A snapshot of the real American economy...

Bozo Erectus

Master Baker
...and whats wrong with it. Two news stories on the same day:

Manhattan's Wages Lead The Country

The city's financial sector is lifting the average weekly wages of Manhattan residents, who earned more during the first quarter of 2007 than residents of any large county in America.

New figures from the U.S. Department of Labor show Manhattan residents earned $2,821 a week on average, nearly $1,000 more than the second highest earning region, Fairfield County, Conn. It is an increase of 16.7% from the same time last year.

"These are the highest we've seen in Manhattan," the regional commissioner for the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in New York, Michael Dolfman, said. "We are no. 1."
http://www.nysun.com/article/66766

Supplies fall short at soup kitchens causing lean times this Thanksgiving

The number of New Yorkers who rely on emergency food sources grew by 24% in the past three years, to nearly 1.3 million, says the study. Meanwhile, the supply of free food dwindled.

The city's primary provider to 1,000 emergency food pantries and kitchens, the Food Bank's shelves at its 2-acre warehouse are less than half full.

"At this point, we're sort of holding back the waters," said the Food Bank's Áine Duggan.
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...supplies_fall_short_at_soup_kitchens_cau.html

What has the population increase been in the area?

Here is a little story:

We had an opening in the word processing center where I work at at my local college.

The starting pay was $9.02/hour.

Eighteen people applied, six of them had a Master's Degree.

I don't know a Master's in what though, so your guess is as good as mine.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here is a little story:

We had an opening in the word processing center where I work at at my local college.

The starting pay was $9.02/hour.

Eighteen people applied, six of them had a Master's Degree.

I don't know a Master's in what though, so your guess is as good as mine.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Where in Illinois?

What has the population increase been in the area?

According to wiki, there's been a 2.5% population increase in NYC in since 2000, but from 1990 to 2000 there was a 9.4% increase.....

Um Yeah, thats what we could call cherry-picking or spurious correlation.

Or rather, could it in fact be possible that money is going to other charities besides turkeys without a home?

Okay, lets be real: 52*2.8= lets's say about 150K. What is the cost of living in New York?

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

Salary in New York (Manhattan) NY:
$150,000
Comparable salary in Chicago IL:
$82,227.96

So right off the bat, we learn that what people make is relative to their location. Its simply more expensive to live in NYC (Manhattan) so it costs more, so folks have to be paid more to live there.

Where I live:
Comparable salary in Washington-Arlington-Alexandria DC-VA:
$102,233.26

Basically, what I myself make. And I'm not filthy rich.

So, yeah, this is NOT a valid snapshot of the American Economy because Bozo forgot to think about how much it costs to live in different places.

Hmmm I wounder if a higher number of aged are the ones pushing the % up on the ones who need the pantry food? The SS stipend doesn't raise in direct proportion to the cost of living raise that comes with having the highest pay rate.

Top Bottom