1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Tale of Two Cities

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game III: RPG' started by Octavian X, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

Medieval Fanatica, 500 A.D.

Tensions once again mount internally within the Empire. In the west, a movement centered in Gorina, a city world-famous for it's Great Wonders, clashes with the east, centered in the equally famous capital, Noshuret.

The people of the west, long secure from invasion, yearn for a rebublican government. They argue that in such modern times, it is backwards for such a great nation to follow a single Emperor in distant Noshuret.

The people of the eastern cities fully support the Emperor, pointing to the great military he controls, one that protects the Eastern Empire from Aztec and Egyptian raids and invasion. A republic, they say, would weaken the military and cause the great nation to collaspe.

The two cities most involved in this debate are the two eldest in the land, Noshuret and Gorina.
    Gorina, since ancient times, has had it's own republican municipal government. They point to the great freedoms enjoyed by Gorian citizens as reason enough to topple the Emperor of Noshuret., to end the practice of placing the fate of millions in the hands of one person.
    Noshuet, since the beginning of time, has been the seat of the Empire. The fact that Noshuret, and the rest of Fanatica, has remained safe from the raids of nomads, and Epyto-Aztec hordes, they credit with the great central command of the Emperor. If placed in the hands of a weak, republican govenment, the famous ineffciencies that regularly plauge Gorina would then plague the rest of the Empire.

At this time when feudal practices are started and going strong, what role will YOU play? Will you pledge allegience to the Emperor's Throne, or will you work against him?

----

Basically, this is just a story thread. No real rule, just keep it all in early medieval times. You're free to chose your own place, own position to support, etc.

Basic rules:
    -No 'godmodding' (I kill you with my 30000000 nukes!!!!!!!1)
    -No gunpowder, lightsabers, and the like.
    -Don't post twice in row, so others have a chance.
    -Be nice. Don't kill off another player in just one post. Give the other player some time to respond, etc.

If necessary, I'll rule posts invalid, but I doubt I'll have too. Also, in battle, if you like, I'll decide the outcome.

Also, this is just based on the Fanatican story. Everything from this point doesn't have to follow the Fanatican storyline. Whoever was President back then doesn't HAVE to be Emperor now, etc. Both sides have a fair chance of winning: just because in-game we went Republic doesn't mean this one has too.

Have fun!

2. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

In a dark alley in Gorina, a man made of Gingerbread lurks. He says nothing much, but often votes in the republican polls, where the senators of Gorina oft make their decisions from.

George Breadman (if that is his real name) had long withdrawn from public life if Fanatika. In his own way, he had entered his own little world, that only a select few were involved in. A world where men could catch games from the firey axis they were created by. A world where one could live in the sacred forests, or roam the hills made of iron. To everyone else, this was a hallucination, something that didn't exist. But to him it was very real, and there was no need to leave his imaginary world.

But something was tempting him to come out of the shadows, to look around, to look at what others saw, to think about what others think, to rejoin larger society. To the imperial forces, all he wanted was to create disorder, anarchy. But he had discovered that his purpose was to make his glorious nation a land where the people reign, where liberty rules over opression and heirachy.

George Breadman wanted a republic!

At first, George was cast back into the shadows that he had emerged from. To them, he was simply disrespectful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hello, I am Mr. Breadman from Liberty2ThePeople inc. We are a political party lobbying for more power to be shifted to the common man, the ordinary peasant, the people that do a hard day's work, who deserve much more than what they are paid. Are you interested in hearing our policy?"

"Oh how most unrightious fellow! I cast thee out of my house. Go back to the shadow, where you belong. And never disrupt my street again"

"But our liberties are prreecious! Come with me, cast away that sickening shadow of your imperial past, and celebrate the fact that the nation is not some king on an elaborate seat, but us!"

"Have you no respect for the ever-wise king? If I were him, I would banish you forever from Noshuret! The entire Fanatikan empire! Out, you baggage!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although the start was tough, George Breadman did lobby some friends for his cause. One of which was... [continue the story, somebody!]

3. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

...Sir Samuel A. A. McGuiness, or just plain SaaM. SaaM was what you would call a Rara Avis. He was a tad bit ecentric and broke out into song for no apperant reason at various moments. He also did not like the taste of Gingerbread. He did like, however, power to the people. As a part of L2TP Inc, he also went door to door, and tried to convince people to join. No such luck. Well, anywho, he just sang alot on his journeys. He was supposed to meet George somewhere.
    Like George, SaaM had Broken Away from Fanatica in the past years. He was looking to Conquest the world and would even go Dutch if he had to. But now, it was as if he was pulled back. No longer was he squabbling over his name in stone, now he has returned to Fanatica.
    He was headed to the headquaters of L2TP Inc. They were about to assign him and George a mission.

4. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Deity

In the streets of Nar Shaddaa, second home of the Republican cause, a man covered in a black cloak walked quickly and purposefully down a shadowy alley in the dead of night. He came upon a door, from under which a warm light glowed. He knocked on the door. A small view-door opened in the top of the door.

Set of Eyes: Who be ye? What business do you have here?

Cloaked Man: I am come to have a drink with an old friend and discuss the rhetoric of revolution.

Set of Eyes: Aye, indeed. Enter.

The cloaked figure could hear the door unlock from the inside. Then the door swung open and the man entered a short hallway with a fire burning in the corner. He walked down the hall and approached another door. He entered a parlor, drenched in firelight.

Augustus Antony: Welcome, my friend. What brings you here this night?

Justinian Caliguli: The word on the streets is that the revolution is near. The people are becoming more and more discontent with the rule of the Emperor. They say they want to create a Republic. I have even heard talk of breaking away from Fanatica itself and forming a new nation.

Augustus: Madness. Shear madness! Don't they realize that the second they are "free" from Noshuret's military protection, the Babylonians and Persians will pounce on them like leopards?

Justinian: The strong words of charismatic leaders plays havoc on the minds of men. You should know this better than anyone else, my friend. The populace is stirred up by the speeches of a handful of popular folk heros. Some have been preaching the use of political and economic means to force a change to republic. Others have called for the use of military force to unseat the Emperor, or even to break away from the Motherland. We cannot allow this to happen.

Augustus: Indeed. If Gorina turns against the Empire, Nar Shaadda will follow. Then the entire West. And then Fanatica will be doomed. But how do we stop it?

Justinian: How many friends do we have in this city?

Augustus: This is a city of 780,000. Of them, a majority of 500,000 are Republicans, while 280,000 are with us. But our men hold quite a bit of power here. They are garrison commanders, judges, sheriffs, jailers, and local officials. We are outnumbered, but perhaps not overpowered.

Justinian: Excellent. Call a meeting of our top men for the night after next. Then we can accurately judge the true strength of our organization. We cannot allow this revolution to take place.

Augustus: You are entirely right, my friend. I will call the meeting. We will find a way to stop this madness. SPQF.

Justinian: Indeed. For the glory of the Empire.

With that, the man left, walking quickly down the unlit alley, and then turning down onto an open street to return home. Tomorrow would be a long day.

5. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

A rider approached Ft. Gorina. He entered the barracks, found it's head officer, and rode off.

The commander of the installation, Gen. Marcus Julius Octavius, took the communication with wonder. What would be so important as to cause Imperial riders to visit the fort?

He opened it the scroll.

Official Communication
    Headquarters of the Imperial Fanatican Grand Army

Gen. Octavius:

You and the Western Legionary Division are, by order of the Emperor, to keep republican unrest to a minimum. Increase patrols in all cities, especially in Gorina.
    Keep visibility to a minimum. Instruct soldiers on patrol to keep a low profile, in citizen clothing if necessary. Instread of conducting exercises in forums, conduct them outside of town.
    As a special measure for the city of Gorina, the Emperor has authorized the you to dissolve the Municipal Senate if necessary to prevent unrest.
    Do all that is necessary to keep the western cities under control.

Octavius finished reading the grim notice. Hopefully, it wouldn't come to that...

6. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

Later that day, George Breadman met SaaM in the markets, behind the fruit stall.

"SaaM, we are being watched. Keep your paths erratic and difficult to follow. You must loose yourself in the crowds, to avoid the empire's watchful eye. Rumour has it that The imperial army's greatest general is trying to catch out those who lurk in the shadows. Meet me at sunset between the markets and the library, and from there I will tell you where to go"

"George, the Municipal senate is being watched. It is not safe there. We must..."

"Never mind the Municipal Senate. We will discuss these matters later. For now, let us worry about disappearing."

And so SaaM walked away, jumped in the back of a cart, and disappeared from sight of the Imperial Minders.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As prepared, at sunset, SaaM and George Breadman met between the markets and the library. George ate himself to help pass time, while SaaM prefered the sirloin he had knocked of the back of a cart. They were waiting for the leader of L2TP. He was late. Whether that was planned to throw the imperial minders that Octavius had assigned to watch him, or that he really was late, was of much interest. But surely, he turned up.

"Enter the library using seperate entrances. Both go to the bookkeeper seperately, and ask for the location of "SPQF: Our nation, the people". There the bookeeper will take you to the meeting room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later, in the meeting room.
    "Octavius is attempting to sway the Municipal Senate. In our spirit of keeping one step ahead of the empire, we are installing a puppet senate, whose purpose is to keep the emporer convinced that we are not trying to overthrow him. The municipal senate is being relocated to a secret location. George Breadman, who will now be known as Gregorious, your task is to lead the new puppet senate. SaaM, your task is to...