A silly little idea

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Bluto_Longneck, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Bluto_Longneck

Bluto_Longneck Chieftain

There are 3 landtiles that are pretty useless, desert, ice and peaks.

Peaks are always useless.
    Desert can have resources, but is otherwise junktiles.
    Ice by a river can have a watermill and sometimes ice have a resource.

So I thought if we have a city next to a desert tile, but proper irrigation next to it, there should be a small % every turn to change the desert to a plain. And ice could turn into tundra by the same example.

I don't want healthy tiles to change, just the useless ones.

We have global warming in the later game that take away tiles for us already, so why not have the same system to give us a tile here and there in the earlier game, just by chance.

Mountain peaks, I don't know what to do with them. If I could just blow them up and change them to a simple deserthill, I would be happy. :)

I really hate those tiles and in my last game, there wasn't one single city without losing out at least one tile, most cities more.

Terraforming is not what I ask for, just a little fairness to crappy maps, contra global warming, which will make those crappy tiles multiply.

2. sabo

sabo My Ancestors were Vikings

Peaks aren't totally useless, you can use them to block an invading AI

3. PibbZ

PibbZ Paladin

Peaks provide natural indestructible defenses, which is why i prefer the "Rocky" climate. :)

Other than that, i think its a good idea. Either that, or give the engineers the ability to terraform once again (possibly after the discovery of Biology).

4. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

desert irrigation:

may become available with electricity

5. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Deserts are in the game for a reason. You're not meant to be able to use them. They're meant to be useless. I don't really see a case for changing that, so much as a case for making plains more prevalent than deserts, in comparison to currently.

6. ElMikkino

ElMikkino Warlord

In CivRev, once you build an iron mine, cities almost surrounded by mountains are suddenly production powerhouses! (Iron Mine makes mountains give +4 production instead of +1.). I doubt they will implement that in regular Civ, however, since you can build Iron Mines by building a mine on top of iron! :rolleyes:

7. shulec

shulec Grrrrr... I AM the force! Hall of Fame Staff

Ask in the mod forum. I bet you can add that feature in. Or you could go back to Civ II. I don't remember exactly, but I remember the "engineers" could "scrub" the land to improve them to grasslands. (Ahh... the good old days!)