AA03: DeGaulle's Aggressive Adventures

Nothing to change, so just hit enter.

Mehmed comes asking for help against Asoka.

I turned him down considering our strongest unit are archers :eek:

Found a barb city outside our border just as copper comes online.

Great Spy spawned at Paris. Settling gives +3 beakers and +12 esp while Scotland Yard doubles the esp which only comes to 8 esp total, so settling is the way to go which is what I did.

Stupid barbs, if only they'd move their city 1E it'd be worth keeping.

Asoka comes asking for help against Mehmed. I also turned him down.

Herodotus still thinks we're forgotten.

Asoka wants OB now. This is more acceptable.

Alpha in, Fishing next.

Fishing in, Sailing next. (forgot pix)

Our mysterious last opponent is no other than HC.

Another war horn sounded

Another barb city spawned near black dot.

Hammy wants us to stop trading with Brennus ... nah.

Sailing comes in and both the corn and silver comes online ridding us of unhealthiness and adding more happiness

Research is set on Math breaking even at 70%.

Attachments

• AA03 BC-0140.CivBeyondSwordSave
    160 KB · Views: 61
Overall good set berserkers, nice to see we're still alive (and are actually producing some beakers.

We should focus EPs on 2-3 opponents. Drawback on EE is that you can only get techs the AI researched, so never focus on only 1 AI.

:coffee:

Roster:
Kikinit
beserks01 - just played
Imhotep - up now
pholkhero - on deck
mystyfly
negyvenketto

@greyfox: 'm sorry, thats the roster from the first post in this thread. Right, you also joined... sometime :D

@GreyFox:

Actually a swap would suit well here as I'm drowning in work. Could you take it ?

great turns, beserks. any set where we haven't fought anyone yet (esp Rome) is great, imo! I think we should get a few units up, and go barb hunting, and settle black dot, too.

Roster:
beserks01 >> just played
Imhotep >> on deck
pholkhero >> UP NOW
mystyfly
negyvenketto
GreyFox >> just played

I started off going through our three meager cities. Both Paris and Orleans are horrendously food-poor: -14 @ Paris, -10 @ Orleans. I’m guessing we should farm everything in both places, and see how they fare as production centers. Lyons, otoh, has obscene amounts of food. I see GPF here, and the place where we’re going to get research over the short run, via scientists and cottages. (edit: I just figured out now that we should run cottages on every FP that’s not the Crazy Corn ™. )

We need more cities and workers, as well as garrisons and an army to go after these barb cities. So, there’s a lot to do, and I’m only going to play until Math comes in (16 turns) :D

This is the tech situation in 140 bc:

Nothing too great. it looks though we might as well take what we can. But, I’m going to hold off a bit, though on any trades just in case something else good comes in.

I also noted that power-wise, we must look like a tasty morsel to the other civs. THIS is the game experience I used to have on Monarch AggAI, so I guess it proves that SGs let you play one-over your SP level. We’re in last place, with 2 civs at 0.4 and 3 at 0.6.

In 95 bc, mehmed goes Buddhist, and sadly, we're still w/o religion. That would be nice to help us grow more.

80 BC: several builds finish ~
Paris: Archer > Worker (10 turns)
Orleans: Lyons > Settler (10 turns)
Lyons begins: Library (34 turns) This used to be a barracks build, but a library is far more important here, i think so I swapped it.

Next turn, JC dows Asoka. Interesting. I hope we get a religion soon. It would be nice to have some friends in the game, rather than a lonely, weak empire with crummy land! :goodjob:

35 BC: a GG was BIDL. Lots of fights going on.

Here’s the nearby barb city with plenty of axes:

5 BC: HC came by with an offer I couldn’t refuse:

He’s the only one we don’t have an OB agreement with, so I figured why not. We can always close them at the behest of someone else and score cheap diplo points.

10 AD

Dang! that stinks. would've bee nice to have it razed, and we could settle those clams/iron site, but . . .

25 AD ~ I finally pulled the trigger on our lone trade:

On the next turn, Delhi was captured by Brennus. We’re no longer last in score! :D

70 AD, and our civic expansion program bears fruit:
Paris: Worker > Archer (8 turns)
Orleans: Settler > Axeman (5 turns)
We can now settle and improve more! The settler is heading to the NW to found a city at brown dot. An axe is already en route. The worker starts a few roads.

85 AD and:

Our precious corn:

:jesus:

I whipped the library for 2 pop. We’ll need an aqueduct in lyons soon, too. maybe whip one at pop 6. but i still think we should hire two scientists next turn, and continue growing at the same time with those massive corn fields.

Here’s another city I thought we could settle:

Gets a few FPs, the iron and the incense. Also, here’s the overall situation of our empire, with color-coding:

Red dot=barb sword
Yellow dot=our axe; settler protection
Blue dot=archer watching barb city
Green dot=worker roading westward
Pink area=our settler is thereabouts. This pic was taken, apparently, before the settler moved, so i'm not exactly sure where it is.

Roster:
beserks01
Imhotep >> UP NOW
pholkhero >> just played
mystyfly >> on deck
negyvenketto
GreyFox >> just played

Attachments

• AA03 AD-0085.CivBeyondSwordSave
    173.9 KB · Views: 104
Imhotep might still be busy, so let's go ahead and give him a pass on this one.

Roster:
beserks01
Imhotep >> skipped
pholkhero >> just played
mystyfly >> UP NOW
negyvenketto >> on deck
GreyFox

Played 12, 85AD - 265AD

IBT
Brennus comes with a request I gladly agree (Asoka's nearly dead, and we get diplo with Brennus, JC, Mehmed

(1) 100AD
I get a RE to improve relations with JC. I pick the option that doesn't give any boni as JC is our first target, he is busy anyway and we'll soon join his buddhism-club

I also whip the barracks @ lyons

(4) 145AAD
Hammurabi builds the Mids. Anyone bets how long he'll keep 'em? :lol:

(6) 175AD
Hammurabi DOWs Honey... I just don't understand that AI...

(7) 190AD
I finally spot buddhist missionaries

IBT
SoZ and ToA are both BIDL the same turn

(8) 205AD
Rheims is founded

(9) 220AD
Buddhism spreads in Paris, I switch instantly (note: there is a second missionary who will spread in Orleans next turn)

(10) 235AD
With +shared religion and +shared war, we're now at pleased with nearly everyone so I beg meditation from JC

IBT
Asoka loses another city (to brennus)

(12) 265AD
Hamm thinks he's tuff - no man

I also beg Priesthood from Mao

---

I moved an axe from orleans east to the spot where the barb city was. Obviously it has been razed (yay) so we can settle 2 more cities. I queued up settlers in orleans and paris, both have been working on them some turns now and can be whipped. I strongly suggest whipping them instantly and rushing them there. That's where I'd plant those cities:

Another option would be "moai city" NE from its current location and the other city N but I definitely prefer the way I placed them here.

I also employed scientists @ lyons. It has about 30 turns until all the whip anger fades away (I also whipped the aqueduct). Keep them employed and regrow as soon as possible.

(Scary) Tech overview:

Relations :D

Our empire:

---
Roster:
beserks01
Imhotep
pholkhero
mystyfly - just played
negyvenketto - up now
GreyFox - on deck

View attachment AA03 AD-0265.CivBeyondSwordSave

Good turns guys.

Angle (barb city) looks like it will flip to us soon, should we keep it or raze and resettle at black dot?

We should also road to the cow (in our border) for more health benefits.

I definitely prefer "moai city" 1NE just because it wouldn't have enough food to work those hills where it is and we should nab that iron just to prevent it falling to an AI looking for iron.

Arretium looks like it's got a stack forming ... should keep an eye out for that as well.

I think we should raze angle. Black dot has some produciton potential, angle hasn't.

Maybe JC moves the units there because it has some chance of flipping? 7 turns into my set, Paris' borders expanded. Tiles that aren't in the outer ring become easily yours (USun explained something somewhere) so it's possible I think. Also JC is at war, we have a peace treaty (he gifted us meditation) and likes us while he has a worst enemy, asoka. An attack from him would be fatal but unlikely.

Looking at it again, we should probabely settle only the spot I marked with a "c", put moai there and eventually forget the other city. Look how many farms we'll need to irrigate those cities (if we ever make it to CS).

Parking a city 1NE of moai city will net both clams. With a lighthouse that should be good enough food to work those hills at least.

good turns, mysty. i think i agree with beserks (and you now, too) about moving the Moai city. Getting that iron online will be good for us, adn I just don't think we can afford more cities *just* yet.

Let's grab the iron, and build some swords (and more overall units). We also seem to need another worker or two.

let's also start to figure out how in the heck we're even going to try and win the game ~ i think, at this point, war is the only path left, aiming for Dom maybe. I don't know, it's going to be tough in any case. Let's here some more thoughts on the matter while we wait for negy.

i think i agree with beserks (and you now, too) about moving the Moai city. Getting that iron online will be good for us, adn I just don't think we can afford more cities *just* yet.
My first suggestion was merely the attempt to squeeze 2 cities in there.

Let's grab the iron, and build some swords (and more overall units). We also seem to need another worker or two.
That's what I did - building workers + axes (apart from those 2 settlers. The other settler can be used for black dot I think).

let's also start to figure out how in the heck we're even going to try and win the game ~ i think, at this point, war is the only path left, aiming for Dom maybe. I don't know, it's going to be tough in any case. Let's here some more thoughts on the matter while we wait for negy.
Hey, the settings cry for DOM victory. I just think we won't finish nearly as early as in AA02. With our crappy land we won't be able to produce enought units so we'll have to wait until we get a military tech advantage. Probabely rifles, or inf, or tanks, or...

Top Bottom