A War of One Turn

nickmandler

L'utilisateur du site web
It is very possible to take out any enemy in just one turn, no matter how gigantic their empire may be. I've done it at least 3 times. If you want a truly unstoppable blitz, read on!

Like any strategy, there are prerequisites. You must be able to build railroads, the enemies must have their cities mostly connected by roads or railroads, and they must be in decent proximity, meaning that you will have to wait a while if you can't get to their noncontiguous cities.

The first thing to do is to prepare your military and workers. You must have many fast units, either cavalry or modern armor. The bigger the enemy, the more you'll need. At least 3 per city is advisable. As for workers, you'll need an awful lot if the enemy doesn't have railroads everywhere, at least 2 per enemy city, ready to do what you tell them to do. Finally, if you want defense for the cities, have at least a few pikemen/riflemen/infantry/mech. inf. ready for the assault.

Now you are prepared.

Make absolutely certain that your railroad network has a link to the enemies' roads. Build these before you declare war, and be ready, with your units near their borders, on your railroad. It is best to attack a culturally weak city first, because your units won't waste as many movement points geting to the city. Also, you'll be within bombardment range if you want to do so.

Attack and take the city. If this is hard for you, you may want to bring along some bombers and take a few more turns than you wanted to take. If the enemy has only roads, use your workers to build the railroad to the city, up to the new enemy border, and bring your next unit up to attack the next city.

You can see where this is going. Each time you take a city, network it and move your next unit forwards. As long as the next city's cultural borders are less than 3 squares away, you can continue. Branch out, there's often a back way into the city. Now that you hold the core of their empire, take the next couple of turns to capture any isolated outlying towns. For the majority of civs, you will have destroyed them in one turn.

Originally posted by nickmandler
For the majority of civs, you will have destroyed them in one turn.

Maybe on Chieftain level ....

On Emperor the only way to take out a powerful civ in one turn is to sign an ROP and position about 10 MAs or 10 RAs and 5 MAs outside each and every one of their cities, then declare war and take them. Of course, the real strategy here is not doing so, but building 100's of MA's!

One turn is unrealistic.

Unrealistic in almost every situation AND if you are powerful enough to do it You should have done so 50 turns earlier in a war of 6 turns or so, you have wasted good expansion time waiting till your that strong

Frekk and Trev are right, the only reason one would pull this off is because they could. If it did work, it's a sure sign they're the last civ left (in which case you'd probably trigger Domination) or someone's playing too low a level.

Playing too low a level is fine if someone's trying to get into the CFC HOF or something, but in cases like those points matter and they'd have just ROP-raped 'em a new one already.

Sheesh, at that point, I'd just raze everything and flood the area with Settlers who'd get already improved terrain.

On deity level i wiped out a civ in 1 turn, they were one of the most powerful too :) (they had about 10 Metropolises)

I dont go to war unless i know that i can wipe the civ out in 1 - 4 turns. I dont like the war wearyness, and just the drawn outness of it all. I play only on Emporer level... now.

Another, easier way to do this is to attack a civilization you directly border. Use your rails to position a few MA's on the border of every one of their cities. Then move in and in the same turn as your declaration of war, you should be able to conquer half their empire. This has worked for me on Warlord, though I haven't tried it on the higher levels yet.

What level do you think I should be playing? And, by the way, I couldn't declare war earlier because I work my way around the big snake of a continent, killing all of those I touch. This was on a 200*230 map, and it took me a while to get through 15 civs.

This is definitely a sound strategy. I always have hordes of workers supporting my post-railroad attacks.

However, there is one thing nickmandler forgot. Settlers.

The core cities of any enemy empire will have huge cultural borders, often making it impossble to reach them and attack them, even with 3 move. So what you do is plop down a city next to the border, and voila, your border expands one tile into their territory. In effect this gives you one free move. If the border still is too far, plop down a few cities more. This tactic will also make it possible for your artillery to get close enough to bombard in one turn.

Then, when you have captured the enemy city, you can abandon the unnecessary cities.

It is definitely possible to take over a large portion of an empire, even if playing on a decent level, and the empire you are dealing with is rather large. As others have said, though, one turn just means that the situation is one you could have foregone long before. If another civ has a large number of cities without cultural improvements (or just one cultural expansion), you can use a large stack of MA's (or cavalry) to take out cities. This works better if there are already existing railroads. If you have been working over another empire before such an invasion, and you are just turning your attention on the one you are attacking, this is certainly a good idea, because it means you actually have been doing something with that large number of units. Otherwise, like the others said, kill them earlier.

Top Bottom