A Simple Question Regarding Future Support For Switch Version

AtlantisAuthor

Chieftain
It's been awhile since I posted here, but I've checked in to see what folks are posting from time to time. A concern that I had from the start with the Switch version has already been realized: community activity here has greatly diminished since launch. While online forums have their ebbs and flows, I've been a part of enough of them to know that having new information or other communication from publishers is crucial to maintaining a healthy, active community and a positive atmosphere. By contrast, a dearth of it can cause a forum like this to dry up and die quickly.

Right now Firaxis/2K is busy providing weekly teasers and faction gameplay segments for the upcoming Gathering Storm expansion for the PC/Steam version of Civilization VI. The effect on the forums for the PC version speak for themselves; they've exploded in recent weeks. It's a huge deal for the game and I realize why right now it's a priority for Firaxis, but their complete silence since launch regarding the Switch version has, in my humble opinion, taken much-needed wind quickly out of the sails of the fledgling console iteration. Like most major publishers they're mum concerning details on any projects until they feel ready to share them, which is to be expected, so it would likely be pointless to ask them whether there will be any specific expansions, DLC, additional features, or even patches or updates at this point (and for what it's worth people have been asking, to no avail).

That said, is it too much to ask simply whether they will continue to support the Switch version of Civ VI, or if what's there is all there's going to be? I don't think so. It's a simple "Yes" or "No" question, and it's open-ended enough on the "Yes" side to provide, if nothing else, enough hope for Switch version owners to speculate over and keep threads like this one alive while allowing the publisher to keep the specifics of their plans close to the vest. And at the worst, a "No" would carry the same result as we're already seeing here, but at least Switch version users would know one way or the other.

So that's my question: Does Firaxis/2K intend to continue supporting the Switch version of Civilization VI in any way, shape, or form, yes or no? I (and I'm sure many others) would greatly appreciate a response.

Forum usage is going to be vastly more in the PC camp since you access forums via PC and there is more to discuss -- expansions and mods. There just isn't a lot to discuss for Switch users or much motivation to sign up for a forum. I cannot really blame the company for not focusing more on the Switch version's expansions immediately considering the upcoming PC expansion. Civ appears to be a decent seller on the eshop and that's a good sign.

I really, really hope expansions are in our future though and I would love to hear confirmation. I don't have a gaming PC nor a lifestyle that makes PC gaming a good option.

I’m fairly confident that Aspyr does all ports (mac, iOS, switch). So my thinking is that 2K/Firaxis doesn’t want to confirm anything that they aren’t sure if aspyr can do. I’d be pretty confident aspyr is attempting to port RAF as we speak but who knows something could go wrong. I just don’t think they want to promise something they aren’t sure if they can deliver.

We all want RF and GS on Switch. I’m actually not going to buy it for my Mac and wait for the Switch version. If they end up not supporting the Switch version, I’m affraid I will never play GS.

I sincerely hope they port everything over as well. It's been hard to go back to vanilla, but Civ VI on my Switch has gotten 100% of my playtime since I got it for Christmas while my PC copy has gotten 0. With a toddler and working full-time, I feel like I can actually maintain some semblance of a regular gaming habit having it on the Switch while without it I can play, what, maybe 1 or 2x every 2 weeks? Glad to hear Aspyr is working on R&F, but until then I've been finding the Switch to be the perfect environment to really explore the scenarios on - something I've always rather neglected since Civ II.

I’ve been trying to reach out to Aspyr media and Civ 6 on twitter with no response. I thought if I came to the forums then maybe I’ll find an answer but it doesn’t seem to be that way. I’m assuming with their newest DLC gathering storm coming to the PC version of this game very soon is the reason for the silence. I’m just hoping once the DLC drops then maybe they’ll break their silence and maybe talk about some switch love.

Top Bottom