a war-diplomacy strategy

sarer

Chieftain
Hi *,

I've successfully applied a new strategy. Here it's for your comments:

Early Stages:
Choose a religious civ like Babs.
Concentrate on science, culture, and trade.
Don't expand your territory much even if you can.
Avoid early wars at any expense. That means give them what they want and bribe,bribe,bribe

Middle Ages and on:
Monitor your borders for any malicious activity.
Designate one civ as your potential enemy (the one that may be more advanced or affluent) and make sure all except that civ are either polite or gracious to you.
Sign a mutual protection pact with all and go on war with your closest rival. Once you're done with him, turn your attention to the next one.

Finally, you decide how to finish:
Conquest, Domination, Diplomatic, Cultural, Spaceship, or Histograph

I've tried it on a custom map. This one is possibly applicable on small to medium maps.

And here is how I've actually applied it:
Level is monarch. I am Bab., advanced in science & culture, affluent but militarily weak. Aztecs were my closest rivals (histographically). I realized that they were getting ready for a war. With my cultural influence and historically good relations, it was easy to make Persians, Zulus, and Iroq.s sign a mutual prot. pact with me. One turn later, Aztecs declared war. The other 3 immediately reacted and practically during the next 10-15 turns, it was them who protected my cities from warmonger Aztecs. At the same time, I started building a military and by the end of the war, I was not weak anymore but average compared to other armies.

Aztecs were reduced to 1/3 after this war. I was inarguably the strongest civ. I didn't occupy the land left from razed Aztec cities, though. The others shared the booties instead. Iroq. was weak. Zulu was weak but expansionist. Persians were heading to become the no. 2. I renewed my protection pacts with all but Aztecs who were hateful towards me.

Some peaceful years passed. Persians started to get militarily active along my borders. I got my army ready which was now stronger than all the others. When Persians finally attacked, Iroq. and Zulu declared war immediately. I occupied some Persian cities and razed some. Persians lost another 1/3 of their soil due to ferocious Zulu attacks.

Now, I've reached the age where oil is the most strategic resource and guess which civs got it? Aztecs and Zulus. Now I am preparing to invade some oil-rich Aztec districts. I'll sign peace with Persians. Make a pact with all but Aztecs and go get "my share" of the world oil:)

At this point, every other civilization is admirer of my culture. I have the biggest land, strongest army, most advanced civ and quite strong finance. So far so good....

If you see some flaws, I'd like to hear it.

Top Bottom