A Spain Game

We raze Tuitan. It's personal preference, no solid reason. Notice the jungle spices has been fixed, it's now a rainforest.

Although I know how expansion stability works, I don't know how crises work. So I want to be careful not to raze too many cities.

Don't forget to have some units defend the possible barb dog soldiers from the peaks.

Now this is what a was expecting with my Spain suggestion, very interesting so far ... and things to come for sure :D I like your core city placement and how you dealt with France.

And Congo and Tibet game to come :cool:

Now this is what a was expecting with my Spain suggestion, very interesting so far ... and things to come for sure :D I like your core city placement and how you dealt with France.

And Congo and Tibet game to come :cool:

All the Euro civs have good potentials. The only problem is some of the games take too long.

I think you should do a Canada game sometime.

I'd like to, but my crappy machine won't let me.

Be careful of hostile villagers when settling the Caribbeans. :D We call it a poisonous mushroom.

And I've always thought amphibious landing only gives a 25% penalty! It's actually 50% instead.

We settle Santo Domingo and Santiago de Cuba(maybe 1W is better). These are the trading company cities. Unfortunately, we haven't aqcuired any related resources yet.

It took me a while to take Cuzco, I was going to starve it down and raze it. But of course, with the Incan UP it was not going to starve. :p So I keep the city instead.

We are stealing from our neighbors all the technologies we don't have. The +25%:espionage: from citadels is helpful. 240:espionage: for Philosophy, compare that with, say the 2000:science: you need as Khmer on Paragon. :lol:

We settle San Jose. No food in the 1st ring makes it harder to grow in the first 10 turns.

An overview of our cities. Basically it's Catholicism auto-spread, so don't worry about religions now. Spain has excellent distance and number of cities maintenance cost modifiers, and good research modifier too. Having ~40 cities is not going to be a problem on Regent difficulty setting.

-10 expansion stability is actually alright, it might be dangerous to go lower than -20.

We take Chan Chan and Tucume with our conquistador reinforcement from homeland.

Any extra :gold: is good. We sell Meditation to Mali for 70:gold:.

And we steal Paper from Byzantium.

A second great spy is born in Barcelona because of all the espionage missions we did. He'll prove to be useful at the end of the game.

We settle Monterrey near the razed Tuitan. Maybe 1NE is the better location, the silver tile can be controlled by another city, Durango.

Speaking of silver and gold, the second historical goal seems to ask for direct control of the resources. There're enough of them in our historical areas, but we can always get more.

I'm interested in buying the maps from China.

The Trading Company building is finished in Santiago, and we get to settle Manila for 200:gold:. Not sure if it's really worth the effort. Since we have a lot of other cities to produce settlers and military units, I'd say it doesn't hurt to build the national wonder.

We settle Grenada and Caracas. Notice our "friends" from the peak. We have conquistadors ready for them.

Finally, our first TC resource is connected.

I'm not settling Manila this time. The forest can be chopped to spead up the monastery.

Our first slave and maybe the only one in the game. It's expensive!

Even though Neapolis is historical for us, I'm not trying to war against Byzantium, at least not for now. It's not like we fear them either, but our next target is Holy Rome, not them.

Holy Rome is researching Printing Press, and we all know what that means. It means Protestantism. There were 2 Paragon v1.12 Spain games where the players killed or vassalized everyone in Europe and never researched Printing Press till the end of game, just to avoid Protestantism. One can try to do that, but stability is an issue. Alternatively, we choose to join the counter-reformation and kill any civilization that dare to convert, now that we already have great expansion stability potential.

Our only slave plantation this game.

The great artist Miguel de Cervantes is born in Santiago. We are not in a hurry to start a golden age yet.

I envy Netherlands and Portugal now.

The crazy Byzzies! I didn't notice their missionary works! They are spreading Orthodoxy everywhere and that's going to hurt us.

So we switch to Fanaticism. We lose the +25%:hammers: for buildings, which is a true loss for our new colonies, but it keeps us safe from Orthodoxy.

Portugal has collapsed.

Neapolis has seceded from Byzantium.

And we take it with pleasure.

We settle Guayaquil finally. It's super food rich but it has no production.

Basically we can have 2 gold and 1 silver from South America(excluding the Brazilian one). 1 from the Phillipines and 1 from homeland. There are 5 more in North America, 1 in Mesoamerica. That's already 11, so the second historical is rather easy if you just conquer the Americas and found all the cities.

Japan has collapsed. Interesting, they have gold and silver too, and their cities can grow large. A Spanish takeover is in order.

I'm desperately looking for more TC resources. We get them through trade.

And through force.

We settle Durango. Did I mention I build workboat->monastery->temple->courthouse in all my new colonies?

Santiago finishes the Leaning Tower. Notice we are researching Military Science to deal with the incoming barb privateers. I don't want to lose any Galleons to them.

Protestantism has been founded in Frankfurt! But wow, no one converted. Will you call us lucky? No! They are lucky to not have converted!

We steal Printing Press from Holy Rome right on the turn.

We need to join the counter-reformation to reduce Protestantism spread anyway.

Protestantism has only spread to a few of our larger cities. Of course we will persecute them. :devil:

Starting from Neapolis. It even has Orthodoxy.

We finally settle Buenos Aires. It's one of the richer spots, maybe we should've settle it earlier.

We have declared war on Holy Rome nevertheless, and Viking asks for our protection. They seem to have been on a war with Holy Rome since the beginning of time. :lol: The traded silver doesn't seem to register in the UHV goal counter.

As we are invading Holy Roman territory, Pamplona finishes the Sistine Chapel.

And Cordoba finishes the Versailles which has started our golden age.

We settle Campeche. You must have remembered this from the Maya game.

Persecution in Santiago. It kills quite a few population points.

We take Frankfurt. Venedig secedes. With conquistadors and bombards, we are practically invincible. But of course don't forget to train the units.

Viking quickly collapsed due to instability. Well I was all excited for nothing! At least they gave us Military Tradition...

The persecution continues. It's really inconvenient you can only have 1 persecutor unit at a time.

We take a second city, Wien, from Holy Rome.

And it's enough to make them capitulate.

Venedig is razed.

Jails give another +25%:espionage:, but we don't have need for it this game. The expasion stability bonus is welcome though.

More persecution going on.

Byzantium has also collapsed.

We settle Montevideo. I'm a bit conservative this game, I could've settled Brazil.

Concepcion de Chile is founded.

Do I have to post all the persecutions? :lol:

We found the city of Los Angeles.

Persecutors swarm in Frankfurt.

It seems like only the Collect Tithe resolution can succeed.

Sometimes persecutions fail and I have to try again. Having only 1 persecutor unit is really inconvenient.

We are selling maps for a good price.

We take independent Belgrad.

There's a Holy Roman revolt going on in Wien. I'm seeing a lot of these in my recent games.

We settle Sonoma. This should conclude our expansion in the New World.

I have no use for our GGs, the best they can do is to create super medics.

As our fleet approaches the Japanses islands, a missionary tries to spread the religion into China, but fails.

We choose Chemistry as the free tech from Liberalism.

And we raze Nagasaki, it has almost no buildings inside. We'll build a new city ourselves.

There, much better now.

With this new gold, we have a total of 8 silver and gold. But the rainforest silver in Peru and the gold and silvers aren't even mined yet! Oh and I totally forgot all about settling South Africa, Durban is a good spot.

The Protestant Dutch have appeared. Why are they not shown in the victory conditions screen? Because they don't have a city in Europe yet.

Normally it takes a very long time for Sonoma to culturally controll all the precious metals. But we have a spare great artist :king:.

Hohoho! Here I come, my precious.

Meanwhile we can start a golden age.

A source of silver is discovered near Pamplona! :rolleyes:

We spread Catholicism to Amsterdam. I like the Dutch. ;)

My god, Konstantinoupolis is really a fortress. I don't have many troops left in Europe so taking the city will cost longer time.

We take Athenai. Notice how an indie catapult has retaken empty Belgrad.

We steal all techs from the Dutch, which is just Banking itself.

They have already converted to Catholicism. I must have bribed them to do so but I don't really remember. Anyway I'm gifting them a religious persecutor, in hope that they'll use it themselves. But that doesn't happen.

Is it because I poisoned their water and fomented unhappiness? :rolleyes:

Retaking Belgrad.

Forget what I said about Sonoma being our last expansion in the Americas. That's not true. We are looking for more TC resources! But those Mohawks! The settler commits suicide, which is against Catholic teachings. :crazyeye:

The silver mine is connected!

And that concludes our second historical goal. It's really not a problem when you dominate Europe and have no competitor colonizers.

Our expansion stability is pretty good. Actually there's quite some room for further expansion.

We only have trading company in the Caribbean cities, which is a shame.

Top Bottom