A single city cultural victory under the SID difficulty

Turn 77, 1075 BC
Learning education from the Great Library render the Great Library obsolete. Research music theory to build the JS Bach's Cathedral to earn more cultural points.

Attachments

• 077-1075bc-music.jpg
    077-1075bc-music.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 50
The save file of the 86th turn.

Turn 86, 850 BC
Begin to build the JS Bach.
A more strong alliance against China.
China lost their city Hangchow to Mongol.
Top 5 cities. Beijing is in food shortage, which means they are in disadvantage in the war.

Attachments

• Alexander of the Greeks, 850 BC.SAV
    231.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 086-850bc-1-jsbach.jpg
    086-850bc-1-jsbach.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 80
  • 086-850bc-2-alliance.jpg
    086-850bc-2-alliance.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 086-850bc-4-top5.jpg
    086-850bc-4-top5.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 086-850bc-3-mongol-take-hangchow.jpg
    086-850bc-3-mongol-take-hangchow.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 82
Turn 88, 800 BC
The capital of China moved from Beijin to Chengdu. China must had lost Beijing to their enemy.
The ranking of Athen arise to first one again.
Next we research towardz Free Artistry for the Shakspeare's Theater.

Attachments

• 088-800bc-1-china-change-capital.jpg
    088-800bc-1-china-change-capital.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 088-800bc-2-top5.jpg
    088-800bc-2-top5.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 088-800bc-3-art.jpg
    088-800bc-3-art.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 58
The save file of the 99th turn.

Turn 99, 570 BC
China is eliminated by Mongol.
Mongol is too strong. To balance the world, we make alliance against them.

Attachments

• Alexander of the Greeks, 570 BC.SAV
    251.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 099-570bc-2-alliance.jpg
    099-570bc-2-alliance.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 099-570bc-1-mongol-eliminate-china-too-strong.jpg
    099-570bc-1-mongol-eliminate-china-too-strong.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 53
The save file of the last turn.

Turn 333, 1715 AD
Over two hundred turn passed, the cultural points accumulated in our capital give us a cultural victory. The remaining strongest opponent is the US. The number of Wonders in Washington is even larger than that in Athen. But the cultural points accumulated in the ancient times is the crucial fact of our victory.

Attachments

• 333-1715ad-1-victory.jpg
    333-1715ad-1-victory.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 333-1715ad-2.jpg
    333-1715ad-2.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 333-1715ad-3-top5-america-strong.jpg
    333-1715ad-3-top5-america-strong.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 73
  • 333-1715ad-4-culture-score.jpg
    333-1715ad-4-culture-score.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 333-1715ad-5-power.jpg
    333-1715ad-5-power.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 333-1715ad-6.jpg
    333-1715ad-6.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Alexander of the Greeks, 1710 AD.SAV
    490.2 KB · Views: 21
Splendid play, and your walk through is very educational and easy to understand. You make things seem easy. :)

Very nice game! :goodjob:
A few questions:
  • The AI never attacked you. Did you have to pay them a lot to keep them polite?
  • I noticed you played with "accelerated production". Do you think that on Sid level this makes the AI even stronger (after all they now need only 20% of everything...!) or does it favor the human player, because the AI has so much "overrun" that a lot of the production goes waste anyway, while the human can avoid it with better MM?
  • The Americans had over 170.000 culture in the end. So in a "normal" game they would have won an 80K before you would have been able to reach 20K. Do you think a 20K in a game like this is possible with all victory conditions enabled? Did you disable any other VC except the 80K (100K) victory?

Edit: Ah, I see: only Conquest and Cultural victory were enabled in your game. But then I don't understand: "Cultural" means both, 20K and 100K, doesn't it? So why did the Americans not win via 100K before you won by 20K??? :confused:

Edit: Ah, I see: only Conquest and Cultural victory were enabled in your game. But then I don't understand: "Cultural" means both, 20K and 100K, doesn't it? So why did the Americans not win via 100K before you won by 20K??? :confused:

You only win by 100K, if you have more than twice the culture of No. 2 in culture.

