A "tactical" real Earth Map Project

Skyrex

Chieftain
Hullo,
as I seem to be unpriviligeged to post a new thread in the map section, this seems to be the second most fittting place.

We know the YnAMP Earth Maps currently available for civ 6 and although they are great I have issues with both of them:
- giant is too big. Great level to detail is nice, but having to wait 3-4 minutes for one turn in the late game takes a lot of flow out and puts in tediousness for me personally. especially if I see how much Ice, Desert, and barren huge ocean areas are not adding any significant gameplay value as you won't really use those places anyway. But I suspect the AI-algorithms will go through every single tile every turn to calc what theay do, so it seems favourable to minimise non-useful-tiles, which I define as everything you would basically just go straight though to get to something useful again. You can't leave out the sahara desert really, without losing the idea of 'real' earth, but you can do that with ocean and ice that's close to map borders
- europe is too big in enourmus: I hate the upscaled europe approach! If I want to give every Civ same chances, I wouldn't play on real earth. Europe is historically a cramped place, and cramming it up actually incentivises colonies. I'm totally fine with britain having only space for maybe two cities, because there is so much more 'world' to settle outside europe

With this in mind I plan on creating a new 'tactical' real earth map, once the worldbuilder is released. Size wise it will be around 10500 to 12000 tiles (slightly above the games vanilla 'huge' at 9600) and way smaller than current giant earth (17000). Thinking of a scale of 140x75 to 150x80.

I set out to create some outlines in the CIV V SDK, here's eurasia and africa prototype:

i.imgur.com/jDB2PYB.png

to be able to cut of northern russia and canada I sloped over scandinavia quite a bit. To save water tiles I plan to shrink the pacific quite a bit, so new zealand will end up south-line of mexico. apart from that the sizes shall be to scale roughly. And two-three added pieces of antarctica way out of position at the bottom to give some purpose to the water bodies.

What do you think?

A little Update,
I started editing in the WIP-Civ 6 Worldbuilder and have the outlines settled now (I think). I went for 150x75 hexes, being just slightly bigger than the vanilla huge.
Can't take a whole map-screen, there is no way in civ 6, just look at the minimap for now:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 468
Well I had to put it to a halt for now, as I'm unable to put down marshlands and some of the natural wonders... and some ressourcers are also wonky.

But for everone wishing to see how it looks so far, here is the save. Just put it in your Documents-Civ6-saves-WorldBuilder and load it up with said Worldbuilder.

Attachments

• Earth.rar
    53 KB · Views: 130
Top Bottom