A stupid question

Should you declare war?

• Total voters

Nylan

Characters Welcome
Ok, heres the question:

If you invaded a country next to you, and you claimed the cities farthest from you, but another civ got the ones closest to you, essensially splitting your empire in two, do you declare war and try to bridge the gap if they are about as strong as you? I conquered Carthage, but the stupid Zulu built cities between Carthage and the motherland (Greece). I am in the middle of a war with them, and Im not sure if it was wise. After all, I am the only country bordering Rome, who happens to be turning a hungry eye my way.

Too little information. World map image???

It sounds like your military is not that strong if you are worried about Rome. With a decent military Rome is never a threat. Zulu can hamper you more in early game than Rome. You're Greece, Hoplites will work well versus lectionaries.

Eventually you will want to consolidate your empire. Whether too do it now depends on the situation and there is too little information currently.

PF

Well, Rome only borders me, so they naturally want my lands (and have a big military)I also have been warring a lot with the zulu. My soldiers take about 6-8 turns to get to the war zone and theirs take two (we are now fighting near zimbabwe.) I have very little men to spare to guard my flank.

You can't do a military solution now because of past decisions. Thus it is time for:

1- bribe, especially with luxuries that may buy you 20 turns of peace
2- alliance: you didn't mention what era you are in or what level your military is at. If later in game, use MPP, if earlier in game. Have embassies or luxury trade with other civs that you can level peace.
3- plan ahead. Maybe you need to figure out an end point for the Zulu war to deal with the
Rome problem. And naturally you can return to Zulu later. You don't want to conquer Carthage and Zulu and then be so weak that Rome takes the spoils of all your work and eliminates you.

PF

Thanx. Ill remeber that. Luckily, I have been able to consolidate my empire (if only by three squares) and ended the war soon afterwards. I have fortified my Roman boundary, waged a few wars with 3rd world countries to claim some strategic cities. Currently, I am in a war with Persia, who happens to be taking the offensive, unlike the Zulu and Carthaginians. I am now struggaling to take Tarsus a size 8 city.

I was able to pull myself out of trouble this time by quickly taking out the weakest enemy cities separating my cities. Next time, I shall be wiser with my diplomacy. Thanx Planetfall

You should definitly attack, but do so after you build up your military. If you're ahead of Rome & Zulus in techs, wait until you get Knights, then attack like mad.
A split empire is never good, unless you are confined to small islands and want to expand.

Top Bottom