Bartleby, Calis: yep, didn't think of that...

So in such a game it's important to keep at least two oponents alive...
If woodandearth had accidentally killed the Zulus, he would have instantly lost... :D

Yes, I pay a lot to my neighbour to keep the peace. The attitudes of the neighbours are most important. We need not to consider the attitude of the AI's far from us. If the AI's far away declare war on us, just make a military alliance to them with our friendly neighbour (in this game, the strongest America). Doing this even make our neighbour more gracious to us.
The AI never attacked you. Did you have to pay them a lot to keep them polite?

I think the accelerating production mode makes the game easier on Sid level. In normal mode, though I can firstly research Philosophy, I can hardly complete the Mausoleum before the AI's. This makes my Golden Age come late and, except the Great Library, I can not build any one more other ancient Great Wonder. Hence the final cultural points in my capital will decrease a great mount.
By the way, what is the abbreviation for "MM"? English is not my native language. I do not know many abbreviated usage in English forums.
I noticed you played with "accelerated production". Do you think that on Sid level this makes the AI even stronger (after all they now need only 20% of everything...!) or does it favor the human player, because the AI has so much "overrun" that a lot of the production goes waste anyway, while the human can avoid it with better MM?

I will lost if I allow all victory conditions enabled. Because the AI's will definitely have lauched the spaceship before I reach the cultural victory condition.
The Americans had over 170.000 culture in the end. So in a "normal" game they would have won an 80K before you would have been able to reach 20K. Do you think a 20K in a game like this is possible with all victory conditions enabled? Did you disable any other VC except the 80K (100K) victory?

MM = micro-management.
So I guess it is true: the AI loses a lot of its shields due to "overrun", so accelerated production is a bonus for the human player, because with "MM" we usually avoid overrun and can take full advantage of the accelerated production...

I find it interesting that you played on continents. If I were trying OCC 20k on Sid, I'd play archipelago with few opponents, to try to keep the tech pace slow and choke the AI with unit support. (This is how I managed my 20k Sid HOF win.)

Frankly, for OCC I'd look for an island small enough that I could put a unit on each tile with coastal access, but I'm nervous about wars.

Wow! That is quite the game! :goodjob:

Gutsy call for certain to open with The Colossus. I guess that's possible on a small map, I'm rather surprised that you managed to go that long without a warrior (and still complete trades with the AI!).

There is another one city cultural victory game I played on PANGAEA using Korea. In that game I wrote more details in the process. Though it is post in Chinese, you can still get much information from the snapshot pictures of the game:
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1864990145

BTW, what is the meaning of "OCC" and "HOF"? I am from non-English-speaking country so I do not know much of the abbreviated usage in the Cilvilization game. Are there some links summarizing these abbreviations?

I find it interesting that you played on continents. If I were trying OCC 20k on Sid, I'd play archipelago with few opponents, to try to keep the tech pace slow and choke the AI with unit support. (This is how I managed my 20k Sid HOF win.)

Frankly, for OCC I'd look for an island small enough that I could put a unit on each tile with coastal access, but I'm nervous about wars.

The success of building The Colossus has nothing to do with the size of the map. There are two main factors to do this in SID difficulty:
1. No AI's has Bronze Working at the beginning;
2. Choose a good map (A. beside a river; B. at least 2 cattles nearby for rapid population growth; C. abundant shield production).

I choose the least AI aggression. Usually, the AI's will not declare war in the first 20 turn since there are still much virgin space for their expansion.

Wow! That is quite the game! :goodjob:

Gutsy call for certain to open with The Colossus. I guess that's possible on a small map, I'm rather surprised that you managed to go that long without a warrior (and still complete trades with the AI!).

BTW, what is the meaning of "OCC" and "HOF"? I am from non-English-speaking country so I do not know much of the abbreviated usage in the Cilvilization game. Are there some links summarizing these abbreviations?

There is a list of them here. Unfortunately it isn't complete, but it has a good number of them (including OCC and HOF). Some of them also apply only to Civ4, but many also apply to Civ3.

Top Bottom