardice. I called it Heroes, Cowards, and Traitors. In it units had a chance (based of things) of acting heroically or cowardly. This was based on moral -100 to 100 which would be 15 when the unit was created. The higher the morale the higher the chance. Morale could be changed by a few things. If a unit lost a battle it would loose 5-20 morale based on how bad the lose was. If a unit won a battle it would gain 5-20 morale. Great Generals would give +5 moral to all those in their range. Heroes (a different type but would work with current ones as well) would provide +7 morale. Units fighting a stronger unit would suffer a -30 morale during that battle. If they won however they'd get a +20 morale. Warriors and barbs are an exception to this rule they gain +30 morale when fighting stronger units. At 0 morale a unit has no chance of cowardice or heroism. Negative morale gives cowardice chance and traitor chance whereas positive morale gives heroic chance. If a unit commits cowardice it causes -10 loyalty in all friendly nearby cities and -10 morale for all friendly nearby units, the unit also suffers -15 CS and takes +10 damage. If a unit commits heroics it causes the opposite affects. If a unit commits treachery ,it causes -10 loyalty in all friendly nearby cities and -10 morale for all friendly nearby units and the unit switches sides. I think our morale ideas could be combined for some amazing gameplay.

I love your ideas on discipline. I didn't think of that.

Your ideas on campaigns and formations are cool as well and i'd love to see both these implemented.

I however find the retirement odd. I've always thought of civ units like those in real life, the members change, the unit doesn't.

I really like a lot of these ideas. I in fact came up with a very complex morale system (A while ago), based of heroic deeds and cowardice. I called it Heroes, Cowards, and Traitors. In it units had a chance (based of things) of acting heroically or cowardly. This was based on moral -100 to 100 which would be 15 when the unit was created. The higher the morale the higher the chance. Morale could be changed by a few things. If a unit lost a battle it would loose 5-20 morale based on how bad the lose was. If a unit won a battle it would gain 5-20 morale. Great Generals would give +5 moral to all those in their range. Heroes (a different type but would work with current ones as well) would provide +7 morale. Units fighting a stronger unit would suffer a -30 morale during that battle. If they won however they'd get a +20 morale. Warriors and barbs are an exception to this rule they gain +30 morale when fighting stronger units. At 0 morale a unit has no chance of cowardice or heroism. Negative morale gives cowardice chance and traitor chance whereas positive morale gives heroic chance. If a unit commits cowardice it causes -10 loyalty in all friendly nearby cities and -10 morale for all friendly nearby units, the unit also suffers -15 CS and takes +10 damage. If a unit commits heroics it causes the opposite affects. If a unit commits treachery ,it causes -10 loyalty in all friendly nearby cities and -10 morale for all friendly nearby units and the unit switches sides. I think our morale ideas could be combined for some amazing gameplay.

I love your ideas on discipline. I didn't think of that.

Your ideas on campaigns and formations are cool as well and i'd love to see both these implemented.

I however find the retirement odd. I've always thought of civ units like those in real life, the members change, the unit doesn't.
I love your morale system. :thumbsup: And yeah, you're right. The retirement system is a bit odd. Maybe it should happen if you are at war for too long. like the Units are just tired of war and want to back home to their families.

Top Bottom