A Wiki Revival Project

Enginseer

Salientia of the Community Patch
Supporter
As the community grows and prosper, I notice a lot of people were missing key information on corporations and how vassalage actually worked. I was legitimately surprised. These were concepts that had already existed, but why would they be not common first-hand knowledge? Because the wiki never had them. Which is why I am calling for a revival to the Vox Populi Wiki. At the beginning of its time, it had initially 2000 readers each day until stagnating to a quarter of that past number today.

For all future modders, the wiki has been an important source of information to understanding the game concepts and balance of the game which is why before anyone leaves PMs on how to solve a mod's incompatibilities that they compile themselves some edits in the wikia before I am willing to talk to them.

I'm giving myself at least 5 edits a day from July 4th to August 4th leading up to at least 150 new page entries or modifications. (This will go further in depth where people can't just copy and paste from Civ 5 Wiki into our wiki such as the game concepts of how vassalage and monopolies work)

Why? Because everytime I see the same question over and over and the same answer repeated. That should not be the case. It should be the case where people cite a wiki page and users learn more on that. The Wiki should be a reliable source of information not an outdated source of information. The Wiki is the Vox Populi's legacy and showing how updated the wiki page is shows how progress has been greatly made.

Why I? I used to administrate the AOEO Wikia page before AOEO was shut down. Despite its support phase of no more new content, a few users and I worked hard to continuously update the page before the game shut down making a very significant change over time as the "AOEO Rewritten" possibility might come to reality and people may use the wikia for reference.

Now I administrate the CBP Wikia during its early development and now I must nurture the wiki to Vox Populi's legacy. The Wikia however cannot be done by myself and a few future modders of Vox Populi. The Wiki can only be as strong as the community is willing to support. Do your part. Let the voice of the people be heard.

Disclaimer: I'm also ignoring all future PMs concerning modding unless you can show at least you tried to contribute to the Wiki.

Last edited:
Yeah. VP wiki currently has quite a bit of outdated information. But the problem is that I cannot sure wiki does or I do. And experimenting for making sure is not easy to light users just like me. But I'll keep trying to contribute toward wiki.

I've started a new page : http://civ-5-cbp.wikia.com/wiki/Gameplay_modifications
The goal is to be a short version of the "unified changelog", including every gameplay changes, mainly thoses who are not obvious
(ex : the fact that a unit in garnison can take damages can be a bad surprise, ...)
I will need peoples knowing CP better than me in order to say which change apply to CP and VP, and which change is VP only.
(And feel free to help for the VP section too)

But the problem is that I cannot sure wiki does or I do. And experimenting for making sure is not easy to light users just like me
Same here. Many times we discuss something, I'm not at home or can't/won't turn on my pc just to check civilopedia, so I go to the wiki and find outdated content. But changes happen so fast! Just keeping track of what Gazebo and Ilteroi are doing is tiresome. Add Enginseer and that's impossible.
So I see two ways of doing this. First, some brave people update content on every new (non beta) release. Second, some not so brave people just update things in the wiki when the same questions arise too often in the forum.

The goal is to be a short version of the "unified changelog", including every gameplay changes, mainly thoses who are not obvious
A complete list is daunting. A short version may be not enough. Also, who remembers how things worked in vanilla?
Perhaps a comprehensive list of features, with a small explanation, and a link to where it can be better explained would work better. This can be long, though.

For example, in the Combat section, it can be mentioned that some units can benefit from terrain defensive bonuses, adding a link to terrain types page, where it says everything about terrain: yields, movement cost and defensive bonuses. In case a bonus is changed later, it only needs to be updated in one page. While this may be the same for vanilla, many new players seem to ignore that knights can't fortify or use terrain defense bonuses.
Movement could be included in combat section.
Basic land/sea movement, roads/railroads, complete stops (zone of control, rivers, embarks, Great Wall), special movement (siege units in enemy territory, charriots in rough, promotions). Not explained in detail, we don't need to know how many tiles we will be able to advance with railroads with what technology, just knowing that movement over roads is faster is enough.

The no need for setup in siege units can be explained in a section called Highlights for military units:
Common: Lose movement after attack. Movement points can be used for movement or attack action. [...]
Siege: Can't fortify, Don't get terrain bonus. Unit specialized in breaking city defenses, fortified positions and large stacks of enemies. Don't need to set up for firing, but movement is lower in enemy territory.
Melee: Basic land unit. All purpose balanced unit and strong vs cities.
Ranged naval: Short ranged damage, can move after attack. Dominates the shores and useful against coastal cities.
[...]

I did read once the complete changelog and it's crazy. Besides, I didn't understand most concepts. Many changes didn't have sense to me, other than showing that this is a complete overhaul.

EDIT.
I think there is somewhere a reddit post stating what is different in VP, intended as a teaser. I did my little part with small guides about most diverse things in this forum.

The wiki for me is a place where finding the details, like how much food a desert tile produces, how much gold you get from city connections, and the like. But you all have reason to add something like the complete changelog, but no so complete, so people can learn the game without asking in the forum. I'm always advicing a 0 difficulty first game as a tutorial, but there could be this full guide on game mechanics.

If I make this in the forum, can someone port it to the wiki?

Last edited:
Finishing the wiki will be a daunting task, but I think that once it's finished, keeping it up to date won't be too bad. The changes with each patch are very well-documented and not all that extensive.

I would be happy to assist with this (MFA in English/Writing) but though I have followed this project closely for 18 months I don't recall ever seeing a repository of the raw data and changelogs such that I could compile a current Wiki or Help file using the latest correct yields and properties.

I would be happy to assist with this (MFA in English/Writing) but though I have followed this project closely for 18 months I don't recall ever seeing a repository of the raw data and changelogs such that I could compile a current Wiki or Help file using the latest correct yields and properties.
Civilopedia.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Last edited:
Ia there a way to make the civilopedia accessible via the wiki? I mean, the texts Already exist somewhere....
I'd love to check up on all the various policies, religious beliefs etc. on mobile or at workbreaks, to not waste precious time once I'm finally able to continue my game(s).

Ia there a way to make the civilopedia accessible via the wiki? I mean, the texts Already exist somewhere....
I'd love to check up on all the various policies, religious beliefs etc. on mobile or at workbreaks, to not waste precious time once I'm finally able to continue my game(s).
copy-paste.

Well, I know what I'd do, if I didn't have an one-week-old and a wife demanding my almost full attention... It'd sure be a start...

And my promise ended here today, but that doesn't mean the wiki isn't still being constantly updated. Within my promise, new game concepts were documented concerning today's questions during the period. Carry on, friends!

The wiki is currently 3 versions behind, but yet we still maintain an increased viewership of the previously as before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom