A small mod for Perfectionist Builders...

weregamer

Gandhi of the Mongols
Re-addicted to Civ4 by Warlords, I'm thinking of putting together a small XML-only gameplay mod which makes the stock game a trifle more fun for Perfectionists like me.

Really, the big deal is to make irrigation spread more easily. (Since when doesn't a plantation or pasture carry irrigation? Why can't you irrigate the desert to eke out a little food from it?) both because the current limits seem a little silly and because having so many useless squares (deserts and un-irrigatable plains) in the world makes it so hard to achieve even one "perfect" city on most random maps.

The net effect to gameplay would be to make all civs a little richer; it might change the balance a little on militarist vs peaceful AIs but I'm not convinced it would given that the former would still plan to attack before the latter were too far ahead, and that you really want a balance of farms and cottages on plains anyway.

Basic ideas:

* Farms/Irrigation allowed on deserts, adding the usual amounts to the 0F base.
* All tundra irrigable, not just riverside tundra
* Oasis does not cost 2 to enter (what a silly idea anyway) and you can build a city on an Oasis (If it's big enough to irrigate from, it's big enough to build on!). If I can make it work, you should be able to farm or mine an oasis too.
* Pastures and Plantations carry irrigation.

Additional items;
* Desert ("salt") Mines (+1P) allowed too. (Mostly for symmetry and in memory of Civ2, but also it makes fine-tuning to avoid overgrowth/starvation cycles a bit easier.)

Possible wacky ideas:
* Sufficiently high tech should allow turning Ice into Tundra. Fusion would do it, but that's so late in the game. Maybe Combustion?

Feedback requested:

How many people would be interested in something on these lines? Would you want just the irrigation stuff or the other stuff too? Do you have other ideas for perfectionism that are doable with just an XML mod?

Top Bottom